Menu

Would you read it?

I purchased A Mind at a Time a while back and finally got around to reading it. I checked the reviews on Amazon today (because I have a weird fascination with reviews:tongue_smilie:) and found out that the author was accused of molesting over 50 of his young patients. Before he went to trial, he committed suicide.

I don't think I could read it now. Would you? I've always heard good things about the book, but I couldn't help but think about all of those innocent boys.

I read it years ago, read almost all his books in fact. I found them all very useful. That said, I got them from the library. He didn't make any money off of me.

Would I read it now? Hmmm.... I don't know. That is difficult to decide. I was an advocate for sexually abused kids for 10 years and it feels very disloyal to say I would. At the same time, I did find the books very educational.

Is there a way you can borrow it from a library? Or get it used, so no money goes to his estate or whatever?

edited to add: I see you already own it. If I already owned it, yes, I would read it.

Just because he was accused doesn't mean he did it. A teacher at DH's old school (a boarding school) was accused and then committed suicide. DH and many of his friends who were at the school over a number of years were all adamant that this man was highly unlikely to have done what he was accused of. He was an excellent, inspirational teacher and a very kind man, he came to our wedding. It was very sad.

I purchased A Mind at a Time a while back and finally got around to reading it. I checked the reviews on Amazon today (because I have a weird fascination with reviews:tongue_smilie:) and found out that the author was accused of molesting over 50 of his young patients. Before he went to trial, he committed suicide.

I don't think I could read it now. Would you? I've always heard good things about the book, but I couldn't help but think about all of those innocent boys.

OMG! That is so shocking to me. That book is something I have referred to many times over the years and I went and heard Mel Levine speak when my son was small and was so impressed with him. He truly struck me as one of the good guys. I'm so sad to hear he committed suicide and I hope he didn't do what he was accused of.

Lisa

Just because he was accused doesn't mean he did it. A teacher at DH's old school (a boarding school) was accused and then committed suicide. DH and many of his friends who were at the school over a number of years were all adamant that this man was highly unlikely to have done what he was accused of. He was an excellent, inspirational teacher and a very kind man, he came to our wedding. It was very sad.

I definitely believe this happens and having met Mr. Levine, it is really shocking to think it's even a possibility that the accusations are true. I don't think his suicide in any way points to guilt, but I don't know any of the facts of the case.

Lisa