Menu

What wonderous things a white board can do

I was at my whit's end trying to get Algebra 1 to click with dd. Out of desperation I went to walmart and bought a white board so dd could practice without wasting paper and tearing holes in her workbook with constant erasing.

She played with the problems and the white board for an hour yesterday afternoon and now this morning she so has this stuff that was giving her such a hard time yesterday and last week.

:hurray:

I remember doing this years and years ago when I was struggling in Algebra.

My dad and I sat on the landing of our staircase outside the master bedroom going through each problem of my assignment over and over until I got it figured out.

It never really clicked but at least I made it through the course.

I even have two 18 X 24" white boards. My son and I work out math problems at the same time sitting side-by-side on the couch during a math "lesson". I found this helps make my son slow down and show all the steps - plus after each "line" we stop and see if we're at the same place - that ways we catch each other before the problem goes "too wrong". I found this helped eliminate me nagging on him to show his steps and helped eliminate the frustration of discovering too late a simple adding, etc. mistake and having to do the whole thing over. Once he's got it, then he's off to do the rest of the exercises on his own.

Myra

I took the frame off my whiteboard and it now covers the table. I couldn't get my son to write out any math problems on the paper before, but now that he can write on the table (whiteboard) with colorful markers, he is working every single problem out. We also :001_wub: our whiteboard.

I took the frame off my whiteboard and it now covers the table. I couldn't get my son to write out any math problems on the paper before, but now that he can write on the table (whiteboard) with colorful markers, he is working every single problem out. We also :001_wub: our whiteboard.

What a cool idea!

Where is the best place to purchase a large whiteboard? I just ordered a small white board and a small black board and I would like a large one for the wall, or on an easel.

:0)

You can go to Home Depot, Menards or Lowes and get a large piece of masonite (sometimes called showerboard) for under $20 which is a lot better than the close to $200 that you would pay for one at an office supply store. You can cover the edges with electrical tape or buy some trim to make it look nicer. That's what I am going to do, can't believe I have gone this long without one.

When I first started homeschooling, I talked to my sister (a certified teacher and 12 year homeschool vet). I asked her what was the MOST IMPORTANT thing I needed to get started. Her answer: a whiteboard :)

Glad to hear it's "clicking" for her. I LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEE that "look" when the lightbulb comes on in my dc's heads! That will NEVER get old to me!

Happy Homeschooling :)

I don't get it. Why do they like doing math on white boards so much better than paper? Doesn't the novelty wear off after a day or two? And the smell of the markers get old?

Dd likes to use color :001_smile: We bought an assortment of ten different fine point markers. Algebra is more fun when each problem can be a different color :D

But colored pencils don't seem to have nearly the same effect?

She likes the vibrancy of the markers.

On paper she feels the need to keep everything very much in line. Some complicated problems don't lend themselves to staying in the lines, you know? She uses unlined printer paper when she must use paper but she definitely prefers the whiteboard!

I'm not going to sweat the whiteboard vs paper decision. Whatever keeps her math motivation up is great with me :D

I hear from a math tutor my kids had in Algebra that colored paper helps many kids get it. Not sure why that works but she used colored paper with the white boards and it did wonders.

Rejoicing with you

It is because it activates a part of the brain through visual pathways that aids in logically processing the material. It only works for visual learners. But, by the age of 13, about 65% have converted to visual learning, with 25% still remaining as auditory learners, and 10% still needing the "movement" kinestetic approach. However, writing on the white board, and especially a large one, actually helps that 10% because most people write with larger arm movements when writing on a white board or chalkboard than they do on paper. Using the larger motor skills, again, crosses the corpus collosum in the brain, forcing both hemispheres to work in tandem more efficiently causing both the patterning/logic portion of the brain (located in the left hemisphere) and the creative and language portion of the brain (right hemisphere) to "talk" to each other which is EXACTLY what you need to digest algebra. Once those two are working in a friendly manner, things tend to click and the student can also begin explaining the process to the teacher which is something difficult to do when only the left hemisphere is fully engaged.

I could tell you more - I took some "neurology of music and reading" classes way, way back in the mists of time when I was still certified as part of my needed continuing education credits - but it's pretty boring unless you are fascinated by it.

Also, when you get to "completing the square" ie. solving quadratic equations, there are manipulatives that literally demonstrate the formula. If you have a hands on learner that is struggling at that point, it might be worth buying a set - I don't think RR carries them but don't quote me on that.

Faith

Whiteboards help students to use BOTH sides of their brain--

It is less 'rigid' for formal problems-- the vibrant colors help the 'creative' side of the brain to kick in and help the 'logic' side out.

Also when you write on a whiteboard you are writing larger than normal- again it is a different part of the brain!

Colored pencils and 'scrap paper' can have a similar effect-- to make the most of these use scrap paper that is colored and has some ink 'showing through'. Begin in the MIDDLE of the page with the page turned at an angle. When the problem is complete circle it then move to a different part of the paper--rotating the page is important! This also awakes the 'creative' side of the brain.

Most students will find they have a color preference.

I had a student with dysgraphia (most extreme case I've seen as I have it too!) who could write his math problems LEGIBLY if he used a red/orange paper with a brown or green colored pencil... it was AMAZING!

Interesting. I was asking about age because I saw a friend of ds's at USAFA last weekend doing math homework (integrals) on a 11x16 or so whiteboard. Perhaps this is a strategy we should experiment with?

I could tell you more - I took some "neurology of music and reading" classes way, way back in the mists of time when I was still certified as part of my needed continuing education credits - but it's pretty boring unless you are fascinated by it.

I'm fascinated. Tell me more. Does it work as well with the smaller whiteboards as with the wall-sized ones?

Interesting. I was asking about age because I saw a friend of ds's at USAFA last weekend doing math homework (integrals) on a 11x16 or so whiteboard. Perhaps this is a strategy we should experiment with?

I'm fascinated. Tell me more. Does it work as well with the smaller whiteboards as with the wall-sized ones?

Activating the right hemisphere using colored markers will still work on the smaller boards. However, getting the benefit of working across the corpus collosum occurs most when larger motor skills are used. So, it's better in that regard to have a larger one...especially one that they can stand at. Writing such large problems in BIG script means that they will inevitably cross their body centers thus utilizing both hemispheres at the same time.

Faith

Activating the right hemisphere using colored markers will still work on the smaller boards. However, getting the benefit of working across the corpus collosum occurs most when larger motor skills are used. So, it's better in that regard to have a larger one...especially one that they can stand at. Writing such large problems in BIG script means that they will inevitably cross their body centers thus utilizing both hemispheres at the same time.

Faith

Interesting. Thanks.

Also, when you get to "completing the square" ie. solving quadratic equations, there are manipulatives that literally demonstrate the formula. If you have a hands on learner that is struggling at that point, it might be worth buying a set - I don't think RR carries them but don't quote me on that.

Faith

Do you know if these manipulatives have a specific name? Dd is still very much a kinestetic learner.

Do you know if these manipulatives have a specific name? Dd is still very much a kinestetic learner.

Versatiles is one brand that comes to mind. Here is a link to some of their options. Hands-On Equations is another and both are sold by this company. They are pricey. So, you may want to check ebay and Amazon if you are thinking of purchasing.

http://www.hand2mind.com/catalog/department?deptId=ALGEBRA&d0=MATH&d1=ALGEBRA&page=4&grade=&pricerng=-1|-1&deptimage=Y&all=&shownew=&showwebexcl=

Faith

Interesting. He was writing much bigger than normal, even on the smaller whiteboard.

Wow.

If she attends a brick and mortar high school she'll figure out how to write on paper all the time.

The friend DID attend a b&m high school. And apparently still likes the whiteboard.

Anyone watch "Beautiful Mind"? Drawing on those windows in the Princeton library produced the same result. I know MANY mathematicians and musicians that conquer their problem by working with colored markers and large boards, windows, colored chalk and blackboards, etc.

I was at Barnes and Nobles several years ago when a music theory study group from the local uni was using the facility for mounds of coffee and cramming for an exam. I was shopping for a book in their area of the store and it was obvious from conversation that there were a few key concepts about determining the harmonic progression of a piece of music and labeling the chords. It is a difficult task for many really great musicians. It's one thing to play your instrument and it's quite another to "diagram" a classical work. So, I asked if they'd let me help and was pleasantly surprised that they were open to anything. I purchased a decent package of colored dry erase markers in the teacher's section of the store, and then proceeded to use Barnes' BIG windows as my blackboard. It was dusk outside so the colors showed up VERY nicely. Once I'd worked them through some measures by "highlighting" specific notes within the progressions so they could see the chords within the structure by identifying the tonic note in each structure, the light clicked on. From there, I could just bring them up one at a time, have them do a few measures each, and presto...they'd conquered the concept.

When I was done, I turned around to find that most of the staff of the store was gathered around. I thought I was going to be in HUGE trouble for using the windows without permission. But, they were all grinning and thought it was cool. The manager handed some glass cleaner and paper towels to one of the members of the study group and told them they were more than happy to extend the use of the windows so long as the group cleaned the glass before closing time. Good times! :001_smile:

Faith

We've always used a little 2 x 3 whiteboard (marker board) for math, but this year - with physics and geometry, I decided we needed to go bigger!

I bought two 3x4 (ish) pieces of whiteboard wainscoting at Lowe's for $12 each and mounted them on the wall with heavy duty foam double sided tape. They work like a charm!!!!

I am so glad I have them. We are using them for EVERYTHING.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_61082-46498-31023248_4294715691__?productId=3042205&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=