Menu

Ambleside Online users: I have questions for you

I sub out the history for SOTW and we use a variety of things for science.

Start with year 1. Use the literature as bedtime stories this year if you want to start Year 2 next year. There is a progression in the complexity of the literature.

Ease slowly into it. Don't try to do it ALL starting in week 1 of next year's school.

Stick with things you already use and love.

I sub out the history for SOTW and we use a variety of things for science.

Start with year 1. Use the literature as bedtime stories this year if you want to start Year 2 next year. There is a progression in the complexity of the literature.

Ease slowly into it. Don't try to do it ALL starting in week 1 of next year's school.

Stick with things you already use and love.

I agree, we also do our own history and science, but read a lot of the history and science book as well. We use it as our literature, etc...

We are starting year 3, definitely gets much harder as you go. I'm still reading them all out loud.

I am considering making the change to AO. Can you tell me what a day or week in your school is like? What grades/years you are using?

Anything else you want to tell me! I am looking into year 2 for ds's and year 4 for dd 5th (next year they will be in 2nd, 3rd and 6th when we do the change)

You might want to ask this question on the Simply Charlotte Mason forum board too. There are a lot of ladies over there who use Ambleside.

We're using Year 4 for ds (6th grade) this year.

Our daily schedule looks something like this:

CNN Student News

Saxon Math 76

2-3 scheduled AO readings w/oral or written narrations (not in a row)

Add to history timeline

Narnia readaloud

Wordly Wise 6 (Mondays and Tuesdays)

Poetry (Mondays and Thursdays)

Artistic Pursuits JH Book 1 (Mondays and Wednesdays)

Spanish (Tuesdays and Wednesdays)

Simply Grammar (Wednesdays and Thursdays)

Nature Study (Tuesdays)

Science Experiments (Thursdays)

Music from current composer will play during seatwork and works by current artist will be up on the wall for all 12 weeks. Facts about them, the current poet, and the history timeline will also be up on the wall. We use AO secularly, so we removed all the obvious religious books. We will also incorporate art projects, crafts, mapwork, US government study, youth choir, basketball, and CCD.

Fridays are set aside for field trips. Before we go, we'll prepare by reading about the place we're going or the subject matter. When we get home, W will write a journal entry (blog post) about the day. If we end up not going or nothing is scheduled for that day, then we'll pick just 2 or 3 things from the regular daily lineup.

Ds has dyslexia so I still read most things to him, we also do a dyslexia program daily. We have scaled back on the copywork, having increased writing in other ways. We start around 10am and finish around 1pm with 1 short stretching/snack break. Lessons are short (10-30 minutes each) and afternoons are free.

I would also suggest starting the youngers in Year 1 and the older child in Year 3 or 3.5. They say Year 4 is a big leap in difficulty form Year 3. Since you've never done AO before, you and your child may burn out with the higher level. Read as much as you can on the AO website and join the AO yahoo group. Most people wonder what the best levels are to start with and these sites have lots of discussion on that. Good luck and have fun with it!

We're using Year 4 for ds (6th grade) this year.

Our daily schedule looks something like this:

CNN Student News

Saxon Math 76

2-3 scheduled AO readings w/oral or written narrations (not in a row)

Add to history timeline

Narnia readaloud

Wordly Wise 6 (Mondays and Tuesdays)

Poetry (Mondays and Thursdays)

Artistic Pursuits JH Book 1 (Mondays and Wednesdays)

Spanish (Tuesdays and Wednesdays)

Simply Grammar (Wednesdays and Thursdays)

Nature Study (Tuesdays)

Science Experiments (Thursdays)

Music from current composer will play during seatwork and works by current artist will be up on the wall for all 12 weeks. Facts about them, the current poet, and the history timeline will also be up on the wall. We use AO secularly, so we removed all the obvious religious books. We will also incorporate art projects, crafts, mapwork, US government study, youth choir, basketball, and CCD.

Fridays are set aside for field trips. Before we go, we'll prepare by reading about the place we're going or the subject matter. When we get home, W will write a journal entry (blog post) about the day. If we end up not going or nothing is scheduled for that day, then we'll pick just 2 or 3 things from the regular daily lineup.

Ds has dyslexia so I still read most things to him, we also do a dyslexia program daily. We have scaled back on the copywork, having increased writing in other ways. We start around 10am and finish around 1pm with 1 short stretching/snack break. Lessons are short (10-30 minutes each) and afternoons are free.

I would also suggest starting the youngers in Year 1 and the older child in Year 3 or 3.5. They say Year 4 is a big leap in difficulty form Year 3. Since you've never done AO before, you and your child may burn out with the higher level. Read as much as you can on the AO website and join the AO yahoo group. Most people wonder what the best levels are to start with and these sites have lots of discussion on that. Good luck and have fun with it!

Oh I may have a bunch more questions for you (after I have time to really look at your schedule and think this through!) Is that ok?!

When we are ready to start our day....

Sitting in the Living Room:

Poetry

Our current Read Aloud

Shakespeare

Move to Table for:

Latin

Health

Composer/Artist Study

Folksongs/Hymns

Nature Study (sometimes)

Drawing

Science Lab... Physics Lab in the Supermarket, etc.

Each kid in their own "spot":

Saxon Math

Reading...History/Georgraphy/etc....

Spelling Wisdom for copywork

English for the thoughtful child -or- Simply Grammar (depending on the child)

Mapwork in the hall with the large wall maps and me...

Timeline Book

I think that is most of it....we are also going to start practicing writing letters (form, etiquette, handwriting, etc).

Not everything is done each day...but you get the general idea. I am pamark1 over at the AO forums. See ya there! :001_smile: