Menu

I created a Rep FAQ for anyone interested!

Since so many people have had so many questions about the Rep system, I tried to group them all together in one document and answer them to the best of my ability.

Rep FAQ

The FAQ is also linked in my signature for the time being.

If you have more questions that you think I should add, please pm me or reply to this thread and I will work to get them included.

If any of the answers are not clear enough, please also pm me or reply to this thread and I will try to explain it better.

If your experience does not click with the answers I have included, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Hope this is helpful! :D

Since so many people have had so many questions about the Rep system, I tried to group them all together in one document and answer them to the best of my ability.

Rep FAQ

The FAQ is also linked in my signature for the time being.

If you have more questions that you think I should add, please pm me or reply to this thread and I will work to get them included.

If any of the answers are not clear enough, please also pm me or reply to this thread and I will try to explain it better.

If your experience does not click with the answers I have included, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Hope this is helpful! :D

Here is the content of the FAQ. In the html format, the questions are listed at the top and hyperlinked to their answer, but at least this gives you the information. :)

What is rep and how do I give it?

Rep is a little way to show someone you like them, or what they said, or how they said it. To rep someone click on the scales in the upper right corner of their post. Choose “I Approve†(because no one likes negative rep!) and then leave a nice comment, and make sure you sign your name; otherwise the rep will be anonymous.

How do I know if I have received any rep?

On the upper left side of the forum page is an option to click User Control Panel (CP). Click that, and if you have received any rep there will be a box that will show you the last five posts that were repped, as well as any comments left by the repper.

How do I find out how many rep points I have?

In the box on the User CP where you view your rep, there will be a total in the upper right corner. Everyone starts with 10 points when they register. You can also find out how many rep points you have by clicking the scales in the upper right corner of one of your own posts.

Is there any way to see rep comments that are older than the last five showing on my User CP?

If you have an idea of what post might have earned you the rep, you can go to your post and click your own scales. If you have received rep for that post, all of it will show.

How many points do I give when I rep someone?

You must have 50 posts an 10 re points to be worth 1 point. Otherwise, you will be able to leave a comment, which is wonderful to receive, but it won’t add to that person’s rep count.

What can I do to become worth more rep points?

Every 100 rep points you receive from others will add a green square to your profile. (Everyone starts with one.) Each square is worth 1 rep point in your value. So if you have three squares, they are worth 3 points.

Every thousand posts you make will earn you another point in value. You don’t get another green square for it, however.

Every year that you have been registered on these boards you will earn 1 additional rep point.

Can I lose rep points?

If someone leaves you negative rep, your total count will be reduced by the number of points that person is worth. If an entire thread is deleted, you will lose all points for rep received on posts in that thread. If you, however, have an individual post deleted, any rep comments received for that post prior to deletion will no longer show on your User CP but you will still keep the value of those reps.

How can I figure out how many rep points someone is worth?

Add the number of their squares to how many thousands of posts they have. Example:

4 green squares and over 3000 posts is worth 7 points. (4+3=7 See how easy this is?)

How many people can I rep per day?

You can rep 6 people per 24-hour period.

When can I rep again? It says I’m out for 24 hours.

Actually, it says you have used all the rep that you can in the last 24 hours, not that you have to wait 24 hours. You can only rep 6 people in any 24-hour period. For example, if you do this:

10:00 rep Mindy

11:00 rep hsmom

12:00 rep Gretchen

1:00 rep Lolly

2:00 rep Tracy

3:00 rep rockermom

Now you’re out of rep. But you don't have to wait until 3:00 tomorrow, just until 10:01, because at that point you will have only repped 5 people in the previous 24 hour period.

It says I have to spread some reputation. How long before I can re-rep someone?

According to my extensive research and nerdy calculations, you must rep 30 other people before you can re-rep someone. So if you give out all 6 of your reps each day, you will be able to re-rep someone in 5 days. If you don’t use all 6 of your reps each day, it will obviously take longer.

This is so confusing. How do I keep track of it all?

I thought the same thing, so I started jotting down in a notebook the date, time, and name of the poster when I give rep. Though this may seem a tad over the top, for me (and a few of my apprentices) it is worth the aggravation saved when you can’t remember when you last repped someone, or when you’ll be able to rep again. You can also jot down names of people you want to make sure to rep once you are able to again.

I finally got it open...had to go choose program, choose firefox, wait for firefox to open an E-tab (explorer routed through firefox).

Sorry for the hassle! Does it show up right? When I viewed it in Firefox, there were unnecessary symbols inserted. :glare: