Menu

Piano shopping is driving me nuts!

I have listened and played 15 different pianos and hummed and hawed over the decision now for month. I would really like to get a steinway, but you definitely pay for that name. So then I looked at some Yamaha's but the only ones I really liked the sound on were a GB1 and a U1. So then I looked at a couple Essex, but the action feels more like a Kawai or a Young-Chang and less like an German or American made, which is odd because they are supposed to be using Steinway styles with those. So then I looked at a second hand Baldwin but then the idea of going second hand makes me a little unsure. So now I'm back to just being confused and frustrated. Perhaps I'll start back at the beginning. I need to have a piano in here before lessons start again for the kids.

Not really asking anything, just needed to share my frustration.

I can sympathize. When we went piano shopping, poor DD must have played 15-20 different pianos. We were shopping used due to our budget and it felt like she played a million junkers before we found the perfect one.

And then poor DH and DS16 had to move it. Arrrgggh!

I have listened and played 15 different pianos and hummed and hawed over the decision now for month. I would really like to get a steinway, but you definitely pay for that name. So then I looked at some Yamaha's but the only ones I really liked the sound on were a GB1 and a U1. So then I looked at a couple Essex, but the action feels more like a Kawai or a Young-Chang and less like an German or American made, which is odd because they are supposed to be using Steinway styles with those. So then I looked at a second hand Baldwin but then the idea of going second hand makes me a little unsure. So now I'm back to just being confused and frustrated. Perhaps I'll start back at the beginning. I need to have a piano in here before lessons start again for the kids.

I've gone through it and it's enough to drive anyone crazy. I was not anywhere near as well versed as you when I was shopping though. That made it harder. I was constantly researching and couldn't really try the piano b/c I didn't play at the time and was buying so I could learn and later Dc. I finally settled on a used Charles Walter, which is American made. We have been pleased with the sound. Then I had to convince Dh it was in our budget.

I can sympathize. When we went piano shopping, poor DD must have played 15-20 different pianos. We were shopping used due to our budget and it felt like she played a million junkers before we found the perfect one.

:iagree: Us, too. Trying to find the best possible piano on a budget was quite a process for us.

Ds liked playing the many different pianos part. I offered to leave him at one piano store. The owner said he could dust the pianos and sleep on the cushy bench in exchange for getting to play all of the different pianos. ;)

Cat

Shopping for a piano was worse than dealing with used car salesman for me. I finally settled on a Petrof upright that has been AMAZING!!!!! It seriously sounds and feels like a grand. (I have two degrees in piano and am super picky.) This was ten years ago, though, and they have since been unavailable here because of some kind of trade dispute or something. I have recently heard that my piano dealer is beginning to sell them again. Definitely worth looking into. Of course my dream piano is a $100,000 seven foot Schimmel......but until then I'm pretty satisfied with my Petrof. Hope you find something you love!

I hear ya, it was awful when we went through it! Took about 2 years to find the right one for us. It's a 1906 upright grand that was in great condition. We just love it and got a good deal on it too.

If you decide to go used, hire a technician come do an evaluation. That really put my mind at ease since I am no expert in these things.

It is a pretty significant investment. Not sure what your budget is but have you looked at Schimmel? Their May Berlin is quite reasonably priced and sounds lovely, not that we are experts by any stretch.

Good luck - we joked that it was easier to buy our house than buy our piano :lol:

I'd go for the second hand Baldwin, but I'm biased since that's what I've been playing since I was a little girl ;) Seriously though, my kids' are now playing the Baldwin that my father bought used when I was a child. It's been moved across the country four times, and it's still going strong.

How dare you be piano shopping?! Don't you know there are children who can't afford to even hum a tune?!

*runs like heck*

Better kazoos than recorders. Recorders are what is played on the sound system in H*ll.

:lol::lol::lol: I'm not sure, violins and cellos can sound pretty nasty in the hands of a newbie too.

:iagree: Us, too. Trying to find the best possible piano on a budget was quite a process for us.

Ds liked playing the many different pianos part. I offered to leave him at one piano store. The owner said he could dust the pianos and sleep on the cushy bench in exchange for getting to play all of the different pianos. ;)

Cat

I would've been in heaven if someone had offered that to me. :D

Shopping for a piano was worse than dealing with used car salesman for me. I finally settled on a Petrof upright that has been AMAZING!!!!! It seriously sounds and feels like a grand. (I have two degrees in piano and am super picky.) This was ten years ago, though, and they have since been unavailable here because of some kind of trade dispute or something. I have recently heard that my piano dealer is beginning to sell them again. Definitely worth looking into. Of course my dream piano is a $100,000 seven foot Schimmel......but until then I'm pretty satisfied with my Petrof. Hope you find something you love!

We don't have anyone that carries Petrof pianos up here, I have played one in the past though and loved it!

It is a pretty significant investment. Not sure what your budget is but have you looked at Schimmel? Their May Berlin is quite reasonably priced and sounds lovely, not that we are experts by any stretch.

Good luck - we joked that it was easier to buy our house than buy our piano :lol:

I had forgotten about Schimmel, perhaps I can look at their baby grands. I might be wise to leave my poor dh behind for that one though:D. I agree on houses being easier. A house you can change a little bit. A piano has to be perfect fit.

Do you allow people to wear shoes while playing the piano in your house?

I don't allow people to wear shoes in the house normally so shoes on the piano are fairly rare. When I was practicing for performances/competitions I would wear my shoes to make sure I was comfortable with the change in how my feet felt, but that's about the only time I wore shoes or allowed shoes on the piano.

Well, we have a Kawaii and it is nothing like a Young Chang IMO. Kawaii was actually started by someone from Yamaha if I recall correctly. Our first Kawaii was purchased used but you would have never known it was used. Our piano dealer had purchased it used direct from Japan. We lost our first Kawaii in Katrina, but our insurance would allow us to replace it with any brand. We didn't think twice about buying Kawaii again. The dealer felt sorry for us and really sweetened the deal for us by throwing in a player for us. We love, love, love our player. My friend also lost their piano and went with the Steinway, and she says she likes my piano much better.

Cat

Kind of reminiscent of Fred sleeping in his office at KITTENS U,

I bought a Yamaha digital for home, and DD does a lot of her practice on the Steinway at church-there's always something that they can use my hands for, and she LOVES the sound and feel of that piano and how the sound bounces around the room. Even if I had the budget for a really, really good piano, I don't have that kind of space!

Well, we have a Kawaii and it is nothing like a Young Chang IMO. Kawaii was actually started by someone from Yamaha if I recall correctly. Our first Kawaii was purchased used but you would have never known it was used. Our piano dealer had purchased it used direct from Japan. We lost our first Kawaii in Katrina, but our insurance would allow us to replace it with any brand. We didn't think twice about buying Kawaii again. The dealer felt sorry for us and really sweetened the deal for us by throwing in a player for us. We love, love, love our player. My friend also lost their piano and went with the Steinway, and she says she likes my piano much better.

I have a Kawaii, and I love it. I do remember the ordeal of shopping for it, though. You have to keep playing them and go with which one "feels" and sounds right to you. I think it took me 5-6 weeks to make a decision.

Whereas I read the subject line as "piano sharpening is driving me nuts." I was at once marveling at my ignorance in not knowing that pianos needed to be sharpened and wondering just how big a piano sharpener would be.

Note to self: get new reading glasses.

:lol: I've read some strange thread titles before too....only to discover it was my eyes jumping around.

I find the Young Chang vary a fair amount from the Chinese lines to the Korean lines. They don't sound or feel anything the same. I should probably retry a few Kawaii. Add a couple more to the list :tongue_smilie:. I have always been in love with Steinway, but they are a pricey piano. They are a little heavier than some too I've found and not good for someone that tends to play less on the fortissimo side and more on the mezzo-forte or forte side. Perhaps it's my dynamics that need work and I should get a lighter piano.

Whereas I read the subject line as "piano sharpening is driving me nuts." I was at once marveling at my ignorance in not knowing that pianos needed to be sharpened and wondering just how big a piano sharpener would be.

Note to self: get new reading glasses.

:lol::lol: The whole in my youngest sons forehead after falling into the piano would say ours is sharp enough. No need to sharpen.