Menu

Pardon my ignorance, but is Minecraft educational?

DS knows nothing of this. Not sure if I should introduce him to it or not. It sounds like something he would enjoy, but I don't want to be encouraging yet another addiction :glare:

But if it was educational, in a logic/critical thinking/strategic kinda way, I may consider blowing it wide open :D

Somewhat I guess. I've tried to boost the educational value though-- for instance, last year I had DS and a friend work on a project where they constructed the periodic table. Then, each "room" of the table you went into there was information about the element. They had a lot of fun with it and learned a lot, too.

Somewhat I guess. I've tried to boost the educational value though-- for instance, last year I had DS and a friend work on a project where they constructed the periodic table. Then, each "room" of the table you went into there was information about the element. They had a lot of fun with it and learned a lot, too.

What a great idea! Minecraft assignments.

We are studying ancient Egypt and ds12 started building it on Minecraft.

If you consider fostering creativity and teaching natural problem solving, then yes it is. It isn't academic (three Rs) educational, though. If you consider Legos and other building toys educational, then Minecraft is as well.

:iagree: I consider it much more open ended and creative than most video games. I'm not sure I'd call it educational though. I still limit my kid's time on it.

We were working on square roots the other day. Ds knew all the 8 factors because of Minecraft. He builds me houses in Minecraft. He has been interested in programming because of Minecraft and spend his spare time working on C++ and Java. I hear all about Notch (sp?), the designer, and what he is doing.

He's had Minecraft since it was in Alpha. I remember the conversation about him explaining why I needed to Paypal some random guy in a Scandinavian country money so he could play this game that I'd never heard of. :lol: This was a few years ago.

I hear about Mine-con going to be France this year and how ds hates French things (long story) but would go there to attend Mine-con.

Ds now wants to be a game designer and own his own company. This desire comes in very handy at the high school level when I hear "why do I have to do algebra?" or "Why do I have to learn how to write this?"

Now that I think about it, Minecraft probably is responsible for ds wanting to make games. Last night he was printing about a bunch of ideas he wants to use in the future. To do that he had to use a writing program I bought, learn how to print and format pages from it to pdf and Word.

He spends hours watching C++ and Java tutorials. He dumped Windows from his laptop so he could upload a Linux system and has been using a program in Linux to help. He showed me a model he's been working on. It's like a 2d version of Minecraft.

So, yeah, in our house anyway, Minecraft has been very educational, and it's leverage to motivate him. Plus it has zombies.

My kids haven't used it yet. But, a told me they would love it, so they might use it soon.

She never claimed it is educational, but she did say it was very creative. She also liked how her boys had to work together. For her, that was valuable.

So, I don't know if it qualifies as educational, but it doesn't have to be a total mind suck either. And, to my knowledge, it isn't violent or destructive. If it is those things, please tell me because I might let my kids play it.

We were working on square roots the other day. Ds knew all the 8 factors because of Minecraft. He builds me houses in Minecraft. He has been interested in programming because of Minecraft and spend his spare time working on C++ and Java. I hear all about Notch (sp?), the designer, and what he is doing.

He's had Minecraft since it was in Alpha. I remember the conversation about him explaining why I needed to Paypal some random guy in a Scandinavian country money so he could play this game that I'd never heard of. :lol: This was a few years ago.

I hear about Mine-con going to be France this year and how ds hates French things (long story) but would go there to attend Mine-con.

Ds now wants to be a game designer and own his own company. This desire comes in very handy at the high school level when I hear "why do I have to do algebra?" or "Why do I have to learn how to write this?"

Now that I think about it, Minecraft probably is responsible for ds wanting to make games. Last night he was printing about a bunch of ideas he wants to use in the future. To do that he had to use a writing program I bought, learn how to print and format pages from it to pdf and Word.

He spends hours watching C++ and Java tutorials. He dumped Windows from his laptop so he could upload a Linux system and has been using a program in Linux to help. He showed me a model he's been working on. It's like a 2d version of Minecraft.

So, yeah, in our house anyway, Minecraft has been very educational, and it's leverage to motivate him. Plus it has zombies.

Paula, your ds sounds so much like ds15! Ds moderates a couple of Minecraft servers. He makes tutorials. He sets up challenges and tries challenges (like lasting all night in a desert terrain) that are good for problem solving. He has asked if as an independent study this year if he can design a video game. He has an online pal who is going to work on this with him. He's gotten me to go on Minecraft with him. I do it because I value my relationship with my son. It isn't the sort of game that is relaxing for me. But is nice to have his friends tell me that I'm a cool mom.;)

My daughter loves minecraft -- she's used it to build her own versions of the seven wonders of the world, and had spirited debates about the "real design" of the hanging gardens...

I'd agree, it's about as educational as legos. Plus a bit of typing skill and computer literacy if they aren't already good with computers. Other than that, it is what they bring to it.

Paula, your ds sounds so much like ds15! Ds moderates a couple of Minecraft servers. He makes tutorials. He sets up challenges and tries challenges (like lasting all night in a desert terrain) that are good for problem solving. He has asked if as an independent study this year if he can design a video game. He has an online pal who is going to work on this with him. He's gotten me to go on Minecraft with him. I do it because I value my relationship with my son. It isn't the sort of game that is relaxing for me. But is nice to have his friends tell me that I'm a cool mom.;)

Ds shows me what he makes. I get nauseous watching him move around so quickly. It's nice to see those extensions.

Someone on youtube posted a tornado in Minecraft video. It was very cool.

I have seen it mentioned a lot here.

I am not into video games at all but DS11 is and when I took a quick look at the website, it looks to me like on-line Lego building? Is that what it is?

:bigear:

Nope, just addictive. I just asked my own little addict if it was educational and he just laughed and said 'no.'

I'd say they're ever-so-slightly less valuable than Legos. Sooooo . . .it all deepens on how you feel about Legos and whether or not you'd let your kids play with them during math time :-)

What a great idea! Minecraft assignments.

We are studying ancient Egypt and ds12 started building it on Minecraft.

Thanks! Wish I had more of those inspired teaching moments. LOL

Lots of other great ideas in this thread-- I'm bookmarking!

Ds moderates a couple of Minecraft servers. He makes tutorials. He sets up challenges and tries challenges (like lasting all night in a desert terrain) that are good for problem solving. He has asked if as an independent study this year if he can design a video game.

FWIW, I'd love to hear how my ds can find any problem-solving challenges. My kids are totally addicted, and it's only the second week we've had it :tongue_smilie:. Just last night I was thinking that a truly educational Minecraft (as in, one that taught math or something :D) could be a gold mine.

It depends.

My ds11 uses it to create circuit boards and wiring stuff. I think that is educational.

My ds8 created a sheep cannon. I don't think that is educational at all.

I have to disagree. Just the imagination and creativity needed to think of and create a sheep cannon in Minecraft is entirely educational IMO. :lol:

I think it's fairly education in a general sense. My boys will spend hours playing it if I let them. Although I have to say that DS14 plays more while DS18 is mostly into building stuff. But he also still has every lego ever given to him, so take that for what it's worth. :lol:

I'm not sure if I would say it is educational, per se. Yet, it does require critical thinking and problem solving skills. Additionally, the game, as a whole, encourages creativity, which, IMO, is never a bad thing.

My son is fairly young but playing Minecraft on multi-player servers has helped his reading, spelling and he's getting to be a fairly quick typist. It's also helped him some with social skills (I know weird since it's not real life), since he is fairly awkward with other kids. He's had to get along, wait his turn, not get to do everything he wants to do, come to agreements with the group, etc.

I love the ideas for building challenges related to history or science topics. That is a very cool idea.

As far as I can tell, the relative hardnesses of the materials used are accurate to real life. So there is some educational value there (especially since we are in the middle of a rocks and minerals study).

Nope, just addictive. I just asked my own little addict if it was educational and he just laughed and said 'no.'

I'd say they're ever-so-slightly less valuable than Legos. Sooooo . . .it all deepens on how you feel about Legos and whether or not you'd let your kids play with them during math time :-)

Ahhh, yes, but you can't step on Minecraft! You can't strew it all over the place and make a horrible mess! I think that makes it at least slightly more valuable than Legos. ;)

Ahhh, yes, but you can't step on Minecraft! You can't strew it all over the place and make a horrible mess! I think that makes it at least slightly more valuable than Legos. ;)

You had me at "can't step on Minecraft!".

Thank you ladies. Off to see exactly how much this costs and how I can do this for DS. I think this will make the perfect "not-back-to-school-gift" for our official start next Tuesday.

I have seen it mentioned a lot here.

I am not into video games at all but DS11 is and when I took a quick look at the website, it looks to me like on-line Lego building? Is that what it is?

:bigear:

My son, a Minecraft player, says that Minecraft is not like Legos. It is "so much more than that." You start with nothing, but end up building enormous structures and gathering resources to build weapons, armor and tools. You eventually create cities and worlds. Some of them join with friends on their servers and create all sorts of societies.

He loves it. His friend has a server of his own and groups of friends play all the time, when he has free time. It looks visually like online Legos to me too!

It costs $25, a one time fee. We just bought a disposable credit card and used that.

You had me at "can't step on Minecraft!".

Thank you ladies. Off to see exactly how much this costs and how I can do this for DS. I think this will make the perfect "not-back-to-school-gift" for our official start next Tuesday.

:lol: For those reading who already have Minecraft obsessed children, here is a really cool Minecraft themed party Nest of 3 here made for her son.

I just asked my 11 yr old and he said, "Uhhhhhhh (with a chuckle),It's creative!

1 hit with a sword + 2 hits with an axe = a dead zombie. That's math!

Also, there are libraries in it! "

Me: can you read the books? Him: No, sadly they are just for decoration.

I just asked my 11 yr old and he said, "Uhhhhhhh (with a chuckle),It's creative!

1 hit with a sword + 2 hits with an axe = a dead zombie. That's math!

Also, there are libraries in it! "

Me: can you read the books? Him: No, sadly they are just for decoration.

Actually, with one of the new patches/updates you can in fact write in the books.

It depends.

My ds11 uses it to create circuit boards and wiring stuff. I think that is educational.

My ds8 created a sheep cannon. I don't think that is educational at all.

I might be more educational than you think. My 12 year old informs me that making a sheep cannon is the more complex of these two tasks. She's impressed. :tongue_smilie:

I agree that it's not exactly educational, but it does allow them to use their creativity. Scratch.mit.edu is much more educational. And codeacademy.com. (And I would love to hear of other similar sites for kids who love this sort of thing.)

It has, however, motivated ds to learn how to set up his own server and all sorts of other neat projects that I don't understand.

My son is extremely passionate about Minecraft. He even thinks he is going to Paris in November for the Minecraft convention! Um, okay. I asked him the question and he said, "Minecraft is creative." (He was homeschooled, so he knows the distinction between educational and creative.) I would agree, and the previous poster who mentioned that it improves social skills has a really good point. It is very interactive, and my child has had a lot of opportunities to practice resolving disputes and misunderstandings with his friends. The also have to cooperate. My son built a skyscraper and suggested that his friend build a restaurant to occupy the top floor of it. He also builds computers on Minecraft -- very simple ones that remind me a lot of programming in BASIC during the 1970's.

He created a server, which was not easy but was very rewarding for him. But he doesn't use it anymore because he uses a different server that some older kids made. He said it is much more advanced and you can do many more things on it. I believe you can also play by yourself, but I think that gets kind of old after a while.

Julie