Menu

If You Were A Christian And Now You're Not...

I am still a follower of Christ, but have pretty much left the "Christianity" that I once knew. Let's just say that much of it didn't sit right with me. Too many conclusions that the organized church made didn't make sense.

Some years ago, I began wondering, What if we have it all wrong? What if Christians have it wrong? It has certainly happened in the past that Christians had some major themes completely wrong, and had to totally rethink them.

I have been researching Christian Universalism lately, and at least right now, it seems to make more sense to me. My faith is still a work in progress.

(This is a site that tells more about it, if any of you are interested: http://godslovewins.com/index.htm )

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's overreaching. The poster just stated surprise, asked for clarification, then made some boring comment about having different views. Views on what? We don't know for sure. We can guess but until she reveals what they are, it's rather hard to discuss them and stranger to insult her.

She's been in other controversial threads and around long enough to already know the diversity of the board. ;)

This happened to my husband. After 50 years of being raised in, schooled via, married into, only associated and worked with his sect, he was exposed to the rest of the world. Mainly history and science. He now says he wishes the story of the world he was taught when he was young was true, but he thinks it probably isn't. The lynchpin in the system is that he no longer accepts an all-powerful and loving deity would allow such suffering, nor eternal punishment.

After being together 12 years, I finally asked him about his religious beliefs this weekend. I'd suspected all this, but never asked him. He was raised Adventist.

Wolf was raised Adventist too! And won't have anything to do w/it again in this lifetime. He says he's Christian, but attending church? Not after the foul taste SDA left in his mouth. (to be fair, I don't know how much was SDA, and how much was SDA-interpreted-by-MIL-to-be-even-more-restrictive situation.)

I can see you are new here.

Yes, Audrey is a witch. What more is there to understand?

2 mamas and 3 babies... Means two women in a relationship raising 3 children. exactly what it says. No trickery or Tom-foolery. I promise. :tongue_smilie:

We have all kinds here. We are one big family that argues a lot but also loves a lot. If you are looking for homogenous, you are in the wrong place.

:iagree:

I was raised Christian but it never "stuck." I remember trying hard as a kid to get it and reading my children's bible. I gave up by high school.

And the more I learned about other mythologies, the more I realized that this Christianity is its own mythology. Many see it as truth, which is totally their choice. But I see it as stories.

I do believe there is something else out there but I would never dare to assume what it is. I am just a mere human.

That's overreaching. The poster just stated surprise, asked for clarification, then made some boring comment about having different views. Views on what? We don't know for sure. We can guess but until she reveals what they are, it's rather hard to discuss them and stranger to insult her.

A person using the internet who is wide eyed and blinking at 2 mommies and 3 kids doesn't compute. It's as if she never heard of a gay couple with kids before. It's 2012. Seriously?

She's been in other controversial threads and around long enough to already know the diversity of the board. ;)

:lol: Another poster informed me that I haven't been reading enough of all the hot threads. I don't do *crazy*.

If you are going to lambast because of previous knowledge, please add the context!

:lol: Another poster informed me that I haven't been reading enough of all the hot threads. I don't do *crazy*.

If you are going to lambast because of previous knowledge, please add the context!

Well, isn't there a rule about saying things like, "don't feed the trolls," etc?

I don't know if you were referrng to me or not, but I certainly was not trying to cause problems. I've beenon this board sinse April, I think, and dnt have any posts and am not even on this site that often. When I saw the title of the thread, I assumed it was about falling from grace, or having faih then loosing it~more of a "do you believe in eternal securit" type ?. When I started reading all these posts, from HOMEschool mamas, I was simple shocked. I guess I live a pretty sheltered life, as I didn't realize there ARE witches??? How can someone be a witch? That is confusing to me. Also, I didn't realize there are people, who do not live as husband and wife, (MAN and WOman) who homeschool. That surprises me as well.

I guess I just thought hs was something christiand did, and didn't realize the culture is this. Insane! Yes, insane.

Christians do not own homeschooling. Just like there are a variety of people in the world there are a variety of homeschoolers.

Exactly what is insane? Loving couples with children? Religions other than Christianity? People who do not follow religion? Please explain.

I don't know if you were referrng to me or not, but I certainly was not trying to cause problems. I've beenon this board sinse April, I think, and dnt have any posts and am not even on this site that often. When I saw the title of the thread, I assumed it was about falling from grace, or having faih then loosing it~more of a "do you believe in eternal securit" type ?. When I started reading all these posts, from HOMEschool mamas, I was simple shocked. I guess I live a pretty sheltered life, as I didn't realize there ARE witches??? How can someone be a witch? That is confusing to me. Also, I didn't realize there are people, who do not live as husband and wife, (MAN and WOman) who homeschool. That surprises me as well.

I guess I just thought hs was something christiand did, and didn't realize the culture is this. Insane! Yes, insane.

Well you also don't like fat women with tattoos....

A person using the internet who is wide eyed and blinking at 2 mommies and 3 kids doesn't compute. It's as if she never heard of a gay couple with kids before. It's 2012. Seriously?

Believe it or not, I can believe it, generally speaking. I've seen all kinds of people on the boards with odd backstories. Haven't you?

Believe it or not, I can believe it, generally speaking. I've seen all kinds of people on the boards with odd backstories. Haven't you?

I guess it's possible but I do have a hard time believing it. You would have to be working your bottom off, covered in sweat, to use the internet (especially being on forums) and only remain in your safe little bubble of "reality."

Uh...Really?

Let me get this straight...Hsing is the sole dominion of heterosexual Christians?

*laughs hysterically and uncontrollably*

Uh, no.

A person who is Wiccan is commonly referred to as a witch. (psst, 'Wiccan' is a religion, not a gender or nationality).

The 'culture' of hsing is inclusion...at least on THIS board.

Okay, I'll bite:

Yes, you do have posts and pretty darn controversial ones ;)

Yes, I do understand being pretty insulated; I was at one time also. So here it goes...there are MANY different types of people with different views on this board. We argue, but we try not to personally attack or offend one another (we try). Being "shocked" that someone of a particular situation exists, and exists on a HOMESCHOOL board, can be a bit offensive to that person.

Homeschoolers are not all Christians (in fact, Christians got on the bandwagon late). People homeschool for different reasons. Many here homeschool for educational reasons first, other reasons (including religious) second. Where some homeschoolers homeschool because they are Christian and don't want their children exposed to certain non-Christian ideals, there are also Atheist/Pagan/Muslim/Agnostic/Jewish/etc homeschoolers that homeschool because they don't want to expose their children to Christian ideals being pushed in their public schools (in certain areas of this country).

As to witches: what do YOU think a witch is? Is there only one definition of witch to you?

I guess it's possible but I do have a hard time believing it. You would have to be working your bottom off, covered in sweat, to use the internet (especially being on forums) and only remain in your safe little bubble of "reality."

I don't live in bubble (foreign service brat) but I will share that until I got on these boards, I never knew people breastfeed their kids until 4 or 5 or that people were witches. True story.

ETA: Now that I come to think about, I never knew that much about evangelicals either.

Goats? When did we add goats? (I go on vacation for three weeks, and totally lose touch with the boards. :glare:)

Audrey was giving away goats in the pagan starter kit. And anyone who is not a Ken Ham groupie is eligible.

I don't live in bubble (foreign service brat) but I will share that until I got on these boards, I never knew people breastfeed their kids until 4 or 5 or that people were witches. True story.

I was mainly thinking of gay couples with kids. The fact that she was just soooo amazed.

But, true, we should all be learning something new every day!

Be careful, you might appear to be a kilt wearing, cupcake eating, witch who sacrifices goats.

Oh no. I am Catholic. Much worse in certain circles.

But I am pro-cupcake. And pro-goat. And pro-kilt. So really, it is all good but the sacrificing. When my goat comes, he gets to live safely in the backyard.

... and she is apparently a huge fan of the Pearls. Methinks someone is trying to get this thread locked, lest discussions like this "pollute" a board that apparently some people think should be exclusively Christian. Or maybe she's just trolling for fun.

Jackie

I am still a follower of Christ, but have pretty much left the "Christianity" that I once knew. Let's just say that much of it didn't sit right with me. Too many conclusions that the organized church made didn't make sense.

Some years ago, I began wondering, What if we have it all wrong? What if Christians have it wrong? It has certainly happened in the past that Christians had some major themes completely wrong, and had to totally rethink them.

:iagree:

You expressed what I feel much better than I expressed my own feelings. But I wonder at my own temerity sometimes -- I think I must be unbelievably arrogant to second guess something that's been around as long as the church. And yet what it's become today just doesn't ring true for me.

How about fat women with tattoos and no husband.

Plus we all know that *I* am the only one that actually owns homeschooling. It is a rule, all those that want to homeschool have to apply for a license from me. I grant them to anyone that can type a post without appearing to be an adolescent in serious need of typing and/or spelling lessons. They can me homosexual, heterosexual, christian, wiccan or anythiing except for stupid. I refuse to grant homeschool licenses to stupid people. I do however hand out signs.

So here's your sign *I'm Stupid* to anyone that thinks today is a good day to poke the hive.

For everyone else I have issued *troll-be-gone* spray. Apply liberally where ever you see a troll outbreak cropping up.

... and she is apparently a huge fan of the Pearls. Methinks someone is trying to get this thread locked, lest discussions like this "pollute" a board that apparently some people think should be exclusively Christian. Or maybe she's just trolling for fun.

Jackie

I think it's funny. But, when things get heavy, I laugh. I am just not serious enough to be so deep :lol:

Ok, it is one in the morning here, I have insomnia, and I probably have no business posting at this moment because I am not playing very nicely.

BE NICE LADIES... For all we know she was frozen back in 1952 and just thawed out and truely is shocked at all these shenanigans!

There I go again...

Where's the Unisom?

I was just thinking the same thing about myself. My pain levels are ramping up today, today I am becoming more growly by the minute.

But I am pro-cupcake. And pro-goat. And pro-kilt. So really, it is all good but the sacrificing. When my goat comes, he gets to live safely in the backyard.

And we're Orthodox...you know, Gandalf the White and all that ;)

I don't know if you were referrng to me or not, but I certainly was not trying to cause problems. I've beenon this board sinse April, I think, and dont have myny posts and am not even on this site that often. When I saw the title of the thread, I assumed it was about falling from grace, or having faih then loosing it~more of a "do you believe in eternal securit" type ?. When I started reading all these posts, from HOMEschool mamas, I was simple shocked. I guess I live a pretty sheltered life, as I didn't realize there ARE witches??? How can someone be a witch? That is confusing to me. Also, I didn't realize there are people, who do not live as husband and wife, (MAN and WOman) who homeschool. That surprises me as well.

I guess I just thought hs was something christians did, and didn't realize the culture is this messed up in their thinking. It is insane.

Yes we as christians are to be loving and love people, but we are NOT to be tolerant of SIN! We love the gays but do not accept their lifestyle, and so on.

Jesus told the woman at the well, who HE DID forgive, to go and SIN NO MORE.

That's all. My views are complete opposite of most of yours, and I'm not here to debate. I won't be chaging my mind, as you likely won't either. I think its great to be able to share OUR own views, I was just completely taken back by all this!

:svengo::lol::svengo:

Where is that troll smilie?

How about fat women with tattoos and no husband.

Plus we all know that *I* am the only one that actually owns homeschooling. It is a rule, all those that want to homeschool have to apply for a license from me. I grant them to anyone that can type a post without appearing to be an adolescent in serious need of typing and/or spelling lessons. They can me homosexual, heterosexual, christian, wiccan or anythiing except for stupid. I refuse to grant homeschool licenses to stupid people. I do however hand out signs.

So here's your sign *I'm Stupid* to anyone that thinks today is a good day to poke the hive.

For everyone else I have issued *troll-be-gone* spray. Apply liberally where ever you see a troll outbreak cropping up.

:lol:

When I started reading all these posts, from HOMEschool mamas, I was simple shocked. I guess I live a pretty sheltered life, as I didn't realize there ARE witches??? How can someone be a witch? That is confusing to me. Also, I didn't realize there are people, who do not live as husband and wife, (MAN and WOman) who homeschool. That surprises me as well.

!

Why should conservative Christians have the monopoly on homeschooling?:confused:

Why does homeschooling require a spouse of the opposite gender (or a spouse at all)? Last I checked, the only requirement was having a kid to educate.

Hold on to your panties, Elsie, another witch is posting in this thread. ;) I suggest you do some research, or even a simple search here on the board, to learn exactly what that means. I don't have the time or desire to go into it now.

OP: To answer your question-- it was the Bible. I was a regular church-goer as a child (protestant), went to Catholic school etc. I considered myself Christian. Then, as a young adult, I wanted to learn more about my faith so I did something I hadn't before-- I read the Bible, cover to cover. I was shocked, and felt like what the pastors and priests had served up to me all those years was "Christianity-lite" and a false representation of the god described in the Bible. The kind, loving "God" I'd been familiar with all my life did not exist in that book. Sure there were parts that were inspiring, but many more that I just couldn't reconcile. I had to decide: either it is all real, and I have to live my life according this book, or it's all false. It didn't feel right to pick and choose what I liked about it and scrap the rest. So ultimately I couldn't believe in a god like the one described in the Bible, and I left Christianity. Unlike Audrey though, I do still believe in a "higher power" of sorts; one that jibes with my sense of what life is all about.

I have no beef with Christians in general. Living where I do I don't encounter a lot of evangelical or fundamentalist types. Most of the intolerance I've come across has been on this board (not personally). :)

Is your backyard El Chubacabra proof?

I'm a "reluctant atheist." I was raised a Christian and now I'm not. Nothing horrible happened to me, I just grew out of it. If dh wanted, I would go back to church in a heartbeat. I always had friends there and enjoyed singing in the choir. However, it wouldn't be genuine. I haven't believed in anything since I was a child. I actually wish I did believe in something. I used to pray for belief, which was weird since I didn't believe. So then I would pray for authenticity. :001_huh: Yeah, it's a little confusing.

As far as homeschooling goes, I am not at all opposed to using religious material in our school (with the exception of Science. I can't really bend on that one.)

Overall, I try not to get involved in religious arguments because I think religion is an important part of culture and family. It would make no sense to want everyone to think like me. I love the diversity of this world (and this board) and I would be unimaginably bored if everyone held the same beliefs (or non-beliefs) as everyone else.