Menu

Dh likes rice pudding for dessert. I've never made it. Recipes please!

This is what I do:

Cook 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water, the usual way.

When the rice is done, fluff, then add: just enough milk to cover, 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey (more to taste if desired, but we like it just lightly sweet), a few dashes of salt, a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a handful of raisins. Simmer on med-low, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and serve warm.

Here are some non-American versions:

Tibetan Rice Pudding (from Beyond the Great Wall)

3 c water

1 c broken rice

pinch of salt

3 c milk (or a combination of milk and coconut milk)

1/2 c dried apples, chopped (these are good, but optional)

3 T honey (or more, to taste, especially if you didn't add the apples apples)

2 T butter (optional, I don't add it)

Boil the water, rinse the rice, and add the rice to the water. Lower the heat and cook, covered for about 15 minutes till most of the water is absorbed and the rice is soft. Add the salt, milk, and apples, then bring back to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer, covered, for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every so often. After 30 minutes, add the honey. The pudding will be very thick. It's really good with salted pistachios.

Black Sticky Rice Pudding (from Hot Sour Salty Sweet)

Bring 3 cups of water and 2 cups of black sticky rice to a boil, let it boil for a couple minutes (make sure to stir!), then cover and reduce the heat to medium or medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, then turn the heat to the lowest setting and cook, still covered, for another 30 minutes till the rice is done. Just before it's finished, combine 2 cups of coconut milk with 1/2 tsp salt and 3/4 c brown sugar in a pot. Stir to help the sugar dissolve, then bring just to a boil. Pour the sweetened milk into the rice when the rice is cooked. It's lovely served with mango.

Our Spanish exchange student just made a yummy version for us - I think it went something like this.

~ 1/2 gal. milk

~ 2 c. rice

sugar (I have no idea how much, so to taste)

grated peel of 1 lemon

cinnamon sticks.

I think she put everything in a pot and simmered it for a very long time...

Nonono. You must make Italian Rice Pudding- budino di riso

It's light and slightly sweet with lots of pudding-as opposed to a baked rice with sugar type.

1 c aborio rice

2 qt plus 1 cup of milk

1 cup of sugar

4 tbsp corn starch

4 egg yolks

1 tbsp vanilla

gr cinnamon to dust

cook rice al dente

dissolve cornstarch in 1 c milk--no lumps!

in another bowl, beat yolks and sugar until it forms pale ribbons. Your arm will get a workout. It will look like the color of pastured butter, and fall in ribbons from the whisk--this step is important.

whisk in vanilla and cornstarch mixture

scald milk, add rice, and temper in the yolk mixture. Cook until it coats the back of a spoon.

chill, and dust with cinnamon to serve.

Sometimes I like to add grated lemon in, or citron, or sultanas

this also makes amazing ice cream, just toss it in the ice cream maker.

Edited by justamouse