Menu

Would you rather your child be kind or smart?

would you rather your child be kind or smart?  

1. 1. would you rather your child be kind or smart?

• kind
    • smart
    • can't be kind unless smart first
    • can't be smart unless kind first
    • other

I voted smart. I feel that a smart kid can learn to be kind. I think kindness is a learned behavior. A smart kid could choose to be kind. A kind but dopey kid could never learn to be smart. And not all dopey kids are kind either. Maybe being dopey would make it harder to learn to be kind. I don't know!

I voted smart. I feel that a smart kid can learn to be kind. I think kindness is a learned behavior. A smart kid could choose to be kind. A kind but dopey kid could never learn to be smart. And not all dopey kids are kind either. Maybe being dopey would make it harder to learn to be kind. I don't know!

FINALLY! :hurray:

I'm sorry to get all excited like this, but hey, 20 people voted for smart, but FINALLY someone besides me is willing to admit it!

CUPCAKES FOR EVERYONE!!!

:party:

Well Kindness is an action. Intelligence is a natural trait. You can choose to be kind. You don't get as much choice when it comes to intellectual capability.

As the mom of a child on the autism spectrum, I would say that empathy is something that is a natural trait. Kind behavior may be a choice, but that behavior comes more naturally to certain individuals. My NT children learn manners and acting in an unselfish manner a LOT more easily than my autistic child. My autistic DD can be very sweet and loving at times but she is way more self-centered at any given functional age than my NT kids.

FINALLY! :hurray:

I'm sorry to get all excited like this, but hey, 20 people voted for smart, but FINALLY someone besides me is willing to admit it!

CUPCAKES FOR EVERYONE!!!

:party:

I voted smart.

I can help to cultivate their kindness. There's only so much genuine INTELLIGENCE I can squeeze out of them, no matter what curriculum I choose. ;)

I struggle with this question because it seems like lately I have had several conversations with homeschoolers who say that they homeschool for Biblical and character issues so the academics come secondary. This reasoning makes me a bit twitchy. I think our kids should be trained to be kind and generous and Godly but I also want them well- educated and to me, they should never be mutually exclusive.

I want to understand but I just don't. Why does one have to focus on either/ or? Why not both?

You know, there always has to be atleast one who skews the poll and I guess it's me.;)

I struggle with this question because it seems like lately I have had several conversations with homeschoolers who say that they homeschool for Biblical and character issues so the academics come secondary. This reasoning makes me a bit twitchy. I think our kids should be trained to be kind and generous and Godly but I also want them well- educated and to me, they should never be mutually exclusive.

I want to understand but I just don't. Why does one have to focus on either/ or? Why not both?

You know, there always has to be atleast one who skews the poll and I guess it's me.;)

I already demonstrated my unkindness and skewed it first by saying that it isn't an either/or proposition.

I definitely focus more on the kind. I don't think the smart matters unless you're kind.

Being Mensa-type people, we're around smart people a good bit, but some of them aren't really all that nice. Meanwhile, I know some people who I'd rather spend time with who maybe don't have as much in the conventional intelligence area, but they're so genuinely kind.

Sometimes I wonder if kindness is not so much a character issue, as an element of a person's temperament, which is at least partly inherited. The University of Minnesota twin studies have addressed the issue of inheritable traits, including kindness, but I cannot access any of the articles online without paying for them, which I'm not going to do. Obviously, I don't know much about this since I wonder about it.

I'd like my kids to be smart (have high IQs) and kind. It is possible to be both.

Edited by RoughCollie