Menu

If You Were A Christian And Now You're Not...

How about fat women with tattoos and no husband.

Plus we all know that *I* am the only one that actually owns homeschooling. It is a rule, all those that want to homeschool have to apply for a license from me. I grant them to anyone that can type a post without appearing to be an adolescent in serious need of typing and/or spelling lessons. They can me homosexual, heterosexual, christian, wiccan or anythiing except for stupid. I refuse to grant homeschool licenses to stupid people. I do however hand out signs.

So here's your sign *I'm Stupid* to anyone that thinks today is a good day to poke the hive.

For everyone else I have issued *troll-be-gone* spray. Apply liberally where ever you see a troll outbreak cropping up.

I just thought of that country song :lol::lol::lol: "here's your sign."

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you were referrng to me or not, but I certainly was not trying to cause problems. I've beenon this board sinse April, I think, and dont have myny posts and am not even on this site that often. When I saw the title of the thread, I assumed it was about falling from grace, or having faih then loosing it~more of a "do you believe in eternal securit" type ?. When I started reading all these posts, from HOMEschool mamas, I was simple shocked. I guess I live a pretty sheltered life, as I didn't realize there ARE witches??? How can someone be a witch? That is confusing to me. Also, I didn't realize there are people, who do not live as husband and wife, (MAN and WOman) who homeschool. That surprises me as well.

I guess I just thought hs was something christians did, and didn't realize the culture is this messed up in their thinking. It is insane.

Yes we as christians are to be loving and love people, but we are NOT to be tolerant of SIN! We love the gays but do not accept their lifestyle, and so on.

Jesus told the woman at the well, who HE DID forgive, to go and SIN NO MORE.

That's all. My views are complete opposite of most of yours, and I'm not here to debate. I won't be chaging my mind, as you likely won't either. I think its great to be able to share OUR own views, I was just completely taken back by all this!

Actually, quite a few posters likely share your views here but thry tend to be rather more diplomatic, choosing not to throw around terms like, "insane" and "messed up".

I tend to think they don't share you're rather extreme naivity, something that is most definitely not a virtue and puzzling on a board where Classical homeschooling is a major focus.

That's overreaching. The poster just stated surprise, asked for clarification, then made some boring comment about having different views. Views on what? We don't know for sure. We can guess but until she reveals what they are, it's rather hard to discuss them and stranger to insult her.

It was not my intent to insult her. However, I did feel that her underlying tone was insulting to others and that she was going to use Christianity as her cloak. As a Christian, that is highly offensive to me.

To each his/her own. :)

ETA - Now seeing her later post, I truly don't feel that I overreacted at all. Jumped the gun, perhaps. Maybe I'm just psychic. But that may REALLY confuse the whole situation. :lol:

Actually, quite a few posters likely share your views here but thry tend to be rather more diplomatic, choosing not to throw around terms like, "insane" and "messed up".

I tend to think they don't share you're rather extreme naivity, something that is most definitely not a virtue and puzzling on a board where Classical homeschooling is a major focus.

:iagree:

It was not my intent to insult her. However, I did feel that her underlying tone was insulting to others and that she was going to use Christianity as her cloak. As a Christian, that is highly offensive to me.

To each his/her own. :)

ETA - Now seeing her later post, I truly don't feel that I overreacted at all. Jumped the gun, perhaps. Maybe I'm just psychic. But that may REALLY confuse the whole situation. :lol:

I was just pointing out how we should let people reveal themselves first and she promptly obliged. :)

I didn't leave the church because of christians, although I haven't met many who resemble Jesus. I left the church because I think it's a myth/fairy tale like so many others over the centuries. I left because of scientific facts.

The 'culture' of hsing is inclusion...at least on THIS board.

I don't live in bubble (foreign service brat) but I will share that until I got on these boards, I never knew people breastfeed their kids until 4 or 5 or that people were witches. True story.

ETA: Now that I come to think about, I never knew that much about evangelicals either.

Before I came to the Hive, I'd never heard of the Pearls or Ezzos.

I was happier in my ignorance.

I have no beef with Christians in general. Living where I do I don't encounter a lot of evangelical or fundamentalist types. Most of the intolerance I've come across has been on this board (not personally). :)

I wouldn't say I've lived an insulated life at all but there are a few things (mostly strictly evangelical, fundamentalist points of view) that I was completely unaware of until I started homeschooling and found this board.

I did know people were witches (one of my best friends is), I did know about extending breastfeeding.

Some I definitely could have happily lived without ever knowing.

I guess I just thought hs was something christians did, and didn't realize the culture is this messed up in their thinking. It is insane.

Yes we as christians are to be loving and love people, but we are NOT to be tolerant of SIN! We love the gays but do not accept their lifestyle, and so on.

A perfect example... in case and anybody still wonders why some of us left Christianity because of (some) Christians

This is certainly a shock to see sooo many mamas, who hs thir chilren, have such different views.

You find diversity shocking? I think it's what makes westernized countries vibrant.

So probably the poster is thinking Audry thinks she can become invisible and everyone else is going along with it, either to humour her or because we are nuts too.

:lol::lol::lol:

We love the gays

Who are "the gays"? Can we spot them by their rainbow colored outfits, or are they stealthily going about their business, raising children, shopping for groceries, etc.? How sneaky of them to be so normal.

Well you also don't like fat women with tattoos....

Oh, is she *that* poster?

If it's not too late to post on topic -

I left Christianity when I started reading the bible. I was raised Catholic - old school 1960's Catholic. The kind that is socially liberal and usually voted for Democrats. We were nominal Catholics so when I met dh and he said his ex was Catholic, I had no problem converting to Methodist. He was raised in a loosely religious home also.

As a Catholic, there wasn't much (any really) bible reading going on. I think it's different now, but that's not how it was when I was growing up. So, when I joined the Methodist church I also joined a bible study. I also started reading it every day at home. The more I read, the more I scratched my head. Even though Methodists aren't bible literalists, I still couldn't wrap my mind around the stories even as metaphors. I started looking into other religions, but I think by then the scientific part of my brain took over. I just couldn't believe in a supernatural being, Christian or any other.

Unlike some people, I didn't struggle or feel sad when I let go of belief. It was just kind of a shrug and realization that there's nothing "out there" and that that's okay.

Ok, I'm biting~what's a troll?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

Back on topic, I also find that finding my morals and ethics within myself to be very empowering. I have seen (not on this thread, just in the past) confusion from some Christian posters who do not understand how someone could have morals without an outside source laying out what they should be. I have to admit, I just find that way of thinking hard to comprehend. Just another reason why religion, any religion, isn't a good match for me. I don't want to look for an outside source to dictate who I should be as a person.

Back on topic, I also find that finding my morals and ethics within myself to be very empowering. I have seen (not on this thread, just in the past) confusion from some Christian posters who do not understand how someone could have morals without an outside source laying out what they should be. I have to admit, I just find that way of thinking hard to comprehend. Just another reason why religion, any religion, isn't a good match for me. I don't want to look for an outside source to dictate who I should be as a person.

I have to say that this is one area where ya'll have broadened me. Many of us that were raised Christian, and are Christian, have had it pounded into us that Christianity is the basis of our morals. But then, the Jews have morals also...oh, wait, they are the exception ;) (tongue in cheek, just how it was presented when we were young). However, Scripture states that "Eternity is in their hearts". This applies to Christians and non-Christians and it put some things into perspective for me.

Thanks!

I'm really not trying to come across as unkind or judgemetal. I am of the conservative movement and have been a christian for 15 years~and I guess living with no tv, and not following the news really, its just sooo hard to believe there is such differences and acceptance of things, like the 50 shades of grey book, the Hunger Games, etc,,,I just didn't realize these things we soo much a part of society and amoung the homeschoolers.

This thread though has been interesting to say the least.

What do you to teach your children about current events and a culture greater than their own small world?

As an educator, aren't you concerned that your children will know nothing of politics, society, or current events if you don't stay informed?

This is certainly a shock to see sooo many mamas, who hs thir chilren, have such different views.

I'm confused on a couple things~Audrey says she's a witch, which I don't understand that at all.

Then there is a lady, who ends her posts 2mamas and 3 babies??

What an unusual topic. Most of my views re completely opposite most of yours, and I won't try to explain them.

:001_huh:

:bigear:

:lurk5:

Thanks!

I'm really not trying to come across as unkind or judgemetal. I am of the conservative movement and have been a christian for 15 years~and I guess living with no tv, and not following the news really, its just sooo hard to believe there is such differences and acceptance of things, like the 50 shades of grey book, the Hunger Games, etc,,,I just didn't realize these things we soo much a part of society and amoung the homeschoolers.

Then I suggest you try one heck of a lot harder.

Thanks!

I haven't read either of those books, nor do I have a TV. However, that doesn't make me insult other people's views.

My husband and I had this conversation a few weeks ago. We both agreed that the Golden Rule (which I gather is pretty much a universal rule) says it all. There are so many other religious rules that seem put in place just to have power over other people.

I remembered how to quote!

That's overreaching. The poster just stated surprise, asked for clarification, then made some boring comment about having different views. Views on what? We don't know for sure. We can guess but until she reveals what they are, it's rather hard to discuss them and stranger to insult her.

Oh come on now. I'm pretty sure what she/he was getting at. Maybe I'll give a pass on the witch comment, but unless she lives under a rock she surely knew what two mamas raising three children meant.

Thanks!

I am so confused as to what reading the Hunger Games has to do with it. I didn't know that conservative Christians weren't supposed to read that book. I always thought that was just a personal preference type of thing.

If things like this shock you, how are you teaching your kids about the world around them? Scripture says that we are supposed to be 'in the world' just not of it. It doesn't say we are supposed to live in a protective little bubble away from the shocking, heathen ways of the world.

If it's not too late to post on topic -

I left Christianity when I started reading the bible. I was raised Catholic - old school 1960's Catholic. The kind that is socially liberal and usually voted for Democrats. We were nominal Catholics so when I met dh and he said his ex was Catholic, I had no problem converting to Methodist. He was raised in a loosely religious home also.

As a Catholic, there wasn't much (any really) bible reading going on. I think it's different now, but that's not how it was when I was growing up. So, when I joined the Methodist church I also joined a bible study. I also started reading it every day at home. The more I read, the more I scratched my head. Even though Methodists aren't bible literalists, I still couldn't wrap my mind around the stories even as metaphors. I started looking into other religions, but I think by then the scientific part of my brain took over. I just couldn't believe in a supernatural being, Christian or any other.

Unlike some people, I didn't struggle or feel sad when I let go of belief. It was just kind of a shrug and realization that there's nothing "out there" and that that's okay.

I have a really similar story. I was raised Catholic and explored other faiths in college. Nothing really rang true and once I started reading and researching, Christianity in general just fell apart for me. I attend a UU church now that has been a good fit for our family.

We don't have cable, but yet some of my kid's best friends were raised in single gendered families. Heck - some of them even homeschool! :001_huh::D

I must be PMS'ing because I am ready to cry in frustration that a troll has caused such a good discussion to degenerate into silliness.

Is there any hope of returning to serious discussion?

I can say that for myself, admitting that I was no longer a believer was not easy and not fun. It was a real loss and called into question a lot of things in my life. It helped to hear from others who were on a similar path.

:grouphug: We will get it back on track!!! No Blue Moon or trolls on their second identity, will derail.

Edited by Juniper

I don't know if you were referrng to me or not, but I certainly was not trying to cause problems. I've beenon this board sinse April, I think, and dont have myny posts and am not even on this site that often. When I saw the title of the thread, I assumed it was about falling from grace, or having faih then loosing it~more of a "do you believe in eternal securit" type ?. When I started reading all these posts, from HOMEschool mamas, I was simple shocked. I guess I live a pretty sheltered life, as I didn't realize there ARE witches??? How can someone be a witch? That is confusing to me. Also, I didn't realize there are people, who do not live as husband and wife, (MAN and WOman) who homeschool. That surprises me as well.

Jesus told the woman at the well, who HE DID forgive, to go and SIN NO MORE.

That's all. My views are complete opposite of most of yours, and I'm not here to debate. I won't be chaging my mind, as you likely won't either. I think its great to be able to share OUR own views, I was just completely taken back by all this!

I love the gays too!!!!:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: And I'm no christain. Seriously laughing at this post. Made my day!!!

Thanks!

Number one, there is a world of difference between the 50 Shades books and The Hunger Games. I should know; I've read them all. And now you know I'm not a "good enough" Christian. :tongue_smilie:

We don't watch much TV, and we NEVER watch the news. But I feel it would be doing myself and my children a great disservice if I didn't learn and then teach them about the world around us. I could choose to live under a rock or in a bubble, or I can choose to make them productive members of society who love God and love other people. I am proud that my husband and I choose the later. Knowledge is power.

I would not want to be considered part of any "movement," conservative or otherwise.