Menu

How do you know you are a Home School Mom?

When your Placostimus dies and you want to take him out and use him for dissection.......:lol:

Our Placo is about 6" long. He was either murdered by the Oscar or he just died. My vote is on the Oscar murdering him.........

I want to take him with me to another homeschool mom's house tomorrow and dissect him.

My kids think this is weird. They say there is something wrong with dissecting a former pet.

What would you do.....my kids are 14,12 and 11. I am waiting for the other mom to let me know if she thinks her kids could handle the fish dissection.

It's not like my friend who dissected the "roadkill rabbit" they found.....:D

My kids are afraid y'all will say dissect the fish......I told them we would post it here and see what the general opinion would be.....

Please, please vote for dissecting........:D

Edited to Add....we won't be dissecting him.....One thing I do is respect my kids feelings on this.....and other things they might not be comfortable with....

Only thing is...the boys want to bury him in thr back yard and my daughter wants him buried in some one else back yard....She doesn't care who's back yard....as long as it isn't our.......:-)

My kids are afraid y'all will say dissect the fish......I told them we would post it here and see what the general opinion would be.....

Sorry, Mom! Here's one "no" vote! :D

We have the dissection kit with the fetal pig -- and my son still hasn't been able to do it because it "has a face." I think it would only be worse if it was a face he'd grown to know and love, even if it was a fish.

If you want to dissect a fish, go fishing and catch one that wasn't a member of the family. :lol:

I wouldn't make them dissect it if they were really disturbed by the concept. But it doesn't sound like they are disturbed, just lightly poking fun at you, and think it's weird. I think it sounds like a great idea! Dissect away!

And morally, I think it's preferable to dissect something that has died naturally, than to kill something specifically to dissect it.

Dissection! Go for it! That is what homeschooling is all about. It would be very wasteful to throw it away.

** the only exception would be if some had an emotional connection to it, then a formal burial with lots of chocolate (or cookies or ice cream) is in order**

I tried to convince them we needed to do an autopsy to see how the Oscar killed the placo but they are not buying it......

I won't make them do something they don't want to do since it was a pet....but I really thought it would be cool.

I just never thought they would be that connected to the bottom sucking, tank cleaning fish......

I wouldn't make them dissect it if they were really disturbed by the concept. But it doesn't sound like they are disturbed, just lightly poking fun at you, and think it's weird. I think it sounds like a great idea! Dissect away!

And morally, I think it's preferable to dissect something that has died naturally, than to kill something specifically to dissect it.

I know her kids and I know this particular fish...they wouldn't be disturbed.

When your Placostimus dies and you want to take him out and use him for dissection.......:lol:

Our Placo is about 6" long. He was either murdered by the Oscar or he just died.

You have proven yourself a proud HS mom by the very fact that you know the names of your fish (Placostimus & Oscar) instead of just saying, "One of our fish killed another, and I think it might be neat to see what he looks like inside."

I love it! I'm surprised you had a Placo in with an Oscar (they tend to be real mean). I say, put him on ice and let the kids think about it awhile. If they are still dead set against it, then I don't think it would be worth the look see. Who knows, maybe with time they will want to look too.

You have proven yourself a proud HS mom by the very fact that you know the names of your fish (Placostimus & Oscar) instead of just saying, "One of our fish killed another, and I think it might be neat to see what he looks like inside."

I love it! I'm surprised you had a Placo in with an Oscar (they tend to be real mean). I say, put him on ice and let the kids think about it awhile. If they are still dead set against it, then I don't think it would be worth the look see. Who knows, maybe with time they will want to look too.

Thanks everyone and thanks Momma duck and Jenny....:lol:

I wouldn't make the kids dissect one of the "family" pets. We were actually sitting here joking about dissecting the fish. They were serious but laughing at how weird their "Mother" is.......

Our neighbor sold us his 55 gallon fish tank and threw in the Oscar who was named "Casper" by the neighbor's son. The placo was really quite small. They got along well until Oscar started growing. We noticed he was picking on the placo periodically.

We may take Oscar and sell him to the local pet store....I would like some different fish and one that isn't so aggressive.

My husband tells all of the kids that come over that Oscar is an albino piranha......He is trained. He will come to the top of the tank and eat out of your hand....

Here is a picture of the murder suspect.....http://gsmp.wordpress.com/2007/11/17/updated-pictures/

I would have to hunt one down of the deceased.......

Our Placo is about 6" long. He was either murdered by the Oscar or he just died. My vote is on the Oscar murdering him.........

I want to take him with me to another homeschool mom's house tomorrow and dissect him.

My kids think this is weird. They say there is something wrong with dissecting a former pet.

What would you do.....my kids are 14,12 and 11. I am waiting for the other mom to let me know if she thinks her kids could handle the fish dissection.

It's not like my friend who dissected the "roadkill rabbit" they found.....:D

I'm all about finding dead creatures and checking them out, but I'm out on doing a "family member!" My dc would be broken hearted to watch that, even my ds13. Yes, it would be very interesting, but it may cause some hurt that you can't take back later.

My husband checked out the placo.....He was murdered by the albino oscar...the brute.

He will be given a proper funeral. We just have to agree on the burial site....

Ummm....never mind ...hubby took care of that.:glare:

:lol:Not only are you a homeschooler, you're a homeschooler who practices democracy!

I know that I'm a homeschooler because my dc never leave.:001_huh:

I think you should hold a trial, and if the Oscar is found guilty you should execute him by dissection.

I had an Oscar once, my favorite fish ever!

You can have mine if you would like.....:lol: He's about 8.5" from fin to mouth and about 5" wide. He's a big boy....He loves to rearrange his home. He will eat from your fingers......:D

Funny, in my house it was my kids begging to dissect the deceased pet fish...and I that couldn't handle it!

I'm the risk taker.....My kids think I'm weird...but cool as far as mom's go...:lol:

:lol:Not only are you a homeschooler, you're a homeschooler who practices democracy!

I know that I'm a homeschooler because my dc never leave.:001_huh:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....The funny thing is that I have other home school friends I met on another forum. We have spent vacations at each others houses. The kids were guessing who would agree to dissect and who wouldn't.....

I lost......;)