Menu

I didn't realize how very important the SM bar models are right from level 1

melmichigan

Today I realized just how much classrooms that use SM rely on bar graphs from the beginning, not just from level 3. It is truly an eye opening experience to watch a SM teacher go through problems with a student, everything comes back to the bar diagrams. I have learned that the HIG's don't do it justice.

Good to know. Adding that nugget to my arsenal of Singapore knowledge. I too am having a bit of a hard time getting it all figured out.

Today I realized just how much classrooms that use SM rely on bar graphs from the beginning, not just from level 3. It is truly an eye opening experience to watch a SM teacher go through problems with a student, everything comes back to the bar diagrams. I have learned that the HIG's don't do it justice.

:iagree::iagree:

I just ordered primary 2 challenging word problems ( we don't use singapore math) am I going to need to get something else to learn this bar method? Please help!

CWP explains it very well in the example problems for each section. Just make sure you go over those yourself. I've seen people say their kids had trouble with CWP, and then the parents themselves had no clue there were even examples. They weren't working with the kids! So if your kid is struggling, go over the examples with your child and learn it yourself so you can effectively teach it. :)

Where did you watch a SM teacher go through the problems?

I took Beth's suggestion and have a SM teacher working to challenge my 'mathy' DS, freeing up more of my time for the basics with him and extra time to work with my youngest DD, who struggles with math. I observe the class on another computer to better educate myself since DS7 has passed up all but my oldest in math.

Yes, I think you can self study the bar models and teach your children, obviously that is what I have done with DS up until this point, but watching a teacher who does this everyday, and has for so many years is just a completely different experience. It might be different for me in the future after I have gone through the program a few more times, but it just isn't now.

I took Beth's suggestion and have a SM teacher working to challenge my 'mathy' DS, freeing up more of my time for the basics with him and extra time to work with my youngest DD, who struggles with math. I observe the class on another computer to better educate myself since DS7 has passed up all but my oldest in math.

Yes, I think you can self study the bar models and teach your children, obviously that is what I have done with DS up until this point, but watching a teacher who does this everyday, and has for so many years is just a completely different experience. It might be different for me in the future after I have gone through the program a few more times, but it just isn't now.

Oooh, how did you find a SM teacher??

I see bar models as being the same as using the Cuisenaire Rods. But we are only in Singapore 2, so maybe I am nuts. LOL http://www.thinkingblocks.com/

Thank you so much for posting this link! We are very happy with MM but I wish it utilized the bar model approach for solving problems more. This is a great way to expose my dc to this problem-solving technique! I think I will let my dc use this to get used to using bar models and then use the C-rods for problem-solving in MM.

Thank you so much for posting this link! We are very happy with MM but I wish it utilized the bar model approach for solving problems more. This is a great way to expose my dc to this problem-solving technique! I think I will let my dc use this to get used to using bar models and then use the C-rods for problem-solving in MM.

Your welcome. Singapore, Miquon, educationunboxed Nd the rods have changed my whole view of math.