Menu

Lion, Witch and Wardrobe movie : BBC or 2005 version?

We own the bbc version and let our kids watch it while they were young, then when my olderst turned 12, I let him watch the current version. We are using it as a right of passage;) It depends on how your child reacts to special effects. The bbc is very low key with animatronic puppet Aslan, animals. The current one is very visual, especially watching it on our huge tv.

We watched all the big budget ones, and then watched the BBC Silver Chair one. I must admit, DH and I laughed quite a bit at the BBC one. DS still liked it, but it was painful to watch at times. I have no idea what the others are like. If they were anything like that one, and I didn't want to do the 2005 one, I'd try to find the cartoon one from my childhood.

I'm not personally a fan of the BBC videos. I didn't think they were very well- done visually. They do follow the book more closely than the new movie though. If your children are younger, I would recommend the cartoon version from 1979. My kids love that one and most of the dialogue is straight from the book.

As children, my sister and I loved the cartoon version. We found it super funny when the beaver talks about the sons of Adam and the daughters of Eve sitting on the throne at Cair Paravel. He sort of had trouble saying the sound of the letter "S" and it came out as a "SH". We would giggle about that for hours. LOL

I'm not personally a fan of the BBC videos. I didn't think they were very well- done visually. They do follow the book more closely than the new movie though. If your children are younger, I would recommend the cartoon version from 1979. My kids love that one and most of the dialogue is straight from the book.

:iagree::iagree: For young kids I would definitely do the cartoon. It was great! The 2005 is also great, but not true to the book. The BBC version...utterly painful! To put it mildly...they could have done a better job casting for Lucy. To put it bluntly...she totally stinks. Way too old, and way too annoying. Like Judy Garland in Wizard of Oz, but worse.

(If anyone here played the part of Lucy in the BBC version of LWW, my apologies. I'm sure you have matured into a wonderful woman.)

:iagree::iagree: For young kids I would definitely do the cartoon. It was great! The 2005 is also great, but not true to the book. The BBC version...utterly painful! To put it mildly...they could have done a better job casting for Lucy. To put it bluntly...she totally stinks. Way too old, and way too annoying. Like Judy Garland in Wizard of Oz, but worse.

(If anyone here played the part of Lucy in the BBC version of LWW, my apologies. I'm sure you have matured into a wonderful woman.)

:lol: