Menu

If You Were A Christian And Now You're Not...

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had figured what 2 mamas and 3 babies was saying was maybe dad died, or not in picture,,,,so NO it was not meat to be provoking.

I didn't call Audry a witch. SHE says she's a witch, so I simply asked about it. I really am clueless to these lifestyles.

It takes a man and woman to make a baby~and so 2mamas obviously had a man at some point~or one of them did. Its just odd and I didn't really think it was 2 women in a relationship. Or they adopted.

This is the FIRST time I've heard of a gay couple homeschooling. You asked me about teaching my kids about current events, etc,,,how will 2 women be ale to teach about God and His creation of 1 man and 1 woman, to reproduce. It wasn't Adam and Steve, it was Adam and Eve (woman).

2 women, one obviously acting as a man, training and teaching children, how weird is that!? Talk about having some confused kids~later adults.

I'm sorry, but that is just WRONG.

Ok, my dh is off work today and took the kids to the zoo, and I've spent WAY too much time on here, so I'm off to better things.

You will all enjoy, as some of you already have, bashing and name calling. it really shows your stupidity and reality that not everyone wo homeschools, should be homeschooling!

Well, I'll agree w/'clueless'...

I think I will vomit.

*passes Nakia the Hive Chuck Bucket (patent pending)*

One of the gay ladies posts, she said her husband but signed 2 mamas and 3 babies. Is THAT not confusing!? That's where I got the idea one is the "man".....

You gals are like flies on ......!

um, go reread. She refered to her partner as her wife. Your assumption is showing.

Flies on.....indeed.

I'm not buying the troll thing. I honestly think she's a very sheltered woman who's not put a lot of effort into informing herself beyond her very small immediate environment.

It's not her actual views that get me. It's the, "OMG! Milk comes from COWS?!?!" attitude.

Hmmm, not sure I agree. My sheltered 13 yr old dd was :blink: when I read the whole Adam and Steve thing. She said people really think that and say that? [and we are conservative christians.] So yeah, I'm goin' with the bored teen playing on mommy's computer. :D

Yes. I didn't put it in my previous deconversion post, but I was raised in an atmosphere of "You have your beliefs, I have mine, and it's all good". Religion and religious beliefs were personal. Dh was raised in a less diverse area of the country than I was, but it was pretty much the same with him.

When I was attempting to integrate myself into a local church, for what I felt to be the sake of my children, because really; around here, if you aren't going to a church, you don't have friends; they spoke in sunday school about how the "live and let live" thing was really kind of us allowing the badness to spread, or something. I couldn't explain it well because I didn't agree with it, and in fact it was one of the things that totally turned me off of going to church. One of the MANY things, at the time. basically, to allow someone to belief something that wasn't "true" was a sin on OUR part, so we had to do everything we could to convince them of their folly, or at least plant the seed.

Marcus Borg states that it seems kind of strange that the only thing that might separate a person from God is the assent to a statement (or statements) that seems impossible. That makes sense to me, but it is still hard to release the old ideas that come with being a part of the crowd. I am having to find alternatives because it feels as though part of my brain is now empty and I have to fill it back up with something.

:)

Well, I am not sure I would say that Christianity teaches that assent to a statement or statements is what separates us from God, be it a weird or non-weird statement. So I don't have much idea how to let something like that go - I've never seen any need to believe something like that.

But maybe what you need to think about is what kind of thing in your view would separate someone from God?

And what is the criteria for something being impossible to believe? I would also want to think about that in terms of paradox and dialectic - sometimes it is statements that seem contradictory or impossible to reconcile that lead to the most important ideas.

Those kinds of avenues might tend to head towards what would be a more robust concept for you.

When I was attempting to integrate myself into a local church, for what I felt to be the sake of my children, because really; around here, if you aren't going to a church, you don't have friends; they spoke in sunday school about how the "live and let live" thing was really kind of us allowing the badness to spread, or something. I couldn't explain it well because I didn't agree with it, and in fact it was one of the things that totally turned me off of going to church. One of the MANY things, at the time. basically, to allow someone to belief something that wasn't "true" was a sin on OUR part, so we had to do everything we could to convince them of their folly, or at least plant the seed.

That's sad, and I do know there are people (and entire parts of the country) who hold that type of belief. I guess I'm just lucky not to have been exposed to them very much.

I'm also fortunate not to have Christian relatives or neighbors who are so closed-minded. I can't say other Christians pushed me away from faith because most of the Christians I know are lovely people.

And I really am being serious here~while I may have internet, ONLY hs sites, ebay or related online games for the pre k kids, are on it. I do NOT follow news and in fact, the news is turned off on my computer. I have used google a few times, mainly recently to look up the books that have recently been mentioned.

I've 9 kids and we farm and have LITTle time in general, for just surfing the web. My kids actually asked us about the hunger games, as some bus kids from hurch mentioned them.

So just bc I don't keep up with the worlds ways, or know all the evil around me, does not mean I an wrong!

The Bible dos warn us to be simple, concerning that which is evil. It is even sadder that hs mamas are filling their hearts and minds on trash, like 50 shades, and are not teaching their children right rom wrong, but more of "total tollerance" is what seems to be promoted here.

I really am shocked still, and most of your tones are indicators of what the real, ugly world is like.

So you have no idea what goes on in the world? You don't know about the martians landing in Minnesota or that they found out the Loch Ness monster is really a troll? Look what you're missing!

OMG, we promote tolerance? What evil, ugly people we are! We should all be flogged.

It is even sadder that hs mamas are filling their hearts and minds on trash...and are not teaching their children right rom wrong, but more of "total tollerance" is what seems to be promoted here.

I think that's a leap. I think that all homeschool mammas teach their kids right from wrong, but they have different ideas of what is right and what is wrong.

It may be surprising to learn that good homeschooling mammas can have a wide variety of beliefs. I think, though, that you'll find that they have generally come to these beliefs thoughtfully, and that you have more in common with them than you may initially think, and that if you *listen*, you may be able to broaden your own views - some views may change, some may become stronger, all will be more informed.

So you have no idea what goes on in the world? You don't know about the martians landing in Minnesota or that they found out the Loch Ness monster is really a troll? Look what you're missing!

OMG, we promote tolerance? What evil, ugly people we are! We should all be flogged.

At least we can spell tolerance, right? :D

And I really am being serious here~while I may have internet, ONLY hs sites, ebay or related online games for the pre k kids, are on it. I do NOT follow news and in fact, the news is turned off on my computer. I have used google a few times, mainly recently to look up the books that have recently been mentioned.

I've 9 kids and we farm and have LITTle time in general, for just surfing the web. My kids actually asked us about the hunger games, as some bus kids from hurch mentioned them.

So just bc I don't keep up with the worlds ways, or know all the evil around me, does not mean I an wrong!

The Bible dos warn us to be simple, concerning that which is evil. It is even sadder that hs mamas are filling their hearts and minds on trash, like 50 shades, and are not teaching their children right rom wrong, but more of "total tollerance" is what seems to be promoted here.

I really am shocked still, and most of your tones are indicators of what the real, ugly world is like.

You are wrong to me. I don't accept your god. You were the one posting in a thread about NOT being a christian.

True story. I also live on a farm. Right in the middle of lots of Amish and Mennonites. I have farm neighbors who are two gay men and live in an Amish home. I can't wait to ask them who's the wife (they'll love it).

You are going to burn in hell with gay goats who act like men.

Do I need to tell my husband that, reproductive organs aside, he's really married to a man, and in a same s*x marriage? Or can I continue to hide manliness?

Anyone have the number for the Jerry Springer Show?

This was exactly my experience. I remember once, when I was maybe 20, having a conversation with my mother (with whom I attended church for many, many years) and she mentioned the rapture. We started talking about it and I was amazed and shocked to learn that she believed in a literal Rapture. She raised me, I sat next to her in church, but somehow that is not the message I got from any sermon. I always assumed the whole thing (the Bible) was metaphorical. Apparently I was the only one who thought that. It was shortly after that that I stopped checking the "Christian" box when asked for my religion. It was clear that what I thought of as "Christianity" was not what most people thought of Christianity. It was a weird feeling. I started asking close, trusted friends "Wait- So, all along, you have been taking everything literally?" I was honestly *totally* gobsmacked. (Not in a "I'm right, you're wrong" or "I'm wrong, you're right" kind of way, but in a "I just found out I'm an alien" kind of way.)

Yes!

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only alien!

Actually, you are quite wrong.

There are many conservative Christians here. I am one of them.

There are many responsible and sober-minded women here of many faiths or no faith who would never read 50 Shades of Gray because it is poorly written and demeaning to women.

"Total tolerance" is practiced here, if I am reading you correctly. Your definition of that seems to mean that we "allow" homosexual persons and wiccans among us as equal friends instead of as stoning victims. Yes, that's right. All respectful persons are welcome here to discuss the topic of the forum, which is classical education.

My son has read the Hunger Games. I encouraged him to read it, because we often use popular works to discuss his lessons in politics, history, logic, philosophy, and religion. Hunger Games belongs in any classically educated teen's library, along with 1984, The Lord of the Flies, and any literary work which shows what happens when various socio-political ideals are carried out to their natural ends. I doubt whether you would locate those historical and political nuances or be able to draw the parallels and explain the contrasts between the actions and thoughts of the characters and traditional Christian doctrine, but I find myself up to that task. In fact, to me that is what classical education is all about.

Madam, I do not believe you. I do not believe you have never heard of homosexuality or pagan religions before. I do not believe you seriously think that all homeschoolers are exactly like yourself. I do not believe your brand of Christianity teaches or endorses the rudeness you have displayed here, because the Founder of any type of Christianity was a friend to tax collectors, prostitutes, and those cast out and rejected by the Pharisees of His day. In fact, that is why He came.

You ought to reflect in humility that you might not be quite ready to interact with diverse peoples on a large, public message board. Get informed. Turn on the news. Read blogs. Read books. Study the age in which you are living, and learn from Christian leaders who are discussing how to engage, interact, and witness to a world that includes people not like themselves. The knowledge is out there. You are doing no good to anyone, including yourself, with the ignorant approach you are taking now.

[shakes head, 'oh why am I doing this?']

The only thing that is promoted here is homeschooling. This is not a Christian home schooling board. Please, if that is all you want to read, there are many and and heck you will fit the parameters for many of them. [i couldn't join one years ago b/c I did not have enough children close in age. :confused:] Anyway, this is a place for moms and dads [and while I wasn't meaning married moms and dads as a couple I will add moms and moms and dads and dads] and kids who are homeschooling and for moms or dads who want to home school. If you are one of those, you fit the bill. Heck we even have former homeschoolers and afterschoolers etc. The point is, it is not a christian only board.

I am a christian. I suppose not good enough for you. It is because of the people I have encountered on this board that I am a stronger one than before. There are many things that people say and do I may not agree with. It is not my job to police their lives. But here's a kicker. I would suspect that I do things that many people do not agree with and it isn't their job to police my life. :D

If you are for real, then put on your big-girl panties for this place and jump in. You will be amazed the the vibrant intelligent conversation that takes place. If you can't handle lives different from you own, then I suggest a christian moms to many homeschool forum. You will be much happier.

Well, I am not sure I would say that Christianity teaches that assent to a statement or statements is what separates us from God, be it a weird or non-weird statement. So I don't have much idea how to let something like that go - I've never seen any need to believe something like that.

But maybe what you need to think about is what kind of thing in your view would separate someone from God?

And what is the criteria for something being impossible to believe? I would also want to think about that in terms of paradox and dialectic - sometimes it is statements that seem contradictory or impossible to reconcile that lead to the most important ideas.

Those kinds of avenues might tend to head towards what would be a more robust concept for you.

That's kind of funny because isn't that what traditional Christianity relies on, assent to statements like:

I believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he was born of a virgin, that he is God from God, that the earth was created in 6 days, that the Bible is the literal word of God, that God is male, etc, etc, etc. For many those are statements that are impossible to believe. But Christianity often tells us if we do not assent to them we have no part of God.

The list of statements that many Christians are required to assent to, is often extremely long and complex, at least in my experience.

In my view, nothing separates someone from God but (maybe) their own desire to be separated. Even then, I don't know if we can be separated from God, because I believe we are part of God. Maybe we just delude ourselves into thinking we are separate? I'm just working through these things myself.

Edited by Onceuponatime

I had figured what 2 mamas and 3 babies was saying was maybe dad died, or not in picture,,,,so NO it was not meat to be provoking.

I didn't call Audry a witch. SHE says she's a witch, so I simply asked about it. I really am clueless to these lifestyles.

It takes a man and woman to make a baby~and so 2mamas obviously had a man at some point~or one of them did. Its just odd and I didn't really think it was 2 women in a relationship. Or they adopted.

This is the FIRST time I've heard of a gay couple homeschooling. You asked me about teaching my kids about current events, etc,,,how will 2 women be ale to teach about God and His creation of 1 man and 1 woman, to reproduce. It wasn't Adam and Steve, it was Adam and Eve (woman).

2 women, one obviously acting as a man, training and teaching children, how weird is that!? Talk about having some confused kids~later adults.

I'm sorry, but that is just WRONG.

Ok, my dh is off work today and took the kids to the zoo, and I've spent WAY too much time on here, so I'm off to better things.

You will all enjoy, as some of you already have, bashing and name calling. it really shows your stupidity and reality that not everyone wo homeschools, should be homeschooling!

This person is so obviously a troll, the best course is to just ignore. The terrible spelling and grammar coupled with hateful comments cloaked in naiveté are the markings of a poster who is purposely inciting aggravation, not conversation and discussion. I really do not believe that this person is who they claim to be, it is a fake account.

I'd like to know how one who doesn't know that gay people can homeschool comes to learn about 50 Shades, lol.

(The only way I know about it is from FB and this board!)

Well . . . . [oh sorry, almost got a little Pentecostal and this probably isn't the thread for it. ] :D

As for the OP:

I do not fit the parameters for this thread and apologize for its derailment. It is a very good question and the answers have helped to inform me.

This person is so obviously a troll, the best course is to just ignore. The terrible spelling and grammar coupled with hateful comments cloaked in naiveté are the markings of a poster who is purposely inciting aggravation, not conversation and discussion. I really do not believe that this person is who they claim to be, it is a fake account.

Right. But he/she sure is funny.

I think it's a little incorrect to say that this board "promotes tolerance." There are plenty of discussions about faith and the One True Path or whatever.

I'd say this board promotes "respectful discussion." There are loads of people here, posting regularly, who think other posters are bound for hell, or are apostates (some of whom might embrace that title, others are offended by it), think they're members of a cult, that they believe in false idols, the whole thing. To be fair, there are posters who think others are delusional, or poorly educated, or believers in fairy tales. It goes both ways :001_smile:

THAT SAID, there is generally an expectation of respectful discussion, especially in threads that are meant to be open to everyone's input. There is also an expectation of commenting in an "I" statement ("I believe that fairies are real.") versus attacking "you" statements ("People who don't believe in fairies are going to freeze in a ocean of bubble gum otterpops for all eternity"). I don't think that means I'm tolerating non-believers, exactly. But the "I" statement isn't inflammatory and helps continue the discussion. Similarly, questions are expected to be asked in mostly objective language (and I'll admit, I don't always use this). "Can you tell me more about your fairy beliefs?" is better than "Are you insane? Little flying people? Tinkerbell? How can you seriously believe they're real??"

Drexel,

Thank you for your original post. Maybe we can try again later on. I would love to discuss the reasons behind leaving my faith, but it would be lost here. This thread was over when green mama posted. :(

I don't think even Jerry Springer wants this one.

I thought taking Wolf onto a tv show would be the perfect setting for confessing that apparently, despite reproductive organs, I'm a man, and he's in a same s*x marriage. I mean, that's how to deliver news like that, right?

*hitches up pants*

I thought taking Wolf onto a tv show would be the perfect setting for confessing that apparently, despite reproductive organs, I'm a man, and he's in a same s*x marriage. I mean, that's how to deliver news like that, right?

*hitches up pants*

Yes, I think that is the protocol for that particular conversation. ***checks the handbook***