Menu

Dr. Hive: Is this an allergic reaction?

I posted about this in the "how often to wash bedding" thread, but I doubt it will be seen. I'm curious as to what type of reaction I could be having and was hoping a little sage wisdom from you guys might bring about the answer. Every couple to a few weeks I wake up in the middle of the night with one eye red, swollen and watery and the nostril on the same side stuffy, runny and itchy. It's always the side that is smooshed into my pillow. I usually get up, wash my face and stay up for a bit and it subsides. Is this typical of a dust mite/dust allergy or could my lotion be getting into my eyes at night...not sure what this could be....? Thanks for help.

Huh. I'm going to bump this. My son has issues in both nostrils and eyes with his dust mite/other allergies. I can have eye issues, both from outdoor stuff if it's particularly heavy and from reactions to shampoo if I'm not careful, and it's always both eyes and my nose. So your description doesn't fit my experience with allergies.

That doesn't mean it's not that however, based on what you wrote, I'm wondering about sinus issues. I think that can occur on one side. It can be allergy related too--it is in my mother in law. We don't have sinus here so I'm not an expert on it so I could be off. Hopefully you'll get other replies and someone will know just what it probably is.

Whenever I'm stuffed up, everything flows to the side that's smooshed into the pillow since it's the lowest point of my head.

Which isn't to say it's not your pillow. But the proximity of the pillow to that side might not be the reason that side is more swollen -- it's likely more swollen because that side is lower.

I don't know....but if I wear any facial lotion or eye cream and don't apply make up, both of my eyes will get very watery, burn, and I get sniffles.

I do buy allergy pillows and had to quit using anti wrinkle cream. On occassion, I wear tinted moisturizer and just keep it far from my eyes.:grouphug:

Whenever I'm stuffed up, everything flows to the side that's smooshed into the pillow since it's the lowest point of my head.

:iagree:

When I roll over, everything drains to the other side. :ack2:

ETA: I have severe dust allergies. It affects my whole respiratory system, not just one side.