Menu

Help with kitten!

We rescued a kitten today. It was in the middle of the road dodging traffic. By some miracle it didn't get hurt and we got it.

We think it was a feral and it appears only about 5 weeks old. We have no idea how or what to feed it. I picked up some wet cat food but upon reading a bit it seems it might need something else.

That said we aren't going to keep it I am going to call around tomorrow before work and hopefully get a place to drop it off otherwise I won't be able to drop it off until Wednesday.

Will it starve overnight if it doesn't eat? What about liquids? We can get some water into it.

Sorry I keep saying it we haven't determined if it is a he or a she yet!

Any and all advice is needed! We haven't ever had a kitten without a mom this young before.

At five weeks, solid kitty food might be enough. It should be formulated for kittens; IDK if canned food comes that way or not, but you should be able to find a dry food that is. Yes, your kitty can eat dry food. She should have water available at all times, and she needs a little bitty litter box.

What color is the kitty? Sometimes that's an indicator of gender.

At five weeks, solid kitty food might be enough. It should be formulated for kittens; IDK if canned food comes that way or not, but you should be able to find a dry food that is. Yes, your kitty can eat dry food. She should have water available at all times, and she needs a little bitty litter box.

What color is the kitty? Sometimes that's an indicator of gender.

Solid grey with a white spot on the belly.

Also need to add I guess the kitty was hurt.

The kitty's urine was red tinged. Not solid, it was watered down but definitely blood in the urine. There was also a couple drops of blood near the pee spot as well. Not looking good. If the kitty makes it through the night I will be taking it to the vet tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Female kitty bottoms look like this: " i "

Male kitty bottoms look like this: " : "

Anyway...at 5 weeks they can eat regular food, wet or dry. Dry food should be kitten variety, wet food generally has enough calories that you can feed them adult variety. I think what you got should be fine b/c honestly, for only a couple days, it really doesn't matter. If you have a crate, I would just keep it in that, and leave a small bowls of food and water, and it should be okay. Good luck!

Edited by somo_chickenlady

Oh poor little kitty!! Are you pretty certain about how many weeks old it is? If doesn't eat the solids you could get some kitten milk replacer from the pet store and let it lick it off the spoon. I had to do that with a kitten once and they were fine with that til they could eat solids. Please keep us updated and let us know how it's doing. Poor little thing! :( And can I just add, thank you so much for being a Good Samaritan to that little kitten. It no doubt would be dead now if you hadn't stopped. :grouphug: :grouphug: