Menu

Kids loading the dishwasher correctly

I am always rearranging the stuff in the dishwasher after my kids load it.

I just had a good idea that might work. I've loaded the top rack properly and I'm going to take a picture of it and print it out and tape it nearby so the kids can refer to it.

Now I'm going to load the bottom rack and do the same thing.

Maybe I'm weird, but I have the whole load the dishwasher so it holds the most dishes thing down pat, and I want the kids to do it my way.

I'm getting shutterbugitis. I just took pictures of handwashing dishes -- plastics that won't fit in the dw, utensils, pots and pans ... this is becoming fun! These I will post on the wall above the sink. I included a picture of the wet sponge being sterilized inside the microwave for 2 minutes.

Now I'm going to photograph the inside of the kitchen cabs and drawers. I'm going to tape the pics inside the cabinet doors and will figure out where to tape them for the drawers.

That way, no more putting things in the wrong place, or stacking the bowls atop the plates or throwing the tableware in the drawer every which way. (We have new cabinets, so this is partly a result of that.)

Also going to take a picture of clean countertops, stove top, and sink so they will know what I want to see.

I might even get inspired to photograph the inside of the fridge. I'm tired of my organized fridge looking like a hodgepodge of food such that no one can find what they need after a day or two.

How old are your kids? Mine are 9 and I had my them unload the dishwasher for 2 years before I ever had them load it. When they do a stinky job of it now that they load it, I remind them that they unloaded it for a long time so they know what it should look like when they load it. One of my dd usually does a "just get done" job and I'll ask her if that's how it's suppose to look. That is all I say and she'll fix it rightly.

That's what I did, but that means you have to load it for while if you try it.

My kids are 13 and 12. They have been unloading the dw for years. It should be simple enough to load it the same way. But they don't. Half the dishes don't get in there because the space available is not used wisely.

The kids are perhaps trying to get out of this job by making me so frustrated I do it myself. Hence, the picture idea. There will be NO excuses by the time I'm done.

I'm even thinking of doing before and after pictures on cleaning the bathrooms.

I'm having fun in my own weird little way, so this is no hardship. Gosh, I might even do a pictorial on how to separate laundry and how to fold bath towels and put them away properly, and how to put clothes away *neatly* in drawers. And what the pantry contains -- where to put it away, and where to find it.

Somebody better stop me before I get carried away!

How old are your kids? Mine are 9 and I had my them unload the dishwasher for 2 years before I ever had them load it. When they do a stinky job of it now that they load it, I remind them that they unloaded it for a long time so they know what it should look like when they load it. One of my dd usually does a "just get done" job and I'll ask her if that's how it's suppose to look. That is all I say and she'll fix it rightly.

That's what I did, but that means you have to load it for while if you try it.

I am always rearranging the stuff in the dishwasher after my kids load it.

I just had a good idea that might work. I've loaded the top rack properly and I'm going to take a picture of it and print it out and tape it nearby so the kids can refer to it.

Now I'm going to load the bottom rack and do the same thing.

Maybe I'm weird, but I have the whole load the dishwasher so it holds the most dishes thing down pat, and I want the kids to do it my way.

I have seriously thought about cleaning my entire house, closets and all, and photographing it and then using those pictures for guidelines for the kids.

I may put that project on my to-do list!