Menu

We should find out where we're moving today!

This may be old hat for all you long time military moms - but I'm so excited I don't know how I'll get work done today. DH meets with his branch manager at 2. Everything on the list was really good, so I'm pretty certain we're going to be happy - I just can't wait to find out WHERE!!!!

Do you get used to this? I want to be cool and collected, but I am just about vibrating I'm so excited! :D

In 17 years I've never gotten used to the nerve wracking period before we find out where we will be PCSing. It makes me crazy because I want to know NOW!

When James Bond comes back from this deployment sometime next year, we will be PCSing as they are standing down his unit. We had better go somewhere good!

What are your options?

There are a few in Germany, one Maryland, one in CO. It was a really short list of choices but there are only ~15 people in his class. Three more hours til his meeting..... ARGHHH!

Unfortunately the kids are old enough to be as excited as I am, so school is getting a short shrift today.

Those are probably all decent choices. We *loved* Germany, and Colorado is a great place! And no, you never get used to the stress and drama of possible PCS orders, lol!! The only caveat? Never become "married" to the idea of a place until your stuff is on the truck and you are on the plane. :grouphug:

DH is just starting to work his next assignment. But, I don't think we'll really know anything until February.

I'm glad to know my reaction isn't too strange. We had orders for Germany in the spring but dh got picked up for a branch change so it changed. I'll be alright after I know - its just the waiting that's making me crazy. He should be in his meeting now. I hope they don't sit and chat too long!

Those are probably all decent choices. We *loved* Germany, and Colorado is a great place! And no, you never get used to the stress and drama of possible PCS orders, lol!! The only caveat? Never become "married" to the idea of a place until your stuff is on the truck and you are on the plane. :grouphug:

DH is just starting to work his next assignment. But, I don't think we'll really know anything until February.

I would actually change that to on the plane (if going overseas), or actually signed into your new stateside assignment! We have known of two different couples who were traveling to their new stateside assignment when a call came telling them to report to a totally different location.

I love finding out where we're moving next. I love all the planning and checking out the new places. We were waiting last summer where we were going to move. We were under the impression that it was either going to be D.C. or Arizona. When they said Miami, we were like, what?... It's like riding a roller coaster. Enjoy!

Well....someone please tell me something good about Ft. Bliss?!?

Nope, not even in the top 10 or even top 30 of desired jobs or locations. In fact, the location I have dreaded more than just about anywhere.

Oh well, at least the homeschool laws are fantastic.

I'll be praying for one of those last minute changes.....

Oh dear...well, I will tell you THIS. Fort Irwin (National Training Center) was our first duty station. You drive to Barstow, CA, which the only reason it's on a map is that it's the halfway mark between LA and Vegas. You get off the highway in Barstow, drive an hour into the desert and that's where Fort Irwin is. It was the best sort of FIRST duty station because it only gets better from there. You don't want to get spoiled with Germany or Hawaii your first time around. :grouphug:

Nope, not even in the top 10 or even top 30 of desired jobs or locations. In fact, the location I have dreaded more than just about anywhere.

Oh, dear. Bliss? We've not been (EFMP keeps me out of Texas and I'm not sad about it), but I know many people who have. Well, I guess you'll really be TXMom again, right?

Sooo.... back to Texas??? What a whirlwind! lol

I don't know anything about Ft Bliss, but judging by your reaction, it doesn't sound good. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Y'all aren't making me feel any better at all.

I thought Ft. Riley was in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, looking on the bright side - it will only be about 8 hours to see my family instead of a 3 day drive. Our cabin in NM is only about 6 hours. Of course, on the flip side, dh's family will only be 2 hours away. Cr*p.

I grew up in W. Texas. I know the heat, wind, more wind, and then the wind makes me psycho. That's the excuse I have used for a whole host of bad behavior as a teen. I'm not seeing jaunts into Mexico as something very likely either - that is a place that scares the cr*p out of me.

Guess I'll go change the kids elective to Spanish instead of German. Cr*p.

I'm sorry you didn't get a place you wanted. With a name like Ft. "Bliss" I never would have guessed it was such an unhappy place to go. :lol: I don't know how the military works. How did you end up somewhere not on the list of potential places. Maybe it was best you didn't see it coming. At least you got to be happy right up until the end, instead of worrying. :grouphug:

Heck, I never get "married" to the place until my stuff is being unloaded from the truck at said place. I've actually had things change while the stuff was on the truck moving from one coast to the other.

I don't know how the military works. How did you end up somewhere not on the list of potential places.

This happens because although you can put in a wishlist of where you'd like to go or jobs you'd like to do, in the end it all comes down to where they need someone to replace someone else that's got to go replace someone else and so on. Sometimes you're lucky and get something in your top 3, other times it's not even a place you ever gave any thought.

Oh, I am a Texan. A very proud Texan. There are just parts of TX that I think could have been left in the possession of Mexico! LOL

:lol: I see. I heard someone talking about ElPaso yesterday. I think she'd agree with you. ;)

This happens because although you can put in a wishlist of where you'd like to go or jobs you'd like to do, in the end it all comes down to where they need someone to replace someone else that's got to go replace someone else and so on. Sometimes you're lucky and get something in your top 3, other times it's not even a place you ever gave any thought.

Ok. I thought the list the OP referred to was a list of potential places they had given her, not one she and her dh had given the Army.

Oh, I am a Texan. A very proud Texan. There are just parts of TX that I think could have been left in the possession of Mexico! LOL

:iagree:

Houston is another one of those for me.

Anyways, I have a friend at Ft Bliss and while I am not sure she loves it, she has found some friends there and seems to be OK with it.

I'm sorry you didn't get a place you wanted. With a name like Ft. "Bliss" I never would have guessed it was such an unhappy place to go. :lol: I don't know how the military works. How did you end up somewhere not on the list of potential places. Maybe it was best you didn't see it coming. At least you got to be happy right up until the end, instead of worrying. :grouphug:

A lot of it depends upon your branch. Sounds like the OP's dh is Armor? That limits you to where you can go. Most of your duty stations (even the one in Germany) are in the middle of nowhere because they need a lot of space to train tankers. My dh is in logistics, they can go anywhere. This can be good or bad, lol. And I think she was mentioning just some of the potential places, not all of them.

This is true too. Good of the military always takes precedence. ALWAYS.

Dh actually is changing from signal to FA53. So we could go just about anywhere. Every brigade needs a 53. I'm not even sure which unit he's been assigned to so I don't know if he's going to be deploying or not. I imagine he will - he's got 34 mo. dwell time.

We did get a list to choose from - but our wish list is just that. Wishes.

ETA: Another bright side - I will finally get some GOOD MEXICAN FOOD!!!!! Hallelujah!

Edited by TXMomof4

Dh actually is changing from signal to FA53. So we could go just about anywhere. Every brigade needs a 53. I'm not even sure which unit he's been assigned to so I don't know if he's going to be deploying or not. I imagine he will - he's got 34 mo. dwell time.

We did get a list to choose from - but our wish list is just that. Wishes.

ETA: Another bright side - I will finally get some GOOD MEXICAN FOOD!!!!! Hallelujah!

FA53? Is that IS mgmt? Man, his choice of bases should be wide open. James Bond's MOS (350G) has choices limited to about 18 posts world wide. It used to be limited to about 10, so 18 is a luxury! He'll be putting in his wish list soon and we're really, really hoping we'll get one of his choices. Since he's coming off a deployment and being involuntarily PCS'd (they are standing down his unit), branch is trying to give everyone one of the choices on their wishlists. We're not due to leave until probably late next summer, and likely won't know until Jan or Feb, but I HATE the waiting. I want to know so I can plan!

The Mexican food is a perk, but not enough for me. You might like Bliss though! I've known 1 or 2 who did. And you're right, the hs laws are fantastic!