Menu

When buying used curric., how much of a discount do you expect?

And...what curriculums do you feel hold their values best?

I find that when I am shopping used, I want a pretty deep discount. Why would I buy used VP history cards when for $5 more I can order them new? (Yes, I know...there is the non-monetary value in recycling....)

I also find that I sometimes justify buying curriculum that I may not need, because I think "I can always sell this used." Well, maybe not without a pretty big loss.

So what do you think...is curriculum kind of like a car? It loses half it's value the second you drive it off the lot?

Edited by Shawna in North CA

This is just like asking what the discount should be on a used car.....it depends on the make/model/demand.

For TT, I expect a small discount. It holds its value better. For SL, I expect to pay about 60% of retail if it is in really good condition and a year or two old.

Dawn

Why would I buy used VP history cards when for $5 more I can order them new?
I would buy them for $5 less than new because I like supporting other homeschooling families and $5 savings adds up fast when I am purchasing as much curriculum as I do! Add in shipping costs for new items and the savings may come to more than one would expect.

When I sell items I typically take the regular price/RainbowResource price and cut it in half. Some things I price a bit higher if the resale value is higher.

I don't know, but if I can get it for the same price on Amazon then that's where I'm going. There is always something on my wish list that I can add on for that free shipping, unless what I am buying already meets the minimum $25. Also, during peak selling time, I think sellers should consider also matching RR prices. I know many think that because of shipping costs their product is still cheaper, but more than likely I will be making a big order there and with free shipping too.

Danielle

Also depends where you are selling it.

I find stuff used in Canada can be very close to new. This is because the person doesn't have to pay for shipping to Canada from the USA.

For example, LOF can be bought new and shipped for free in the USA. In Canada, I think the lowest price new, is 2 dollars more then new in the USA, and you then have to pay for shipping.

I want a good discount. But I think $5 discount is good, as long as the book is in great condition. If it is in bad shape, I won't buy it unless it is super super cheap. I have bought some used text books for $1 or $2 that aren't in great shape, but I can't pass up the price. But $5 off and no shipping (i am thinking of local used shops) is good for me.

I find that when I am shopping used, I want a pretty deep discount. Why would I buy used VP history cards when for $5 more I can order them new? (Yes, I know...there is the non-monetary value in recycling....)

For me, it's not just the price either, it's the work of purchasing something through an individual seller. Email someone back and forth to see if something's available, arrange payment, send payment, keep track of when it's supposed to arrive, if it doesn't arrive, email again, hope that they packaged it sturdily and securely, that it's the condition they described, etc.

With Rainbow, I'm still supporting homeschool. Amazon, no, but by reducing my own hassle and stress, the homeschool family I'm supporting is me. :001_smile:

Erica in OR

For me it depends on how badly I want it and when I need it. I'm a discount shopper for the most part and $5 off wouldn't really sway me unless it was a $10 item. But if I really want the item, I know I'm going to buy it anyways and need it now instead of waiting to see if I can find it cheaper, I'm happy to buy from someone else for a little less than new.

I expect a pretty steep discount. If it can't be done I understand, but I'm not biting. If I can buy it for dollars more, new, or even just from a reputable site, I'm going to go with that over an independent seller.

I've noticed some sellers selling used at a discount based on what THEY paid, even when you mention that Amazon or another retailer has it new, for less money. While I understand the desire to recoup costs, it isn't going to be done that way.

With that said, I started to buy new almost exclusively. It holds the value better and what I don't resell I can re-use later, with other children, and the books are in better condition having only been through one child.

ETA: The curricula I've noticed best holding value is anything from MCT, Peace Hill Press, Human Odyssey, Teaching Textbooks, and anything recommended in WTM. At least on this site and e-bay. The history texts from Catholic Textbook Project also seem to hold their value very well Cathswap.

Edited by AimeeM

For something used but in very good condition- no writing, highlighting, complete- about 50%. For something absolutely unused- such good condition it could be returned as new- 25% off.

Workbooks that have been written in, even if erased, should be FREE!

I can't pay people to take my Saxon math & stray Abeka stuff.

This is just like asking what the discount should be on a used car.....it depends on the make/model/demand.

For TT, I expect a small discount. It holds its value better. For SL, I expect to pay about 60% of retail if it is in really good condition and a year or two old.

Dawn

:iagree: When buying or selling I look to see what used materials are trending. If it is worth the difference (to me saving $5 or more depending on how costly the item is) then I get used, if not I don't. It is the same with anything else used, either it is worth it to you or not but the value is set by the market not by what I want to pay or receive when selling.

Half or so plus shipping is reasonable, IMO, for stuff in decent condition. Maybe less if it's really, truly, brand new. I can get most things with free shipping through rainbow or amazon with a lot less hassle, so it has to be pretty cheap.

I don't mind if people list for more, and I understand why, but I'm usually not going to go for it. I don't have any used curric resources locally, that might be different.

OK you all need to buy my stuff, seriously! :)

Even if I mark 50% down (or even 2/3 off) people want the stuff for less.

The $5 off new prices doesn't seem fair to me. The original user only has to pay $5 to use it? The original purchaser should have some money in it too.

60% or less. Like new condition at 50/60%

Any more than that plus shipping and I'd rather pay a bit more for new and not have any stress about when or the condition of its arrival.

I feel the same about selling. If I can't clear at least $15 after s/h, I just don't bother to sell it.

I buy most of my material used and pay half of new or less. Readers or other fiction books I can get cheaper at used book stores for .50-$1.

I buy from homeschool curriculum sales as much as I can because these tend to be cheaper because there is no postage involved. People also don't want to take it home so will accept a slightly lower price than what they are asking if you buy more than 1 thing.

The only exception is Teaching Textbooks that seems to hold it's value better. I have gotten it half off before but usually 25-30% off. I finally had to buy Pre-Algebra new because I wanted the updated version and I could only find it $10-$20 cheaper than new so it made sense to buy it new since postage was free.

With Rainbow, I'm still supporting homeschool. Amazon, no, but by reducing my own hassle and stress, the homeschool family I'm supporting is me. :001_smile:

Erica in OR

I've paid close to retail for used- but only at this time of year when I've needed something quickly and not wanted to wait two weeks for the big homeschool company to get around to shipping it.

I knew to avoid Rainbow at this time of year, and now I can put Sonlight on my list too. They still haven't processed my order from the 19th for $18 worth of math workbooks. If I had ordered them from that guy on ebay, I would have had them by now. :glare:

It depends on the curriculum. I recently bought a copy of TT4 on Ebay for $100 PLUS shipping. We later realized that we needed TT5 instead, so I listed it several places for $90. This was a brand new unused copy of TT. Anyway, I had a local buyer within minutes on a yahoo group, I met her about 30 minutes later but when I got home I had numerous messages from people asking if I'd take $60 for it. :confused: Um, no.