Menu

Help! My cat has ticks! :(

Weasley (a nod to Harry Potter's red-headed friends because, as EK says, "he's a ginger and he's trouble, but you gotta love him;)) is 5 months old, and so far, he has been an indoor/ourdoor cat, always with the plan of having him become an outside cat when he is older--like now. We live in a rural area, our house is well away from any thoroughfares, and Weasley LOVES to play outside. But we bring him in to eat and sleep, and also when it's HOT outside. Our home is in a heavily wooded area and we use Frontline Plus to prevent fleas and ticks.

Weasley's last application of Frontline was 3 weeks ago, and there are no longer any fleas on him, but this week we started finding teeny, tiny "seed" ticks on him, mainly on his head near his ears and eyes. He will come inside and there will be a dozen on him! Some appear to be dead, but some are not. This is so, so gross to me, and I can NOT have him in my house when there are ticks on him, whether it's hot or rainy or cold or whatever!

Soooo.... should we put a flea & tick collar on him? If so, which one? Should we get some kind of flea powder? If so, which one?

A flea and tick collar wont do do anything except whats right on his neck. I wouldnt apply more drops as thats too soon from 3wks ago. You could do powder or even a flea dip- if hell tolerate it.

He will keep getting the fleas and ticks unless you can treat outside. Its also possible you may have some inside and when he does come in, hes catching them that way. Id treat inside as well.

I know for dogs, Diatamaceaous Earth (sp may be off) (NOT the pool kind) is great for fleas and ticks and its safe to use inside and out. Also Brewers Yeast and garlic is great for fleas and ticks as well as Apple Cider Vinegar. I dont know if theyll work on Cats?