Menu

Mom, I confess, I put corn in my nose and want it out!

:svengo:Said my crying 5 year old daughter to me today.

"When?" I asked. "When you saw the other corn in my nose," she replies. "My nose bleeded when I tried to get it out, but I couldn't and now I need help!" She is wailing by now.

Ok, so about a week ago I saw a piece of whole kernal corn in the tip of her nose and though her brother had her do it to tease me. I knocked it out, she said that was all, and didn't think about it. She did have a nose bleed one night but I attributed that to the antihistimines. My dd has apparently been thinking for a week that corn is still in her nose and has finally panicked enough to ask for help.

So, laryngitis and all (my voice continues to deterioriate and is barely a whisper now), I call the pediatrician. They want me to come ASAP.

After careful inspection of her nose..... they see nothing. However, on the side she claimed to put the corn in, there is swelling and evidence of scratches. The doctor called the ENT who said they wanted her in 30 minutes.

The offices are 1 mile apart, with a Sonic and a pizza place in between. Did I mention it was now lunch time and I had not eaten breakfast? I stop for lunch at the pizza buffet and dd just sat and cried. She was too terrified to eat.

The ENT, kind gentle man, said he didn't see anything but with the swelling in her nose, he couldn't see very far. So he squirts something in her nose to make the swelling go down and she nearly passes out from fear. 10 sneezing minutes later, he looked in and found

nothing.:glare::001_huh:

So, how has your day been?

:svengo:Said my crying 5 year old daughter to me today.

"When?" I asked. "When you saw the other corn in my nose," she replies. "My nose bleeded when I tried to get it out, but I couldn't and now I need help!" She is wailing by now.

Ok, so about a week ago I saw a piece of whole kernal corn in the tip of her nose and though her brother had her do it to tease me. I knocked it out, she said that was all, and didn't think about it. She did have a nose bleed one night but I attributed that to the antihistimines. My dd has apparently been thinking for a week that corn is still in her nose and has finally panicked enough to ask for help.

So, laryngitis and all (my voice continues to deterioriate and is barely a whisper now), I call the pediatrician. They want me to come ASAP.

After careful inspection of her nose..... they see nothing. However, on the side she claimed to put the corn in, there is swelling and evidence of scratches. The doctor called the ENT who said they wanted her in 30 minutes.

The offices are 1 mile apart, with a Sonic and a pizza place in between. Did I mention it was now lunch time and I had not eaten breakfast? I stop for lunch at the pizza buffet and dd just sat and cried. She was too terrified to eat.

The ENT, kind gentle man, said he didn't see anything but with the swelling in her nose, he couldn't see very far. So he squirts something in her nose to make the swelling go down and she nearly passes out from fear. 10 sneezing minutes later, he looked in and found

nothing.:glare::001_huh:

So, how has your day been?

I'm so sorry, but this just made me truly audibly laugh out loud! :grouphug:

I'm so sorry, but this just made me truly audibly laugh out loud! :grouphug:

It's ok. I have laughed some as well. Behind daughter's back of course.

This all happened after the goats broke the fence and wandered to the neighbors and I had to catch some renigade chickens who found a place in their run to squeeze out. Yeah, so much for a quiet day :tongue_smilie:

Gosh, you should come and sit with me. Tuesday evening I got to take my husband to the emergency room. It seems that my 13 yo ds had lost a fishing lure with two triple hooks on it under the coach. Our faithful Labrador did her best to retrieve it, but upon realize that it was sharp gave a tremendous head shake and out it came and into the side of dh's foot, two hooks nicely embedded. We cut his sock off and tried to figure out how to get them out, but fish hooks aren't meant to come out. So off to the emergency room for five hours of waiting.

Sad part was that if he hadn't been foul hooked my dog would have the county record for largest catch.

oh I know the feeling, well other than the goats and chickens part. When my oldest son was 3.5 he loved pistachios, so we bought them already shelled to give him as a snack. This child had never put anything up his nose before, not even a finger (he was weird I know) but decided to put the pistachios up his nose. After a trip to the ER where we waited for about an hour so they could call in an ENT, they all came sliding out while waiting for the DR in the exam room. The little bugger had managed to get 7 of them up there between the two sides. They gave him x-rays to make sure none made it anywhere that was hard to see, but saw nothing else, thank goodness.

Gosh, you should come and sit with me. Tuesday evening I got to take my husband to the emergency room. It seems that my 13 yo ds had lost a fishing lure with two triple hooks on it under the coach. Our faithful Labrador did her best to retrieve it, but upon realize that it was sharp gave a tremendous head shake and out it came and into the side of dh's foot, two hooks nicely embedded. We cut his sock off and tried to figure out how to get them out, but fish hooks aren't meant to come out. So off to the emergency room for five hours of waiting.

Sad part was that if he hadn't been foul hooked my dog would have the county record for largest catch.

Look on the bright side, an adult human that you can talk to is probably easier to manage than a large yellow lab with one completely through her tongue(yes I have had to deal with that).

I'm sorry, but if your dd had been my patient, she would have made my day!! :lol:

You would not BELIEVE what kids shove up their nose and in their ears. But truly, after a week, she probably would have been a bit stinky.

So really, it could have been worse. Ask me about the kid with the pieces of hot dog up his nose sometime. :D

I'm sorry, but if your dd had been my patient, she would have made my day!! :lol:

You would not BELIEVE what kids shove up their nose and in their ears. But truly, after a week, she probably would have been a bit stinky.

So really, it could have been worse. Ask me about the kid with the pieces of hot dog up his nose sometime. :D

Not stinky, thankfully! She is the 'good' child. She never does crazy stuff, unlike her brother. Just a couple of weeks ago, of course, I read some story about a kid who had a lego tire up his nose for years and the doctor just found it, before they were preparing to do some kind of invasive sinus surgery. I gloated that neither of my kids had ever put stuff in their noses LOL. ;)

I don't know what he sprayed in her nose to reduce swelling, but she definately needed it. There is still so much snot and gunk coming out that I think he saved us from another round of antibiotics.

Aw, poor baby. That goes for BOTH of you. :D

When my mom was a little girl she went on a trans-Atlantic voyage. One night in bed (in a cabin shared with big brother and little sister, so bro was in charge but probably asleep) she poked at her belly button. It looked a little pink so she kept poking at it, wondering if something was wrong. Soon she had worked herself into a panic and was utterly convinced that she was going to die, so she went to get her parents...who were at a fancy cocktail party with the captain.

How has my day been?! Not nearly as bad as yours! Holy cow! I hope you have a guiet evening and everyone is feeling better in the morning.

Yes, despite my earlier laughing, I wish you a quiet evening too.

Part of the reason I laughed is b/c I was reliving a memory.

When she was little, my Dd could be a real stinker when she got tired. Well, she got tired on vacation once and screamed and fussed and would not listen at a restaurant so bad that everyone was still looking at us when I took her outside and skipped my meal. She alternated b/t screaming and crying in her car seat and sleeping :001_huh: for a few seconds at a time.

She seemed to calm down once we got back to the hotel. Then she decided she would not put on her PJs. My Ds and Dh laughed hysterically as I wrestled her to her bed and took off her clothes. Once I had the pants off and the PJs on I held up her clothes and yelled "Victory!" Even Dd was laughing Ha, ha.....

Finally we all settled down with lights out. The end? No. After about 15 mins (just as I was calming down & getting into the book I was reading by my book light) I hear her tentatively say "Mommy" I tried to ignore her, but finally answered "What?"

Darling sweet little voice answers "Can you please take this rock out of my nose?"

Yup, she had a small rock up there. Don't know when she put it there. Maybe that's why she was so cranky.

Yabbut, not always. My youngest had a 1" long by 1/2" wide piece of candy wrapper (it was rolled up into a cylinder) he shoved up his nose. It was up there for at least 9 months, maybe longer. We noticed one side of his nose running more than the other off and on, but it took the pediatrician looking up there 3 separate times over the months before it was finally visible. No smell, to the shock of me & our pediatrician. Ds6 did stop snoring after it was removed :lol:.