Menu

If You Were A Christian And Now You're Not...

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be PMS'ing because I am ready to cry in frustration that a troll has caused such a good discussion to degenerate into silliness.

Is there any hope of returning to serious discussion?

I can say that for myself, admitting that I was no longer a believer was not easy and not fun. It was a real loss and called into question a lot of things in my life. It helped to hear from others who were on a similar path.

I'm going through this as well. I'm not even ready to say I am no longer a christian yet, but, if I'm really honest with myself, I'm not. It's hard for me to explain my beliefs, as I'm not an atheist, and agnostic doesn't feel right either. I'd actually love to raise my children with a religion and belief system, just not the exclusive one I grew up in.

I don't want to say too much on a public board about it, but I understand. :grouphug:

Well, I'm sad to see this thread, which was really interesting go off on such a tangent, but since it has, I'll play along.

Who is ready for kilts, goats and cupcakes?

Except for the troll, because we are not supposed to be feeding trolls. No cupcakes for trolls.

That's right! No cupcakes for you, trolls.

Riding a goat and eating a cupcake sounds like so much fun ! :D

Yes, but not riding a cupcake and eating a goat. That just sounds messy. :D

I so want to tag this thread with a, "honk if you love gays!"

**SNORT** That made me LOL.

Can there really be such naive people in this world? It just doesn't seem possible.

Merging two ideas...

I was brought up going to church every Sunday and even taught Sunday School. It NEVER occurred to me that people, even the people in my church, actually believed the bible to be fact. I always assumed it to be understood as a metaphor or fable, or whatever other more appropriate literary term for words that guide people to live well.

Also, I had no clue about the stereotype of homeschoolers being Christian until I was already pretty deep into it.

Until my late teens, I checked the Chritian box on paper. I did not know the definition to be what I see it is now.

What do you to teach your children about current events and a culture greater than their own small world?

As an educator, aren't you concerned that your children will know nothing of politics, society, or current events if you don't stay informed?

This is a great question.

Again, I could see the OP's comment on another homeschooling board but this one, where classical learning, critical thinking and wider education are supposed to have some importance?

One topic I'd like is why do some people get so wigged out over what other people believe in terms of religion. I guess I've always seen it as a personal thing.

:iagree: Exactly! I just can't seeing getting that bent out of shape about someone else's choice of religion. Or curriculum choices or favorite baked goods or just about anything for that matter. As my mother used to say to me "wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all exactly the same". :grouphug: :001_smile:

One topic I'd like is why do some people get so wigged out over what other people believe in terms of religion.

Because it is a zero sum game. For ME to be right, YOU have to be wrong.

For people who believe in a literal hell where you will burn for eternity if you get it wrong, those are huge stakes.

I vote go back to topic. There are some great discussions going on! It doesn't have to slide deeper into kiltville. :lol:

I was really ejoying the topic also. I didn't realize there were so many here that held my same christian non belief as I share it with so few in real life.

In a nutshell I do believe in a higher power/creator, but I don't think any one religion or denomanation holds to answer.

I believe all belief originated from the same folk lore/tales that were passed down from generation to generation. So many of the stories/morals are the same it just makes sense to me.

So basically one god/creator/higher power, many paths.

Thanks!

I'm really not trying to come across as unkind or judgemetal. I am of the conservative movement and have been a christian for 15 years~and I guess living with no tv, and not following the news really, its just sooo hard to believe there is such differences and acceptance of things, like the 50 shades of grey book, the Hunger Games, etc,,,I just didn't realize these things we soo much a part of society and amoung the homeschoolers.

This thread though has been interesting to say the least.

But there are conservatives here and a lot of Christians who are better informed. That's really neither here nor there on the subject.

And you obviously have the internet...;)

Homeschooling has been part of the wider culture since it's very beginnings. I really, really think you should do some research and reading beyond your conservative and Christian circles. Once you recognize you're naive about matters it's not a virtue to hang on to it - then it's simply willful ignorance.

Anyway, I tend not to think you're a troll, just someone getting a wake-up call. Welcome to the wider world. :D

Someone, please remove the shovel from the poor woman's hands...*sigh*

Yes, you may believe it's wrong. You aren't the only one on this board who believes that. But this is neither the time nor place for such a discussion. You should have just stopped at, "this is the first time I've heard of a gay couple homeschooling". The rest was unnecessary and inflammatory. Start another thread or do it on another board. You CAN be respectful of other people without constantly inputting what you believe is wrong or right. Otherwise, please reread the definition of "troll".

Edited by mommaduck

I had figured what 2 mamas and 3 babies was saying was maybe dad died, or not in picture,,,,so NO it was not meat to be provoking.

I didn't call Audry a witch. SHE says she's a witch, so I simply asked about it. I really am clueless to these lifestyles.

It takes a man and woman to make a baby~and so 2mamas obviously had a man at some point~or one of them did. Its just odd and I didn't really think it was 2 women in a relationship. Or they adopted.

This is the FIRST time I've heard of a gay couple homeschooling. You asked me about teaching my kids about current events, etc,,,how will 2 women be ale to teach about God and His creation of 1 man and 1 woman, to reproduce. It wasn't Adam and Steve, it was Adam and Eve (woman).

2 women, one obviously acting as a man, training and teaching children, how weird is that!? Talk about having some confused kids~later adults.

I'm sorry, but that is just WRONG.

Ok, my dh is off work today and took the kids to the zoo, and I've spent WAY too much time on here, so I'm off to better things.

You will all enjoy, as some of you already have, bashing and name calling. it really shows your stupidity and reality that not everyone wo homeschools, should be homeschooling!

Bolded: WHAT? One acting as a man? Please tell me you're not serious. Also, there are plenty of gay and lesbians who believe in God, read the Bible and go to church (why, yes, there are churches who accept them). Why would it not be possible for them to teach about God? Hopefully they'll be able to teach about a compassionate and non-judgmental God.

Oh, carp, I just tossed a cupcake didn't I?

What I can't understand is women on this board opening themselves up for the abuse they knew they were going to get when they posted.

An incredible sacrifice I suppose, throwing oneself under the bus to be honest and speak what they believe.

I understand not believing.

What I don't understand is fully believing and walking away because HUMANS disappointed you? If Christ was RIGHT in your mind, how could you let the mistakes made by very fallible Christian believers sway you from what you believed was right? Either you never believed or you took your eyes off Christ and put your expectations in people, no? :(

People will always let you down. They are fallible. They get confused, they get lost, they choose wrong.

I'm not a Christian follower. I am a Christ follower. If I look all around I can find 1,000,000 people to let me down. Myself included in that tally. Thank God my faith doesn't depend on the actions of humans. I would be so heartbroken and disappointed.

The reason that the actions of so-called Christians matters is stated in the Bible itself. Matthew 7:20 -- "By their fruits ye shall know them." If you read the whole chapter, it is all about recognizing who is of God and who is not. Now I personally believe that if you can judge an individual by his actions, then you can judge a whole religion by it's actions. What many people are saying when they say that Christians turned them off of Christianity is that they judged the fruit of Christianity to be lacking. If the product of a religion is overwhelmed by hate and fear and self-righteousness and divisiveness, is it a good thing? Deciding that it is not was a part of my journey as well.

I had figured what 2 mamas and 3 babies was saying was maybe dad died, or not in picture,,,,so NO it was not meat to be provoking.

I didn't call Audry a witch. SHE says she's a witch, so I simply asked about it. I really am clueless to these lifestyles.

It takes a man and woman to make a baby~and so 2mamas obviously had a man at some point~or one of them did. Its just odd and I didn't really think it was 2 women in a relationship. Or they adopted.

This is the FIRST time I've heard of a gay couple homeschooling. You asked me about teaching my kids about current events, etc,,,how will 2 women be ale to teach about God and His creation of 1 man and 1 woman, to reproduce. It wasn't Adam and Steve, it was Adam and Eve (woman).

2 women, one obviously acting as a man, training and teaching children, how weird is that!? Talk about having some confused kids~later adults.

Ok, my dh is off work today and took the kids to the zoo, and I've spent WAY too much time on here, so I'm off to better things.

You will all enjoy, as some of you already have, bashing and name calling. it really shows your stupidity and reality that not everyone wo homeschools, should be homeschooling!

I think I will vomit.

I'd suggest doing a little research while hubby has the kids at the zoo. You can clear your cookies later, but seriously no one is acting like or trying to be a man in a lesbian relationships.

Why do you assume they would want to teach their children about God? They might be turned off by the teachings that condemn their "lifestyle choice" (which really is their biology). Or they might consider God good and kind and not as judgmental as you imagine your God.

Why do you assume that they will not teach their children about the biological role of the father for procreation?

Why would any of them "act as a man"? They probably each just act as gay women.

I have not seen any kids raised by gay parents to become confused.

The only confused person here seems to be you.

Someone, please remove the shovel from the poor woman's hands...*sigh*

Yes, you may believe it's wrong. You aren't the only one on this board who believes that. But this is neither the time nor place for such a discussion. You should have just stopped at, "this is the first time I've heard of a gay couple homeschooling". The rest was unnecessary and inflammatory. Start another thread or do it on another board. You CAN be respectful of other people without constantly inputting what you believe is wrong or right. Otherwise, please reread the definition of "troll".

She uses too many cliches not to be a troll. I shouldn't play along, but I'm pmsing & there will be a blue moon over my Kentucky holler tonight.

The reason that the actions of so-called Christians matters is stated in the Bible itself. Matthew 7:20 -- "By their fruits ye shall know them." If you read the whole chapter, it is all about recognizing who is of God and who is not. Now I personally believe that if you can judge an individual by his actions, then you can judge a whole religion by it's actions. What many people are saying when they say that Christians turned them off of Christianity is that they judged the fruit of Christianity to be lacking. If the product of a religion is overwhelmed by hate and fear and self-righteousness and divisiveness, is it a good thing? Deciding that it is not was a part of my journey as well.

Thank you for this!

She uses too many cliches not to be a troll. I shouldn't play along, but I'm pmsing & there will be a blue moon over my Kentucky holler tonight.

:grouphug:

I figured asking someone to remove the shovel from her hands was better than suggesting we all go Pretty Little Liars on her LOL!

Search for Wicca on google. It will tell you more about Audrey and her beliefs. It's very much not the pointy hats and brooms you may have in mind.

There's also artificial insemination.

I think you're still assuming people believe fundamentally as you do. That gay couple may not be Christian. Or they may be Christian and yet not believe there was a real, literal Adam and Eve. Many, if not most, Christians belong to denominations that do not demand a literal view of creation and the Bible.

Got to religioustolerance.org for a good view of Christianity beyond what you've been exposed to.

It happens quite often. It's not that weird anymore in many, many places.

I'd point out the irony in your post but I really don't think you'd get it.

I think you've exhausted my patience though. Bye.

One topic I'd like is why do some people get so wigged out over what other people believe in terms of religion. I guess I've always seen it as a personal thing.

Yes. I didn't put it in my previous deconversion post, but I was raised in an atmosphere of "You have your beliefs, I have mine, and it's all good". Religion and religious beliefs were personal. Dh was raised in a less diverse area of the country than I was, but it was pretty much the same with him.

Wow. And this is why I end up so turned off of Christianity. So many assumptions. No actual caring enough to learn about what they are talking about. No feeling for the way other people think and live. Just, wow.

Wow. And this is why I end up so turned off of Christianity. So many assumptions. No actual caring enough to learn about what they are talking about. No feeling for the way other people think and live. Just, wow.

:grouphug: I'm sorry...I think it upset many of us that are Christians on here also, because it does not represent how we believe we should communicate with one another.

I'm not buying the troll thing. I honestly think she's a very sheltered woman who's not put a lot of effort into informing herself beyond her very small immediate environment.

It's not her actual views that get me. It's the, "OMG! Milk comes from COWS?!?!" attitude.

Back on topic, I also find that finding my morals and ethics within myself to be very empowering. I have seen (not on this thread, just in the past) confusion from some Christian posters who do not understand how someone could have morals without an outside source laying out what they should be. I have to admit, I just find that way of thinking hard to comprehend. Just another reason why religion, any religion, isn't a good match for me. I don't want to look for an outside source to dictate who I should be as a person.

This is something that I am wrestling with right now. It is sooo engrained in traditional Christianity, pretty much brainwashed into people, that anyone outside of Christianity doesn't really know how or why to do what is right. Or, if they seem to be good, they could be better if they were a Christian. It is very hard to pull away from that kind of thinking and create alternative messages when it has been fed to you since you were a small child.

Marcus Borg states that it seems kind of strange that the only thing that might separate a person from God is the assent to a statement (or statements) that seems impossible. That makes sense to me, but it is still hard to release the old ideas that come with being a part of the crowd. I am having to find alternatives because it feels as though part of my brain is now empty and I have to fill it back up with something.

Thanks for going back to the topic. :)

I'm not buying the troll thing. I honestly think she's a very sheltered woman who's not put a lot of effort into informing herself beyond her very small immediate environment.

It's not her actual views that get me. It's the, "OMG! Milk comes from COWS?!?!" attitude.

I dunno. 10 years ago, sure, but now? With internet access?

One of the gay ladies posts, she said her husband but signed 2 mamas and 3 babies. Is THAT not confusing!? That's where I got the idea one is the "man".....

You gals are like flies on ......!

Which would make you the .....?

One of the gay ladies posts, she said her husband but signed 2 mamas and 3 babies. Is THAT not confusing!? That's where I got the idea one is the "man".....

You gals are like flies on ......!

I thought you were going back to the zoo :confused::confused: