Menu

Sequential Spelling iPad app

peepsmama

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give an update on our Sequential Spelling iPad app experience in case anyone is considering it for the upcoming school year.  We purchased the app for my 9 y/o but have had nothing but problems.  We contacted the company for support and received timely responses at first with trouble shooting suggestions but continued to have difficulties and could no longer get a response.  While my son has enjoyed the program, I have not received updates with his progress and am not able to view his progress.  

Because my son has enjoyed the program, I thought maybe the DVD version would be worth a try since the iPad version doesn't seem to be working for us.  I tried to ask about it at the Sequential Spelling booth at our recent homeschool convention.  The representative told me that the DVD version was illegal, that they were in court fighting it so he wasn't able to comment, basically accused me of having a recording device to record his comments and then walked off.  It was the most bizarre interaction.  As a result, I will not use Sequential Spelling in any form.

• Like 1

Good evening, Munchkins.

I am the person to whom you spoke at FPEA.  I need to correct some inaccuracies in your account.

First, I did not say the DVD was illegal but unauthorized.  That is a very different thing.

Second, I did not accuse you of making a recording or carrying a recording device.  You asked for advice on the DVDs.  I informed you that I could not help because the DVD is not our product and is not authorized.  I further explained that I could not say more because the case is still in litigation.  For those who have not known the joys of Federal Litigation, you must be very careful about what you say about proceedings outside the court or its filings.  The other side has gotten itself into trouble more than once by speaking out of school.  As an example, I invite you to look at our website now and at any other time back to July, 2011.  You will note very few changes.  This is at the request of our lawyers. 

Third, as you pointed out, I provided very timely assistance when asked.  However, at a certain point, it becomes clear that I cannot help any further because the issue is not with the app.  More than a 1000 families are currently using the app.  A handful are having continuing problems.  Of this handful, six approached me with their i-pads in Greenville or Cincinnati.  All six had their app working perfectly in minutes and I did nothing magical or secret.  At a certain point, users have to accept responsibility to manage their own technology because I simply cannot help some things from a distance.  It seems likely you find yourself in this group.

I regret that you have chosen to use some program other than ours, since I am confident ours is both the best and the most effective in terms of cost and time. I wish you all the best with whatever program you choose in the future.

Best regards,

Thomas Morrow

Yes, AVKO is the defendant involved.  The documents of the Federal Court are available to the public in the Northern District of Illinois.  Judge Virginia Kendall,

Case No.: 14-1948.  You will find that AVKO sold the copyrights to Wave 3 (receiving a very handsome check....it's all in the paperwork) and then continued to publish nonetheless. Anyone desiring copies of the documents who cannot access the Northern District of Illinois need only ask.  I am happy to provide them.

Strange. I usually buy my teacher guides from Rainbow Resource and I realized the revised is Wave3. But I have some older versions that are AVKO. 

Honestly it's a great program, but I'll honestly say that there's no need for DVDs or student workbooks or iPad apps etc.

That just muddles the simplicity of AVKO's program. I've actually decided to stop using the student guide and continue buying the old student response book as long as RR carries it.

(Is there some sort of Google alert that this company has, so a rep from the company can respond on this forum that quickly? I find that a bit much. )

• Like 2

Good morning, Queen.

RR will have the Student Response Books you prefer as long as they care to continue selling them.  We have 1000s in stock and plan to continue supplying them indefinitely.

Best regards,

Thomas Morrow

PS I get the emails like everybody else.

I don't get the emails. Guess I'm doing it wrong. ;)

:lol: I think Mr. Morrow just means he checked off the box to "follow this topic" so he gets an email notification when there's a response to the thread.  

Unless you mean something with the app, in which case, just ignore me.

We tried the app with no luck, but apparently there have been updates.  I might try again.  But we're happy using the books, so maybe I shouldn't rock the boat?  

Anyone else using the app here?  Any thoughts on how kids like it vs. the book?  I like the simplicity of the program, and am hesitant to change.

• 1 month later...

My DD likes the iPad app most of the time.  There are some sentences that are VERY hard to understand.

For example, about, In boxing a bout should last about 3 rounds.  

I get their trying to be clever but, with the computer voice that's just confusing.  Then add in sentences about society becoming to PC.  It would be really nice if spelling could just be straightforward.  They need to drop the witty commentary.

Thank you so much for the comments!  It's funny.....the only sentences people say they don't like are our "tribute" sentences....sentences contributed by the original author of the paper curriculum that we used as a tribute to him....we will change most if not all of them in V3.

Thomas Morrow

Wave 3

• 2 years later...