Menu

Upper elementary/ Middle school anatomy?

Violet Crown

I need anatomy help for Middle Girl. We are alternating TOPS and Nebel, but neither has much (any) anatomy. These are my guidelines for my Ideal Anatomy curriculum or book or whatever. What would you suggest?

1. MG is very science-y and understands the ideas quickly.

2. Ideally it would include anatomical drawing (or be easily adapted to include such) - The Anatomy Coloring Book is too advanced for her right now, though I could see working parts of it in if necessary.

3. I have zero biology background, so I can't put together something myself very easily.

4. I'm a Christian but would really really prefer a secular curriculum. Apologia is both anti-evolution and dull, both of which rule it out for me.

The last unit of CPO lLife Science is on the human body, with a one chapter of human body systems, one on support and movement (bones and muscles), and one on vision and hearing (nervous system, color vision, light and images, hearing).

I would assume that the California version Focus on Life Science would be set up the same way. There is a free online version of that book. I don't have the direct link but it can be found by searching the boards here.

CPO is most definitely secular and not dull :)

The last unit of CPO lLife Science is on the human body, with a one chapter of human body systems, one on support and movement (bones and muscles), and one on vision and hearing (nervous system, color vision, light and images, hearing).

I would assume that the California version Focus on Life Science would be set up the same way. There is a free online version of that book. I don't have the direct link but it can be found by searching the boards here.

CPO is most definitely secular and not dull :)

:iagree:

We added several dissections to the human body section. We also added dissecting owl pellets. We had a great experience trying to match up the bones we found with skeletal drawings of various animals.

We are supplementing CPO, but it has been a good spine for us. (No pun intended!)

And for a fun resource you should check out Zygote Body. (formerly known as Google Body.) It's a free online anatomy tool where you can literally peel back the layers of the human body. You can choose between male and female and zoom in and out. It's pretty fascinating. For some reason, I couldn't get it to open on Chrome but I was able to get it through Firefox.