Menu

What are "technology" classes at elementary ps?

Many ps have obsoleted daily phys ed classes and partially replaced with "technology" as a mandatory class once/week or more. Does anyone have any idea what's covered by technology class at the elem grade or middle school levels? I have noticed that this is *not* a trend followed by any hs co-ops I've heard of.

I couldn't find a good definition of technology class deliverables from a quick look at Common Core Stds either

At my school they get computer class once a week that teaches them proper keyboarding and introduces them to computers in general, Internet use, emails, and office products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. The students are taught how to use these in their schoolwork and create digital projects. They blog about their class, take and edit video, create wikis, you name it!

In middle school we had computer classes (back in the 1980s) I think they were Apple IIes in the classroom?

My guess is that co-ops don't have computer class because of the expense of the hardware (as well as the difficulty transporting it every week, getting it all set up, taken down, etc. This would be a better "Class" in someone's house if a parent wanted to teach programming, or such)

Do homeschooling families tend to be better off than non? I know in our area, we are told 50% of the families have no computer in the house.

At my school they get computer class once a week that teaches them proper keyboarding and introduces them to computers in general, Internet use, emails, and office products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. The students are taught how to use these in their schoolwork and create digital projects. They blog about their class, take and edit video, create wikis, you name it!

My kids technology class was a lot like this - keyboarding (typing) and making powerpoint presentations. I honestly thought it was a bit of a waste of time, but we are a high-tech family so it was probably how sports-oriented families feel about 'teaching' baseball in gym . ..

My daughter had computer class 1-2 times a week last week when she went to PS for 1st grade. (All the "specials" rotated weekly so some weeks they got it once and some twice.) From what I gathered, they just played games and got yelled at by the teacher who taught the class. My daughter thought it was a waste of time, but then, she complained daily that the whole PS experience was a waste of time. :)

My kids' technology classes are similar to this. They are once a week but sometimes they will tie in with what they are doing in library which is another day a week.

I've never heard of daily phys ed classes in elementary school. They didn't have it when I was a kid either. Here my kids have phys ed once a week.

My ps 1st grader has a weekly technology class. He is starting with keyboarding programs. I think it will introduce Office programs. He also has a weekly physical ed, music, art and library class.

I only had daily phy ed classes once I was in 7 - 10th grades. Before then, it was just weekly. Our school also had computer labs that I remember using Apple II in the early 80s.

My elementary school had 3 Apple IIe computers in the library, so they'd pull three kids at a time out of the entire school once per semester for a lesson on word processing. I think they went through the whole school, so that each student got a lesson.

That was our computer class.

My kids technology class was a lot like this - keyboarding (typing) and making powerpoint presentations. I honestly thought it was a bit of a waste of time, but we are a high-tech family so it was probably how sports-oriented families feel about 'teaching' baseball in gym . ..

Well some of our 3rd and 4th graders come in knowing quite a bit so we give them more difficult projects using multimedia but our kindergarten kids are all just learning. All of our students from kindy to grade 4 have the class once a week.

We also have PE twice a week. However, the kids still get two recesses per day to play as well and many other schools are eliminating recess.

There are only so many minutes in a day and we try to find a balance the best we can.

My elementary school kids have the following specials: music, art, pe, computer lab, and science lab. They have pe every other day, and the rest rotate through. The science lab is in addition to their regular science in the classroom, and a full time science teacher is in there. When my kids have free time when they are done their work, they often go assist with the animals in the science lab. At younger ages, the computer lab is used to support classroom learning. When they get older, it is more like Heather described. They also have two recesses-morning and right after lunch.