Menu

Post FLL 4 Grammar for 5th Grade?

DD, almost 10, will be finishing FLL 4 in the next couple of weeks, and I'm not sure where to go from there. I just listened to SWB's writing lecture and she mentions Rod and Staff and Voyages in English. Any other good choices for a girl who LOVES grammar and could happily diagram sentences for hours? I'd love something more independent, but thorough. Any ideas?

Thanks!

KISS grammar (just google it). We LOVE it. It is incredibly difficult because it uses real sentences from great writers. Plus it is FREE! But be warned the website is very unfortunate. Ed, the author, is an english professor not a web designer! See this thread for help http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=324737&highlight=kiss+grammar

Ruth in NZ

I really like Analytical Grammar for 6-8 grade. It is very thorough and the the second season has complex sentences for diagramming. The 3rd season is very thorough coverage of punctuation, capitalization, comma rules, etc and usage. I also like their High School reinforcement books.

Hake Grammar is another thorough choice. The sentences for diagramming are not as complex as AG.

You could do Hake Grammar 5 and then go to AG. Both of them are mostly independent. With Hake, they read the lessons on their own and do it. With AG, I spent 5-10 minutes going over the new concept with them and then they worked independently the rest of the week.

DD, almost 10, will be finishing FLL 4 in the next couple of weeks, and I'm not sure where to go from there.

Why don't you let her go through what was produced of Advanced Language Lessons and then just use some diagramming workbooks for fun? Then you might consider Analytical Grammar in 6th grade.

Thanks for the replies! I had been looking at Analytical Grammar, and I think it looks great. I'm unsure my 5th grader was quite ready for it. So I think I'll use it starting in 6th and do something else this year. Colleen, I just saw your link about the ALL and thought that looked interesting. Maybe I will go that route.

Any ideas for a good diagramming supplement?

Wait, just saw the suggestion for Hake Grammar. I'll check on that.

Edited by Sara in AZ

Why don't you let her go through what was produced of Advanced Language Lessons and then just use some diagramming workbooks for fun? Then you might consider Analytical Grammar in 6th grade.

Colleen, I just wanted to thank you for the suggestion. I just received the link to ALL and it looks fantastic. I am excited to start!