Menu

If you HS year round and live in FL, I have a ? for you

We're not in FL yet but will be and I want to get our routine started before getting there so we can work out any kinks in the system. Everything I read says that I have to have the boys be evaluated yearly and have their portfolio prepared. I can do that no problem, but since we use a boxed curriculum we can go through more than one school year during the calendar year. Do you have him take the evaluation for the year that you let the district know he was in or for the year he is taking? Let's say we start 1st grade in Sept and that's what the letter of intent says but by June we're already halfway through 2nd grade and the child takes the evaluation for first grade. Would the district take an issue if come the next sept they're told that child is starting third grade or is it possible to do more than one evaluation per calendar year?:confused:

I shouldn't listen to certified teachers, I had things all planned out and am now super confused. I don't like taking big breaks between grades either since the boys go crazy if they have nothing to do.

We do the ITBS every year through a homeschool group. I test them at the grade level they would be in school, so it doesn't matter what grade level work we're doing at home.

I've never had anyone look at their portfolio. I keep one in case the district ever asks, but I've never heard of it happening.

You don't have to have anything about the grade level. It is just a form that says "making progress commensurate with ability." The district never sees the work, or what grade level it is, or whatever. Only the person doing the portfolio evaluation sees it, and trust me, there are plenty that are homeschooling moms themselves and understand that kids that are homeschooled will work at various grade levels.

For us in our district - once we filed the letter of intent there was never a question of what grade level I was using. The school of course assumed a grade level based on birthdate. Evaluation is at the end of the year. The district does send us a letter stating they are letting us continue to homeschool at ______ grade level (the level they have based on our initial start date) but it truly means nothing to us. You can teach at what ever level your children are at. I would just test the grade level your children would be at in school for your evaluation. The point is to show that your child is progressing. The only time your advanced grade level would come up is if you wanted to put your children in school. In our district they allow for grade advancement and would test the children to place them properly. Your portfolio has to be keep for two years but only has to be shown to anyone if you choose to do a portfolio evaluation for your year end eval or if the district gives you 15 days notice that they want to review it. I've been homeschooling in my district 12 years and have never been asked for my portfolio.

I suppose if it came up one year you could test twice and just hand in both results to show that your child is working above grade level but for our legal purposes it's not neccesary.

Hope that helps.

We're not in FL yet but will be and I want to get our routine started before getting there so we can work out any kinks in the system. Everything I read says that I have to have the boys be evaluated yearly and have their portfolio prepared. I can do that no problem, but since we use a boxed curriculum we can go through more than one school year during the calendar year. Do you have him take the evaluation for the year that you let the district know he was in or for the year he is taking? Let's say we start 1st grade in Sept and that's what the letter of intent says but by June we're already halfway through 2nd grade and the child takes the evaluation for first grade. Would the district take an issue if come the next sept they're told that child is starting third grade or is it possible to do more than one evaluation per calendar year?:confused:

I shouldn't listen to certified teachers, I had things all planned out and am now super confused. I don't like taking big breaks between grades either since the boys go crazy if they have nothing to do.

Edited by StillLearning

Oh, and there is no evaluation to "take". It isn't a test. It is just sitting down with a teacher of your choosing (I use my good friend, other people hire someone (about $35) locally...usually another homeschool mom), and go over some of the work that you've done. They then sign a form, or write a letter, saying that the child is making progress. It is really VERY vague, and NOT a worry. I've never ever heard of a problem.

We homeschool in FL and I'm an evaluator too. :)

FL law says that you must submit your annual evaluation on the anniversary date of your intent to homeschool letter. Lots of people pull kids out of school and so their intent letters are mid-year. Evaluators are not supposed to look at "school year" progress, but individual progress so if you want to homeschool 2 grade levels in one year you are welcome to. If you want to take 1 whole year to get through one "grade level" you can do that too - as long as your child shows "progress commensurate with his/her ability."

And, by the way, putting a grade level on your evaluation form is not required by FL law.

Contact me through the link on my website if you have any more questions. :)

Thanks! I got super confused there for a bit (we'll be in Hillsborough County and the teachers that we know teach ps in that county as well). They confused me telling me that's how things are done there and I got freaked out:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

I'm going to keep all this great advice in mind.

We homeschool in FL and I'm an evaluator too. :)

FL law says that you must submit your annual evaluation on the anniversary date of your intent to homeschool letter. Lots of people pull kids out of school and so their intent letters are mid-year. Evaluators are not supposed to look at "school year" progress, but individual progress so if you want to homeschool 2 grade levels in one year you are welcome to. If you want to take 1 whole year to get through one "grade level" you can do that too - as long as your child shows "progress commensurate with his/her ability."

And, by the way, putting a grade level on your evaluation form is not required by FL law.

Contact me through the link on my website if you have any more questions. :)

Hi, I'm SPB and I'm about to become your stalker.

Most counties do not have the staff to do anything more than file whatever form you send them each year.

We school all year so about every 3 years DD jumps up another grade level ahead of her same age peers. I always let her take the ITBS at age appropriate grade level, but eventually changed to curriculum level. I do not think the school board even noticed.

Homeschooling here is so easy. You will pick up a blank form the first time you go to the local Board of Education. Then, within 12 months complete that form and mail it back. They file it and send you another blank form for the next 12 months.

I am too lazy to keep up with a portfolio, by the way.

:001_smile:

Thanks! I got super confused there for a bit (we'll be in Hillsborough County and the teachers that we know teach ps in that county as well). They confused me telling me that's how things are done there and I got freaked out:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

I'm going to keep all this great advice in mind.

In Hillsborough County, Debbie Strayer is a well-known and well-respected evaluator. She books up very fast - like 6 months in advance, so keep that in mind when you contact her! My friends who use her generally email her in Jan/Feb to set up appointments for May/June. She does portfolio review, testing, and general consultations with curriculum recommendations.

In Hillsborough County, Debbie Strayer is a well-known and well-respected evaluator. She books up very fast - like 6 months in advance, so keep that in mind when you contact her! My friends who use her generally email her in Jan/Feb to set up appointments for May/June. She does portfolio review, testing, and general consultations with curriculum recommendations.

Thank you! I will keep this in a safe place for when we move:D

i live in FL. the evaluation is really easy. there are a few homeschool moms in my group that are also certified teachers. i just paid one to do my evaluation. i brought over the kids portfolios and it was very relaxed. i'm sure wherever you move, the local homeschool group will have a list of homeschool friendly evaluators.