Menu

Should I use a screen protector for an iPad?

I am on my second iPad (we upgraded). I have 3 kids and no screen protector. I have never seen a scratch and the kids are not always as gentle as they should be. I do have a magnetic cover for when it's not in use. I would get AppleCare though. Then you can get it replaced if you have a scratch (or water damage or whatever).

I like my touchscreens naked. I tried a number of screen protest with my first smartphone and all but the Steinheil made me feel ill touching them (yeah, I'm weird), but even it felt wrong.

Gorilla Glass is tough stuff. I'd invest in a good case with a hard cover and protection around every edge instead.

I have a screen protector, but I also had a 58Lb bassett hound when I first got it, and she would jump on the couch where my iPad sat when I had to run to ge the phone or something. She did step obit a few times, and the screen protector did not even scratch. I have no idea if the screen protector worked or if it would have been fine without one. The SP does not change my user experience.

I am on my second iPad (we upgraded). I have 3 kids and no screen protector. I have never seen a scratch and the kids are not always as gentle as they should be. I do have a magnetic cover for when it's not in use. I would get AppleCare though. Then you can get it replaced if you have a scratch (or water damage or whatever).

Didn't get Apple Care.... oops.

I like my touchscreens naked. I tried a number of screen protest with my first smartphone and all but the Steinheil made me feel ill touching them (yeah, I'm weird), but even it felt wrong.

Gorilla Glass is tough stuff. I'd invest in a good case with a hard cover and protection around every edge instead.

That's what the guy in the store said. I forgot about gorilla glass. I was thinking of kids ds-lites, which get scratchy. I got an Apple case.

I have mine in a case and still have the plastic on it that it came with. I just cut holes around the power cord slot, the camera, and the volume stuff.

I got a new iPhone last month and don't have a screen protector on it and it's already scratched.

I have a screen protector on my iPhone. Wow, three different opinions. Now I am scared to open the box.

I am still reading this, so the more opinions the better.

My iPad has had heavy (heavy) use for the last year----- taken to California on vacation, used to play a video advertising Science Olympiad at a homeschool club night, borrowed by the kids, used outside while doing science, etc. The screen doesn't have a single scratch :D

I use one of those magnetic smart cover thingies.

I've had mine about a year and a half. I've probably dropped it 5-6 times. No scratches. No screen protector. It's covered when not in use and when I'm using it, my fingers don't scratch it. In fact, I'm wondering HOW people are using it that they even need a screen protector.

I screen protect everything and decide to get accustomed to the feel rather than risk my expensive phone and Pad. :) I would be driven crazy worse by a scratch than the difference between glass and protector.

I could have written this. I have been googling iPad screen protectors. I'll get the iPad out of the box tomorrow -- I am not good at decisions when tired. I wish they would just sell these things in the store & install them -- that's the way my iPhone got set up....

I can't STAND screen protectors. I really tried to be ok with them on my Ipad and my Droid but I just HATE them!!!

My phone is 1.5 years old, Ipad 8 months old. No scratches. A scratch wouldn't be as bad as a screen protector.

FWIW, i throw my Ipad into my purse regularly. It has a screen protector. It is fine. I don't have dirty purses.:tongue_smilie:

I screen protect everything and decide to get accustomed to the feel rather than risk my expensive phone and Pad. :) I would be driven crazy worse by a scratch than the difference between glass and protector.

:iagree:, this is my personal feeling, especially since our iPad is mainly for the kids, so I want it protected. If there was a way to put it in a titanium cover with a see through cover I would so do that as well. Then again my kids are not gentle with anything.

I have a screen protector on my phone because it goes in my purse without a cover.

My ipad though has no screen protector, and a cover that folds over it when it isn't in use, or for travel. I think that is enough. We bought our ipad directly from Apple. We went to Best Buy to look for a cover, assuming we'd get something like OtterBox. The clerk said the ipads were vey durable and had survived falls on the tile floor. He said a screen protector would make the retina display worthless. We had purchased the plan that lets us replace the ipad for $99, so we figured it was a safe bet. Ours has been fine, but it isn't very old.

An update. I couldn't decide which screen protector. And what a good tip about Best Buy! But we are using it without one. I am insisting that the kids wash their hands with soap and water before using. I got some screen wipes & will get gel and a microfiber cloth.

Yesterday, we played some games -- don't really care about resolution. Then I stayed up to watch a Netflix movie -- it was gorgeous, and I would not want a screen protector covering that.

I read in my iPad book that you can get the protection plan up to 30 days after purchase. I think I will bite the bullet and get it, especially since we have the 64G model (as advised by the Hive). Otherwise I will be a nervous wreck....

Thank you for all the excellent advice -- it really helped me think this through.