Menu

If you celebrated your 25th wedding anniversary

What did you do?

Did you just spend time alone going to dinner with your husband?

Did you renew your vows? Write your own? Have a big party?

Ours is coming up in June. We are vacationing back down in Ocean City,MD again(which BTW we LOVED). We actually went because friends of ours got married on the beach.

I would love to write our own vows, and do it on the beach, and have a small gathering after, but with a DJ(we had a Polish band:tongue_smilie:when we were married in 1988. ugh. Don't even get me started) And with my and my DH picking the music.

Just wondering what you all did?

We've only just celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary, but back when we were first seeing each other, even before we had any definite plans for marriage, we went on a wonderful holiday together to Ecuador and DH said while we were there that we should come back for our 25th wedding anniversary and bring our kids for a big celebration. He didn't actually propose properly for another six months. The trip to Ecuador is still very much what we most want to do for our 25th anniversary, only now the boys are just as excited as we are about the idea as we are :001_smile:.

we didnt' do much for our 25th. We were in TX with family, and all we could do was get away for dinner so nothing huge.

But for our 20th. I did do something for him every day leading up to the day. It was fun. Did things in 20s like flowers, balloons. I also did a "platinum" album gift, Got a movie that we liked that came out that year.

I tried to keep things to cheap or free when possible. So there was a poem, a 20 candle lit room one night, etc.

That was fun.

Well, I only have one child that is working full time, another that is in college working part time. And one that is to young to contribute monetarily.

I do think my friends that just got married are going to help out. Mainly the plannning and such, and my oldest son will contribute money wise I am sure.

I have a very small diamond engagement ring that my DH bought at Sears;) We were quite broke when we were engaged and got married. My wedding band has three small diamonds of which one fell out((sigh)). Plus, neither one fits(the joys of getting older). Would love to have both reset somehow. Mine and his.

I really would like to write our own vows. We were married in a Catholic church, and everybody except me planned our wedding. Since our anniversary is in June, it is very close to our vacation back down in Md in August so I thought we could do it there. Our closest friends would be there and our children.

I like to hear what others have done.

Hmmmm....well, we haven't been through it yet, but our 25th is in June 2013, and we are planning now.

Currently, we are putting every cent extra we can squeak out into becoming debt free - hence the post on the food police thread...yep boys, you are not going to completely eat us out of house and home! ;) We'll hit that mark on July 1st of 3013. So, the plan is that we'll just spend our anniversary day at Greenfield Village/Henry Ford museum and that night at the Westin in Southfield.

We haven't used a credit card in years, but we've got a really great credit rating, so we are booking a trip to New Zealand - if everything works out with getting vacation from his job and juggling rocket team and 4-H responsibilities - for early November 2013. We'll put it on a credit card that we can earn air miles and what not on and then break it down into four months payments thereby accruing only a tiny amount of interest because the rate on the card is so low for the first six months after we open it. Then it's off to New Zealand for a week.

After that, we'll have lots of wedding stuff to pay for since dd is getting married somewhere between April and July of 2014...date not firm yet. We are actually doing some planning and collecting now since we've found some things on clearance sale. Plus, planning now helped us figure out how to pay for an anniversary trip and a wedding within 12 months of each other.

Knock on wood, cross fingers, pray, think good thoughts, that is the plan!

Faith

We thought about renewing our vows. Then I remembered that we had had Holy Communion at our wedding, which was extremely unusual when we did it. So I thought it would be fitting to have it at our vow renewal.

Then I saw A RING that I totally fell in love with. Neither of us have worn wedding rings for several years (long irrelevant story). While debating whether to buy THE RING, I decided to have my wedding band resized. Then I asked DH whether he would wear a wedding ring at this point, and he decided to replace his, which he had lost. He also decided to fix a dress ring that was messed up. So all of the sudden we each have a new ring and refurbished ring, none of which have been blessed. So he decides that we should have them blessed as part of the ceremony.

Then I remembered a really good hymn for family life, Oh Blest the House. And my fave for Communion, Soul Adorn Thyself with Gladness.

At this point, we just jumped to an entire Divine Service, with the support of our pastor. It was great, and the perfect way to start this special day.

Then we headed to Lake Tahoe for a 10 day vacation. So cool!

Ours in in April, 2013 and we are going to Disney World! Shocker, I know. :lol:

We're taking all the kids to celebrate our "family's birthday"...which is what my dh and I have always called our anniversary. We'll go out together to a nice, romantic signature restaurant while we're there, and I'm sure he'll buy me something lovely...he's very good about that. But that's it, really. Vow renewals aren't my thing at all, and I'm completely happy with my original rings, so neither of those two things interest me.

We go on a romantic getaway every winter at a beautiful hotel in the mountains here in Utah where it's just the two of us (it's nice to live in a resort area :D), so we're really more excited about having a fun family vacation during the time of our actual anniversary.

Good luck with planning yours!

We would love to take a week's vacation, but he and I are both only children and our parents are all gone, so we have nobody to watch the kids. So I think we're taking a family vacation. :tongue_smilie: Isn't that special? Something we do every year anyway.

Ours is this December. We've been talking about a trip but it will have to be a different week, as ds is graduating from college the weekend of our anniversary. We'll have family in town and be celebrating his graduation! I know we'll go out to eat or something by ourselves sometime that week but our real celebration will have to be later (or earlier). We haven't done anything super special since our 10th, which we spent on Grand Cayman Island.

Ours in in April, 2013 and we are going to Disney World! Shocker, I know. :lol:

We're taking all the kids to celebrate our "family's birthday"...which is what my dh and I have always called our anniversary.

Yep, real shocker coming from you.... I LOVE calling your anniversary your family's birthday, that is really neat.

We just celebrated our 20th, but we are already planning for a Mediterranean cruise and trip to Rome and Cinque Terre for our 25th. My husband had started planning this for our 20th but... we ended up having a new baby instead, 18 days before our 20th anniversary! Funny thing is, the same thing happened on our 10th- we planned a hiking trip to Machu Picchu, and instead celebrated the birth of our first son 12 days before our 10th. Maybe we need to forget the "milestone" anniversaries and try for a 23rd or something like that. :lol:

I think your plans sound lovely!

Ohhhh, some of these replies sound so wonderful! We thought of doing a cruise, but we really wanted to have our kids involved. So maybe a cruise by ourselves for our 30th?

I am really leaning towards doing our vows on the beach with new wedding bands made up. Our kids with us and our closest friends. Dinner, and a DJ afterwards.

We are planning to go back to Ocean City, MD again next August so it makes the most sense, and the most cost effective as we do not have to pay for anniversary party, AND for vacation 2 months later.

Our best friends were married on the beach, and it was so beautiful.

We have a year and 9 months to go. Dh and I have discussed renewing our wedding vows then going away for 2 - 3 days. That's all we can do with a RAD child. :sad:

Dd12 wants to be with us when we renew our vows. Dh and I both want things REAL low key, like having friends of ours renew our vows on a beach, then my brother bringing the girls home so dh and I could spend a coupkle of days alone. I'm thinking Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket.

In a few years we can travel all we want. For now, we don't.

And I definitely DO NOT want a party.:001_smile: