Menu

Logic for 3rd

Mom-ninja.

I've been using this book from critical thinking company with my 3rd grader

http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=c&id=04602

He has trouble occasionally getting started with what to do, but I find if I guide his thinking, he gets going and can then do them by himself. They have many many other fun books that I looked at during a conference, I picked a book I knew would challenge him since he tends to fly through so much. Lol.

I second Primarily Logic and others from Prufrock Press. Use your own discretion more than the age suggestions. My 8yo (last year) was flying through Primarily Logic, but he was doing logic puzzles and playing chess at age 5. My 6yo -- no logician -- enjoyed doing Lollipop Logic and found it challenging. If your 8yo is new to logic that might work, too.

You can find the whole line of logic books at prufrock.com, but the prices are sometimes better at Amazon.

--Pamela

I third the Primarily Logic recommendation. You can get .pdfs of most of the Prufrock books now, if you want to keep them (or it) around for your third-grader.

My son is definitely not a genius, but he's been enjoying Primarily Logic in his second- and now third-grade year. We just do it once a week, and some weeks I can't even manage that. :p

Ds8 really likes Primarily Logic and Logic Countdown. I also have Logic Safari for him, but it might be too easy. We haven't tried it yet.

Yes, I was looking at Prufrock Press as I like the Logic Countdown series. I just wasn't sure if the first one would be too difficult.

Lollipop Logic looks like it would be too easy.

I'm trying to decide between Primarily Logic and Logic Safari. :) Those both look good.

My 3rd grader likes Logic Countdown, Critical Thinking Activities Logic, and a few others I got from a Scholastic dollar sale. Last year he did Primarily Logic and enjoyed that too. He loves logic and I keep several books around for him to do for fun when school is over.

Yes, I was looking at Prufrock Press as I like the Logic Countdown series. I just wasn't sure if the first one would be too difficult.

Lollipop Logic looks like it would be too easy.

I'm trying to decide between Primarily Logic and Logic Safari. :) Those both look good.

Logic Safari is only logic problems (deduction). Primarily Logic is more diverse in the problem types and more like the Logic Countdown series. Logic Safari looks much easier to me.

In general, Primarily (and Lollipop) Logic introduce concepts at very basic levels, and the pages within the topic get increasingly complex. I think you could just go on to the next topic if your kiddo is "maxed out" on analogies, for example. You can always come back to those pages sometime in the future when he's older or his logic skills have increased. Or you may find that the increasing complexity builds his logic skills right along with it.

The book Primarily Thinking is also by Prufrock, and you may or may not like it. It's themes are compare/contrast, classification, fact/opinion, cause/effect, patterns, and sequencing. I was a little disappointed by it, because it wasn't exactly what I was looking for -- it seemed a little more like work, not quite as "fun" as the Lollipop/Primarily Logics. But it would be a good introduction if you're looking to work on any of those skills.

If you want to know more about Primarily Thinking let me know. I didn't think that the samples online gave a good idea of the book.

--Pamela