Menu

Book Suggestion needed

4kiddies

A little background. My son is 9 and going into 3rd grade. However, he is a struggling reader and reads at about a mid year 1st grade. I'm looking for some suggestions on easy books that don't seem too babyish...

He's getting sick of Biscuit and Clifford, etc.

Can you suggest anything?

Thanks!

None of my kids read before the age of 9 (well my oldest was 8). The thing that helped them was being motivated to read certain books. My boys all cut their teeth on Calvin and Hobbes. I was amazed at how they could read the big words, but the pictures and context help, so you might want to mix some non-readers in with his deemed-more-appropriate-for-his-reading-level books. My kids also enjoyed My Father's Dragon, The Bunnicula series, Wayside School Series, Flat Stanley series, Billy and Blaze, Peanuts comics, and Garfield.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will look into all of them. He is so excited that reading is finally "clicking" for him, it has been a struggle. He wants to read but I don't want him to get frustrated with books that are too babyish or too hard.

Thanks again!

How about non-fiction picture books? I am amazed at how many heavy topics have been addressed in picture books--chemistry, all manner of history and geography, sports (!), you name it. He is probably close to being ready for the Horrible Science series, to which I credit my son's vast knowledge of random scientific facts. He may not quite be there, but probably soon.

Terri