Menu

A k curriculum that isn't writing intensive or reliant

AimeeM

My son is a new 3 year old. He knows his letters (by sight and sound) and his numbers through 10 by sight, can count to 20, and appears to understand basic addition in theory; he knows his shapes and colors.

However, his fine motor skills are very age appropriate (possibly behind, actually), so my options seem limited.

I should say that he WANTS to learn more; I'm not pushing it. So far I've ordered the Get Ready for the Code series and Singapore Essentials K for him to use as he wants, but I'm reconsidering the Get Ready series - I've heard it relies on some tracing and writing (not sure if that's true)?

Is there anything other than Starfall (which he already uses) that I can buy for him?

I also ordered a few of the Can You See What I See? books for him.

My daughter is 4 and we're doing preschool right now. Her fine motor skills aren't great either (she's even receiving therapy for it), so I expect next to no writing right now. We do Essentials, and if it requires more than she can do, I write it for her. For reading, I decided against ETC for this very reason. I use OPG as a sort of guide and then use many other resources to practice. For example, we use letter magnets, iPad apps, computer programs (like Reading Bear and Starfall), BOB books and Progressive Phonics to practice. Some people use letter stickers or stamps so the child can answer things without writing them in curricula that requires it.

If you're looking for a whole curriculum, I'd say go for Five in a Row or something like Wee Folks Preschool. Neither of those require any writing if you don't want them to.

My son will be 4 at end of dec and is ahead in reading and math with fine motor skills typical for age. We are using aar since it requires no writing. For math we're doing mep and miquon. I made him little squares with numbers on them so he can use them for answers instead of writing. We also do a lot out loud. I also got him a small stamp to use for things where he needs to draw x number of objects.

There is lots that can be done through activities - no writing required :)

*Play with math manipulatives (Cuisenaire rods, play money, counting bears, etc.)

*Funtastic Frogs comes with laces, so you can make patterns and create math problems while working on fine motor skills too.

*If you want to buy something, Saxon K math requires no writing. Miquon is also very hands-on and you can easily do the writing or use stamps.

*File folder games approach academic skills in a fun way. We have a ton. Carson-Dellosa makes great, colorful books of games. You just tear out, laminate, cut, and tape together.

*More.Starfall IS great. ABC mouse and Dreambox are also good.

I have a bright little kid, but he really dislikes anything formal. I have a bunch of resources available, and I pull them out as games. Last year, if it "smelled" like school, he ran away. This year he gladly cuts and pastes and does more seatwork, but still refuses to write anything besides his name or to color. That's fine, he's only four, so we skip it or I do it and describe what I'm doing. A child's "readiness" isn't just based on what they know, but what they are ready to DO - when my son was 3, he could learn things informally but wasn't developmentally ready to do anything focused for very long. So keep it light, and I'd focus on content and not worry about "skill" yet.

Are you looking for things that involve circling, coloring and underlining? Check into Evan-Moor's Everyday Literacy series. There are three or four different subjects. Choose the Pre-K level. Also, Carson-Dellosa has a ton of little workbooks that require pretty much only those basic skills. Any large bookstore, teacher supply store, etc. should have a wire spin rack full of them.

I haven't used it/seen it, but maybe Before Five in a Row.

My favorite activity for working on motor skills is a salt box. My 4yo will sit at the table with us and work on letter formation while his brothers are doing school. I even taught ds6 his cursive letter formation with it last year in K. It's a great little tool for non-writers.

Phonics Pathways - no writing.

What about changing focus a tiny bit. Maybe do something like Before FIAR? Play with Lauri Toys even if he can recognize the numbers and letters. Maybe he would like putting them in order?

I love Lauri toys for my preschoolers! Ds4 has been has known his letters and numbers to 20 for over a year now and we still use Lauri toys everyday. I've been known to push MFW toddler and preschool packages on this board because they are such a good collection of them. Great for developing motor skills too.

There is lots that can be done through activities - no writing required :)

*Play with math manipulatives (Cuisenaire rods, play money, counting bears, etc.)

*Funtastic Frogs comes with laces, so you can make patterns and create math problems while working on fine motor skills too.

*If you want to buy something, Saxon K math requires no writing. Miquon is also very hands-on and you can easily do the writing or use stamps.

*File folder games approach academic skills in a fun way. We have a ton. Carson-Dellosa makes great, colorful books of games. You just tear out, laminate, cut, and tape together.

*More.Starfall IS great. ABC mouse and Dreambox are also good.

I have a bright little kid, but he really dislikes anything formal. I have a bunch of resources available, and I pull them out as games. Last year, if it "smelled" like school, he ran away. This year he gladly cuts and pastes and does more seatwork, but still refuses to write anything besides his name or to color. That's fine, he's only four, so we skip it or I do it and describe what I'm doing. A child's "readiness" isn't just based on what they know, but what they are ready to DO - when my son was 3, he could learn things informally but wasn't developmentally ready to do anything focused for very long. So keep it light, and I'd focus on content and not worry about "skill" yet.

I'll check out the funtastic frogs - he does love frogs, lol.

We are using the ETC primers with young 4yos. One of mine (the boy) is not ready to do all of the writing. I have him finger trace the letters instead of tracing them with a pencil/crayon. On all the pages where he's supposed to circle something or X the one that doesn't belong, etc, I let him mark the answer with a do-a-dot marker (bingo dotter). He LOVES that. The material is right within his ability level, and those simple changes make it easy for him to zip through. He loves it!

I am using Core Knowledge's preK book and activity book with my 3yo who is in the same place and wants "cool work.". It's nice for me because it's very open-and-go, she loves it because there are stories and activities and songs. I add in a letter craft on Friday and she loves it. Just because she knows all of these things doesn't mean she doesn't love them!