Menu

Singapore Math 2A and Manipulatives

TheBugs

Hello,

We started Singapore Math 2A (Primary, US edition) this week. Previously we had used the texts for 1A and 1B and supplemented with C-Rods and some other workbooks.

Can anyone advise me on what else I might want to use? I have the home instructors guide, the text and workbook, plus an extra workbook published by Frank Schaffer, just because my twins seem to love workbooks.

Since I have C-Rods do you think there would be any benefit to using base ten blocks? I am curious if there are other useful manipulatives that I could purchase or make that would help round out this curriculum?

Thanks, I appreciated any information or advise on getting the most out of Singaopore Math. So far the kids think math is the most fun subject, and I am happy about that. :001_smile:

I think manipulatives are important to solidifying the concepts, but I don't think you have to spend lots of money to buy them. Rather than buying math manipulatives, I see what we have around the house or what I can make. Here are the items I remember using last year when my son was in 2A and B:

• Legos (for base 10 blocks, C-rods, and anything else we needed them for)
  • printed out number disks (I just made them in a table in Word and cut them apart)
  • Monopoly money
  • A clock with hands that he could turn (from off the wall in the house)
  • different measuring cups
  • measuring tape, ruler, yard stick, a stick from the yard that we cut to a meter long
  • dice
  • a hundred chart, printed from the Internet

I hadn't thought of Legos! but that would be great. I was wondering about the number discs and didn't think to print them out, which would work just fine. Thanks for the ideas :)

I agree that manipulatives are important for concepts and make math more fun. Last year we played shopping a lot, where we would label toys and take it in turn being the cashier and making change.