Menu

If you did summer school this year how did it go?

We usually are really good about accomplishing goals. We hs lite in the summer, but this summer was a bust school-wise. So many activities, camps, and stuff going on, plus a family visit.

School starts in the next couple weeks and I don't want to start. Very unusual for me.

How did you do?

We did what I call a 'Writing Workshop' this summer, and it went very well! Yippee!! We used a combination of IEW's SWI-B and WWS (the first 7 weeks), and I am very happy with what we got accomplished. We were weak on writing, but I now feel we can build on what we learned as we head into the fall (this was done in between all the summer camps that we had going on around here, as well)!

Brenda

I did terrible.

I suffered 6 weeks of severe depression... I had a hard time getting out of bed, more else teaching. My mother broke her arm and moved in with us for a while, then children have been sick for the last two weeks and now my daughter will have surgery next week. **sigh**

I would say that we are still ahead of the pack, but we should have lapped them by now.

We did ok . . . i mean, my plans are always very light. ds 16 did about 2/3 of what I had planned and ds 8 did about 1/3 of what i had planned. And i think we only made it to the pool 6 or 8 times . . . not worth the membership.

I broke my toe last week and already had a knee injury, so i'm struggling to get anything done since I cant stand or walk. we are supposed to start in 10 days but i'm not sure we will. (i take 2 weeks off between semesters to deep-clean and lesson-plan)

We did what I call a 'Writing Workshop' this summer, and it went very well! Yippee!! We used a combination of IEW's SWI-B and WWS (the first 7 weeks), and I am very happy with what we got accomplished. We were weak on writing, but I now feel we can build on what we learned as we head into the fall (this was done in between all the summer camps that we had going on around here, as well)!

Brenda

Wow, that is the kind of thing I used to accomplish when the kids were little during summer. Good for you!

I did terrible.

I suffered 6 weeks of severe depression... I had a hard time getting out of bed, more else teaching. My mother broke her arm and moved in with us for a while, then children have been sick for the last two weeks and now my daughter will have surgery next week. **sigh**

I would say that we are still ahead of the pack, but we should have lapped them by now.

I'm sorry. You had a rough time of it. It's probably better you didn't get more done. You are normally wonderwoman. :grouphug:

We did ok . . . i mean, my plans are always very light. ds 16 did about 2/3 of what I had planned and ds 8 did about 1/3 of what i had planned. And i think we only made it to the pool 6 or 8 times . . . not worth the membership.

I broke my toe last week and already had a knee injury, so i'm struggling to get anything done since I cant stand or walk. we are supposed to start in 10 days but i'm not sure we will. (i take 2 weeks off between semesters to deep-clean and lesson-plan)

Yes, injuries really take it's toll. You guys did a lot though considering what you went through. :001_smile:

We had a great summer school session, though we normally do hunker down in the heat and study hard in the summer. That said, I missed summer this year. We normally don't do much 'summer' stuff anyway, but this year we didn't even get to the pool much. I feel so sad that we seemed to have missed summer. (I think this is partly because I also missed spring, dealing with an ill parent out-of-state.)

DS was in two week-long camps (chess and art) and a three-day basketball camp. He also took golf lessons at the crack of dawn :tongue_smilie: and continued on with music lessons.

Our library had a wonderful series of lectures on American history; we were able to attend five. I'm counting that period of history as 'done.' :D

We also attended our first Shakespeare in the Park production and enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to go to another this fall.

We got a lot covered academically - finished one math program and one art program and read a chapter of SOTW daily. DS has made a lot of progress in spelling this summer, but we are still just plugging along with writing. :tongue_smilie:We re-read Peter Pan this summer, as DS didn't remember reading it several years ago. I enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

We had a great summer school session, though we normally do hunker down in the heat and study hard in the summer. That said, I missed summer this year. We normally don't do much 'summer' stuff anyway, but this year we didn't even get to the pool much. I feel so sad that we seemed to have missed summer. (I think this is partly because I also missed spring, dealing with an ill parent out-of-state.)

DS was in two week-long camps (chess and art) and a three-day basketball camp. He also took golf lessons at the crack of dawn :tongue_smilie: and continued on with music lessons.

Our library had a wonderful series of lectures on American history; we were able to attend five. I'm counting that period of history as 'done.' :D

We also attended our first Shakespeare in the Park production and enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to go to another this fall.

We got a lot covered academically - finished one math program and one art program and read a chapter of SOTW daily. DS has made a lot of progress in spelling this summer, but we are still just plugging along with writing. :tongue_smilie:We re-read Peter Pan this summer, as DS didn't remember reading it several years ago. I enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

Very impressive. You guys got a ton done. Can you get out this weekend and get in some quick summer time?

I'm sorry. You had a rough time of it. It's probably better you didn't get more done. You are normally wonderwoman. :grouphug:

That is the nicest thing someone has said to in a while!!

Thank you.

Like you I am also having a hard time getting started this year, for many reasons!!!

Perhaps after next week (surgery--which I am so grateful she is getting!!) we can really get going.

This is helping me: I really focus on the little successes and good times.

So we didn't get the whole day in... so we are a week behind in math: we are a week ahead in readers!!!!

That is the nicest thing someone has said to in a while!!

Thank you.

Like you I am also having a hard time getting started this year, for many reasons!!!

Perhaps after next week (surgery--which I am so grateful she is getting!!) we can really get going.

So we didn't get the whole day in... so we are a week behind in math: we are a week ahead in readers!!!!

Awww, :grouphug: Focusing on the positives and making progress is really important to hsing isn't it? Thanks for encouraging me. I need to look around for my gumption and put on my rose colored glasses.

:grouphug:

and

:hurray: Celebrate your successes and let the good times pull you through the rest!

Very impressive. You guys got a ton done. Can you get out this weekend and get in some quick summer time?
Thank you. And I am hoping that we can enjoy a bit more summer! Our community pool is open this holiday weekend and I want to try and make it up a few more times. Otherwise, I am just going to look forward to fall and try to make the best of that time!

After six years of homeschooling - five through the summer - I think I am needing to re-evaluate summer school. I actually, this year, felt sorry for my son that I was making him do school all summer. :001_huh: In reality, we took a two week break in mid-August and he was asking to start back to school. I think he would go crazy if he had a long summer break. And we live in the south, so our summers are just too brutal to be outside much. I need to find some middle ground for next summer.

Ha! We did nothing. I planned to school throughout the summer, well basically, year round, but that did not come to fruition.

I planned to start next week, but yesterday afternoon the kids were driving me, and each other I.N.S.A.N.E. and it's too hot to send them outside for very long so I said "Enough, you need structure, let's go do school!" So that is what we did. :D Art, Latin, and a few math questions, then DH got home early after being gone for 9 days so it all went out the window.

Today, DD asked if we could do school again - so we did. :D Art, History, and a little bit of math again.

I did not have anything planned, but it was a nice pre-cursor to actually starting next week. I've been planning to plan almost all summer long, too and I STILL don't have any lessons really planned. This weekend I will plan for Monday (yes, we're starting on the holiday - because we won't go near the crowds anyway). I have resigned myself to the one day at a time planning for now. Hopefully once we get going I will get sparked to plan for at least a week in advance, then branch out from there. Cooler weather and cloudier skies would sure help with that. I don't *do* sun and heat.