Menu

DS confusing d, b, p? Dyslexia concerns or too early?

llm

Hello everyone,

We are new to HS and have a DS who is almost 5. I feel he has great attention and is able to listen to full chapter books with what appears to be good comprehension. (For example, his current favorites are "The Hobbit" and "The Chronicles of Narnia" series). He shows readiness in many areas to begin schooling but, this week, we began reading lessons, and he really struggled with putting sounds with the word families (e.g., "at" family). He did better as we proceeded but continued to confuse b, p, d. I backed up and just did letter recognition, and he had a hard time with that. I am wondering how common this is? I am wondering if many children do this, or if this could be an early sign of dyslexia? I truly thought he would be ready, which is why this hit me hard, and now I am concerned about him. Any tips on how to help him?

Thank you for any advice and tips.

thank you everyone!!! oh you are so helpful. I am so appreciative to be able to hear from other HS moms--- it is hard to branch out into this new area, when many of my friends' children are heading off to school. Thank you for responding. That means a lot.

Yeah, b,d,p,q confusion is very common until 8 or 9. There are some people who are not dyslexic, have no literacy issues, who still have momentary 'second guessing' well into middle school.

I even saw an adult, who types almost exclusively, hesitate when writing. She was embarrassed and chalked it up to almost never having to write by hand.

Oh, and my 7 year old son can never remember what a 9 is. It is almost funny. Almost.

Well, you know, it is very confusing. They spend the first 5 or so years of their life being told that things don't change. Mama is mama even if she changes her hair. A ball is a ball if it is on the couch or under the couch. A chair is still a chair if it is on all 4 legs or tipped on its side. If the picture of the duckie is upside down, it is still a duckie.

Then along comes stupid bdpq and it all changes.

I posted the same thing last year when my son was 4.5 :lol:. I am a special ed teacher and everything freaks me out. Now less then a year later he is reading at a 2nd grade level and not confusing his letters. We had amazing success with letter recognition with the get ready for the code series.