Menu

If you just found out you were going to be moving Oct. 1...

How would you approach September, school-wise? We planned to start Tuesday. This week/weekend, I was going to finish (okay, start and finish!) my lesson planning, finish putting away supplies, etc. We just found out we have to move, and there's a house we're interested in very close by, lease starting Oct. 1.

So now, I'm feeling a bit torn. I don't want to start NO school. But starting all subjects, some with curriculum that is brand new to me, while packing the house, feels stressful (also knowing there will be unpacking/getting settled on the other side). I don't want to put all this energy into doing this full-swing schedule that has to be stopped as soon as we get in the groove. But I don't want to lose 6 weeks of school! What would you do? I don't want to stretch packing to be a longer job than it needs to be, but I hate leaving stuff til the last minute and being stressed. Thoughts? (Can you tell I'm a bit tizzified?)

Did you move yourselves? So a week to go from "house completely normal" to "new house completely unpacked"? Wow.

Mrs. Mungo is an armed forces wife. They have special powers when it comes to all aspects of moving that ordinary mortals can only dream of :tongue_smilie:

Mrs. Mungo is an armed forces wife. They have special powers when it comes to all aspects of moving that ordinary mortals can only dream of :tongue_smilie:

:lol: That makes me feel better! Waiting until a week before moving to pack my first box makes me feel like I'm going to break out in hives!

So, no schooling, just packing?

I don't even have what I *need* to start planning our curric yet! It's been a complete gong show w/shipping via UPS.

I *was* planning on doing some work books in spelling and math w/the Littles, but waiting on those too :glare:

We were *supposed* to start on Tues. :glare:

I don't even have what I *need* to start planning our curric yet! It's been a complete gong show w/shipping via UPS.

I *was* planning on doing some work books in spelling and math w/the Littles, but waiting on those too :glare:

We were *supposed* to start on Tues. :glare:

:grouphug: It'll be okay. A couple of days/week in the grand scheme is no biggie.

Did you move yourselves? So a week to go from "house completely normal" to "new house completely unpacked"? Wow.

No, we didn't move ourselves (although we have moved ourselves before). And we start schooling before we are completely unpacked. It takes us about 8 weeks to be (what I consider) completely unpacked, moved in with the house done. We can't ever afford to take off that kind of time in the middle of the year. Just go down to basics, if necessary. For us, basics=math, grammar, reading, history, science.

:lol:

Do your kids like workbooks or do anything independently? With my DD, I'd be inclined to tell her that I wanted her to do school from 10:00-12:00 each day, and give her a list of options-maybe a complete curriculum workbook, activities on various websites, notebook of copywork, books to read, make lego scenes from SOTW..anything that doesn't require a lot of my input, and then pack during that time in a way where I'd be near her so she can talk at me (since the school room is full of books, I could easily spend several days packing there, then move DD to doing her work at the kitchen table while I pack that stuff, and so on). Even if she doesn't get much actually accomplished as far as moving ahead in curriculum, it helps establish the pattern of doing school. And for my DD, a move would be a big enough disruption to really bother her, so getting school established before we left and getting it started again, even on a very independent, minor level, would be extremely helpful in keeping her equilibrium and keeping my sanity.

3Rs sound good. Yes, there is independent stuff that all of my kids can be doing, even while I pack. Thank you. This helps me get my head around how to do the next 4 weeks. I'm sad to pack up my Sonlight Core that I'm going to do with my littles but I think the peace that will come from sticking to the basics with them is worth delaying it.

I've moved quite a bit so I know where you are coming from. In fact, I'm in a middle of a move myself. This is what I've done. I have to accept my limitations. How much can I mentally focus on homeschooling because when I pack, I can only pack. So since you don't want to pack last minute, pretend that you don't have to school. When would you start packing then? How much will you pack? Everything or most and live on basic kitchen supplies, clothes in luggages and a box of toys.

Next you have to be accepting on how your kids are going to react and you pack up and get ready for the move. Are they independent or do they need you to motivate and teach them? If the former, then lesson plan for those and trust they will continue to do their school diligently with your occasional check-up. If it's more a later, then there's nothing wrong with doing very little. One to two months won't be too bad and you can catch up in the summer next year. There are online games that are educational like bbc kids games, thatquiz.org. My kids don't mind doing that math drills online 10 min a day. Also, my kids usually don't mind tv- school. Documentaries, Liberal Kids, Horrible Histories, Magic School Bus, Salsa, Cyberchase, Word World and the like. Have them read on anything they are interested in from the library. Think kid-directed projects like fort building in the backyard. Or buy them a science/art kit and have the big kids teach the young ones. Or have them read-aloud half an hour to the younger from AO's booklist. Or even have the older kids take over meals. They will learn to manage projects and also other people's expectations and desires, not forgetting patience. :p

It's all good. Really.

Assuming you haven't moved in awhile, I would take the next 4 weeks to purge, sell, donate, organize everything before packing up.

I would get the lesson planning done now and everything you need for school packed and ready to go as soon as you get into the new house. I would have educational movies and books ready for now that relate to what they are studying and have them spend half a day on that, half helping you with the move preparation.

If you move often and just need to box it up, I agree with Mrs. Mungo that one week is plenty. My family moved a lot as kids and it was quick and easy because we never accumulated as much *stuff*, but we've been in this house awhile and there would be a lot of prep-work necessary to be ready to pack.