Menu

large families - what is your procedure for turning things into Mom/grading things?

razorbackmama

It takes me forever to grade my kids' work, and I'm thinking part of the issue is our method.

Each child has a "cubby" - basically it's a small shelf where their individual books, workbooks, folders, etc. are kept. They all have 1 folder, and that is where any loose papers go. Work in progress or to be completed goes on the left side of the folder. Completed work that needs to be filed away in a binder goes on the right side of the folder. In front of that goes their daily assignment sheet that I print out from Homeschool Tracker.

When I go to grade their work, I have to get their folders, any workbooks they might have, and sort through it all. Some kids are naturally neater than others. My 14yo's folder is always a mess LOL. It's like he shuffles all his papers on the table and then just stuffs it in his folder.;) So just organizing it into a workable pile takes a few minutes. This times 5 can really take up some time!

A couple of my kids do their schoolwork in their rooms, and they have a tendency to leave their books in there. If I notice that they haven't brought them down to their cubbies, I tell them to bring them down, but that's assuming that I notice while they are still awake. Often I don't get to start working on all of this until after their are in bed. So then I have to go upstairs and try to find their schoolbooks in the dark.:tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking there has GOT to be a better way LOL!!!!

I'm thinking about requiring them to turn in everything in a central box of some sort, making sure to PUT THEIR NAME ON IT (ahem, 14yo). But I've tried that in the past and it was a disaster.:glare:

Something has to change though. Plus I think I am assuming responsibility that I shouldn't be in our current procedure. It's not MY job to hunt down their work every day, KWIM?

So I'd love to hear what works for you!

(Them grading their own work is out of the question, as is going over their work with them immediately...I am teaching 6, so there is absolutely no way I can do that.)

I have a wide filing cabinet behind my chair. They all stack their stuff that needs to be graded on that cabinet. It's in plain sight, and I can grab it and grade something during a free minute (like when dd8 is doing a speed drill, copy work, or something else that gives me a few minutes to breathe).

I don't have them pull any loose papers out of a workbook or notebook. The physical presence of the books is enough to motivate me to grade the papers so I can send the books back to their rooms or cubbies. The younger two have cubbies in the schoolroom, the older two have desks in their rooms where they keep their books.

That being said......I do remember it being a lot more difficult to keep up with grading when I had more little ones like you do. I did resort to some self-grading or checking, but not every day. For example, I would let them check their grammar M-Th and I would grade the quiz on Friday. If there were problems, I would go back to grading it every day myself. In math, I would let them check their work every other day.

We have a wire basket that sits in the middle of the table and everything that I

Need to grade or look at goes in there. I try to deplete the stack as we go through the day. Lately I've been grading during our morning break and lunch and if I can do that then my evening stack is very light.

I bought a Desk Apprentice this year. We haven't started yet, so I don't know if it'll work, but it can't be worse than last year. Last year I had no system; this is a variation of a system that I used the year before that worked fairly well.

I put answer keys in the outside pockets, along with a couple of teacher's manuals that I must have for grading (Rod & Staff English and Math). In the interior, each boy has a hanging folder, along with hanging folders with file folders inside for more answer keys (I copied/will copy the keys from the back of the books so I don't have to store the whole book) and a few other miscellaneous folders.

The boys each have a folder that they are responsible to turn in at the end of each day by placing it in the hanging folder. One side of the folder is for work for I need to grade, and the other side is for work they need to correct (work that they're finished with goes in a file folder in their hanging folder until I move it to the year long storage box). I keep very few workbooks intact (we use a binder system to hold work they need to complete), but if they have a workbook they're supposed to turn that in as well.

The idea is that everything is in a central spot so I've got everything I need to grade. And the system is portable, so I can take it anywhere in the house, or even to places where I'm waiting for them (such as piano lessons). I also have pens, stapler, paperclips, etc. in the Apprentice so it's all right there and ready for me.

I'm currently keeping the Apprentice on the floor behind my desk. It's quite large, and while I could fit it in my desk I don't want to give up the real estate.

I don't have a large family, but we school around hubby's shiftwork, TONS of "extra curricular" activities, church, etc., etc. And, by nature, mom is just a wee bit SCATTERBRAINED!!!

I sat my military vet hubby down and said, "ok, ORGANIZE ME!!!" Had to swallow my pride, but it helped :)

We got the kids their own bookbags with two large pockets. Then we got them a spiral notebook for each subject. Textbooks go in one large pocket, notebooks go in the other marked with the subject name on the front cover on each notebook.

Hubby gave me one of those 4 rack desktop filing "thingies" (don't know what the exact name of them are!). I grade 3 subjects per day. Those 3 notebooks are placed in their rack (each child knows which one is theirs) when they leave "school" for the day. I give them back after grading / recording. The next day, we do another 3 subjects, etc., etc.

My main issue was loose papers! Can't stand them!!!!! I felt like everywhere I turned around there was another piece of paper screaming my name! This way, it's all organized. Lessons are kept in a notebook, in date order, so I can be sure everything's been graded and they can go back to review for tests / quizes.

Not sure if it's the best method, but it works for us.

Happy Homeschooling :)

Tammie

I don't have them pull any loose papers out of a workbook or notebook.
I don't have mine pull anything out of their workbooks, but some of the stuff they do is just on loose sheets of paper...math pages I've printed, copies I've made from Building Thinking Skills, compositions they have typed up, etc.

We have a wire basket that sits in the middle of the table and everything that I

Need to grade or look at goes in there. I try to deplete the stack as we go through the day. Lately I've been grading during our morning break and lunch and if I can do that then my evening stack is very light.

That's what I tried once, and it just did NOT work. But maybe I wasn't forceful enough about "this is YOUR job, to make sure sure that I get the papers that need to be graded, NOT MINE.":sneaky2:

But maybe I wasn't forceful enough about "this is YOUR job, to make sure sure that I get the papers that need to be graded, NOT MINE.":sneaky2:

The more I think about it, the more I am really thinking that this is the crux of the issue.

Joy of all joys, now I get to be mean mom/teacher about this too.;)

We had a basket in the middle of the table for a while, now they just stack things on my desk. A couple of little things that might help...I try to not have any loose papers if we can help it. We use spiral notebooks for most things so that it is all contained in one place. We use a lot of little post-it's to mark the current page, so that there isn't any flipping around - just go right to the stickie. This works for the spiral notebooks, handwriting or spelling workbooks, graph paper notebooks for math, etc. We use a lot of them!

I agree with you that you shouldn't be having to find their papers. It will take a little time, but I am sure that you will find a solution for your family! I also like the idea of them writing their names on their papers. I require that of anything loose that they hand in. (Obviously notebooks/workbooks have their names on the front.) It is a good habit to get into.

Don't be discouraged! We are all a work in progress! :001_smile:

Uh-oh! Bring on Mean Mama! There's one at my house too! :lol:
:D

I am not sure if this would work for you, but what about having some of the older kids mark the younger ones work? It would free up a bit of your time.
They aren't very, um, OBSERVANT. LOL Plus they have a pretty full load already.

I also like the idea of them writing their names on their papers. I require that of anything loose that they hand in. (Obviously notebooks/workbooks have their names on the front.) It is a good habit to get into.
:iagree:People probably think it's a bit too "schoolish," but honestly my classroom is larger than some of the private school classrooms around here, so sometimes I have to go "schoolish." And I want them to be in the habit of putting their names on papers because I guarantee their college professors won't remind them!

We also have a central basket Where the kids place completed work. I try to grade here and there throughout the day. But I usually have to finish in the evening after dinner.

I require that all mistakes be reworked. I write down the page numbers with missed problems on their weekly schedules. They do those the following day.

I rarely have to go chasing down workbooks anymore. It has taken awhile though. In the beginning I had to put on my "mean mom" hat. It's second nature now.

That's what I tried once, and it just did NOT work. But maybe I wasn't forceful enough about "this is YOUR job, to make sure sure that I get the papers that need to be graded, NOT MINE.":sneaky2:

Some of my kids have had trouble with this concept but, if they forget to turn something in to be graded then they can't go on to the next lesson on the next day. If they discover that they forgot to turn something in, then they have to wait for a chance for me to grade the previous day's work before they can go on and sometimes it take me quite a while to "remember" that they needed that one item graded before they can finish up their school day. Sometimes it's even in the evening before I manage to get around to it. That may sound mean, but usually it only takes once before they remember to turn everything in.

I rarely have to go chasing down workbooks anymore. It has taken awhile though. In the beginning I had to put on my "mean mom" hat. It's second nature now.
What is second nature, them giving you their stuff? Or you wearing your "mean mom" hat? LOLOLOL!!!:lol:

Some of my kids have had trouble with this concept but, if they forget to turn something in to be graded then they can't go on to the next lesson on the next day. If they discover that they forgot to turn something in, then they have to wait for a chance for me to grade the previous day's work before they can go on and sometimes it take me quite a while to "remember" that they needed that one item graded before they can finish up their school day. Sometimes it's even in the evening before I manage to get around to it. That may sound mean, but usually it only takes once before they remember to turn everything in.
LOL my kids would be like "Oh bummer...can't go on with the next lesson....so sad.....";)

One thing that has helped here is having my older kids e-mail me their papers (essays, summaries, research projects, anything typed) as a Word attachment. I then use the Review feature in Word to make comments and e-mail it back. Sometimes the comment is simply: "See me about this sentence." Often, the next time we are sitting down to a meal or are driving in the car, we might discuss some aspect of a paper. This cuts down on floating papers and has solved our lost paper problem, at least for the assignments they type.

Edited by Luann in ID

My kids have no problems turning their work it. They turn in papers/pages/worksheets into their shelf.

The workbooks is another story. I have a section for each subject area. So they can always go to it to continue on with their work even though I am behind in correcting. I hate having to find the individual workbooks, then the correcting key, then my red (green, blue, purple colored) pencil, then a spot, then some time.

I mark what they get wrong and write the page number on the front page of the book. They put a dot next to the page number to tell me that they corrected it. I go to that page and check to see it is corrected and then I cross the page number off. VERY Schoolish. Actually my kids say nowaways the teachers don't correct their work and they are right. I remember I had to correct and go over their homework papers and such. They would get a big packet every couple of weeks and I had to sign and check off the packet to say we looked over it, made corrections and discussed it. My kids told me that the teachers gave them the answer key and they corrected it themselves. I guess the teachers aren't getting paid enough to go home and correct loads of papers and books on their time off. They do have peer corrections but I notice the peers don't do an adequate job whatsoever.

The problem is ME. I never seem to find the time to correct their work. I am WAY behind.

I am either teaching, directing the kids to their chores, chasing toddlers around, doing read a louds, spending time with husband, doing errands, going to church, taking a shower....coming here to listen to advice and reviews.

When do I have time to do the dumb corrections? Then I have to correct the corrections? Ugh! Then I have to correct the corrections' corrections. At that point I make them come to me so we can do it it right. But that takes time out of our teaching time and we fall behind in schedule during the day and we are still homeschooling til 9pm at night.

Please tell me when you correct? I have actually taken my kids work to correct in the emergency room when my husband had to go for some reason. I think I even did it when I was in the er myself--I forget what was wrong with me but I could still correct at least. I correct during meals which stink....when do you all do it?

Edited by happycc

LOL my kids would be like "Oh bummer...can't go on with the next lesson....so sad.....";)

Oh, I forgot the important part. My kids know that their school day isn't over until I say so and in this case they would be giving up their free-time activities to wait on me to grade so they could finish their school day.

Really, I'm not usually too mean about it . . . but because I have so many, I do usually line up a few more lessons with other kids rather than drop everything to grade at that instant.

I "only" have four- and just three of those are school-age. Right now I just have everyone pile everything on a certain part of the kitchen counter. As I have time, I go through the pile. I require that all workbooks be left open to the page I need to look at, but I usually have to nag to make that happen. I can see from this thread this is only going to get more complicated as the kids get older so I appreciate the ideas.

Sorry - my method is not helpful to you. I check everything as they complete it. I don't know why I find this easier but I do. I guess I just can't imagine chasing them around hours later trying to explain any errors or get them to make corrections.

I do love the idea of a central basket for completed work but I know it couldn't work here. Kinda like some of the favourite curricula that is out here right now. I love the idea of it but it just wouldn't work here!

Sorry - my method is not helpful to you. I check everything as they complete it. I don't know why I find this easier but I do. I guess I just can't imagine chasing them around hours later trying to explain any errors or get them to make corrections.

Oh...no chasing. ;) It just goes back in their folder with Xs on it and instructions to correct it. I list on their assignment sheet what needs to be corrected and expect them to correct it the next go around. If they are stumped they can interrupt me (or might have to wait a few minutes), and I can help with those few items. But since I have 5 kids to grade for with at least 5 things to grade per child (some more), there is no way I'd be able to stop what I'm doing every time they got done, just to grade their stuff. LOL it takes me from 8:30-4:30 to do school with them every day, WITHOUT pausing to grade things along the way!:lol:

Mine pile their completed work on the counter right above where our school bookshelf lives. I grab books to grade here and there, usually pretty quickly after they finish. I don't like waiting and doing it all at once because then it would take forever. I also make them fix mistakes, so they do that the same day. (I'm teaching 5 this year; two of them are young enough that I'm sitting right there with them while they are working so I catch mistakes immediately. The oldest 3 are at varying degrees of independence; I help as needed (I bounce around between them) and they know to put their work on the counter when they are finished.)

I was just about to ask this same question. I know there is a good answer for this in my book Managers of Their Schools by Teri Maxwell but I am on vacation and don't have access to it right now. I had our schedule all planned out and then I began to get worried that there was no way we would finish what I need us to accomplish before lunch (we have outside activities every afternoon) because I added in a phonics program for my 4 and 5 year olds that will take longer than what I originally planned. My thought now is that maybe I'll start earlier with my early riser and have my day go like this:

6:00 Work with 4 year old

7:00 Work with 5 year old

8:30 Math with 8 year old

9:00 Math with 10 year old

9:30 Language arts with 8 and 10 year old together

11:00 Memory Work with all

12:00 8 and 10 year old do individual work while I correct

1:00 lunch

This requires that we have a good corrections system in place and I have thought through all these ideas on here. Right now I'm leaning towards two folders and a magazine file box. One folder would hold the loose papers for the week on one side and the other side for the daily papers so they know exactly what pages to complete that day and I only have to refill the folders once a week. The second folder would hold work to be corrected by me on one side and work to be fixed by them on the other side. If a paper needs no corrections it comes out of the folder once I've looked it over and put in a bin of papers to be filed or perhaps one file per child that I can put into their binders at the end of the week or whenever I get to it.

The magazine file box holds their workbooks and folders so that they are in one place when I go to grab it to correct their work. I will use sticky flags to mark pages they need to correct. That way I can easily remove them when they have been correctly corrected....lol. One other idea I had was to put the stickies on top of the pages to signal that it needs to be corrected and they can move it to the side of the page to signal that they have corrected it and I can double check.

I really do want to move toward letting them check some things themselves such as their Thinking Skills, Latin, and Greek which have full answer keys.

When they begin to do their pages the next day they can then go back and make corrections from the previous day before starting new pages. I think this will keep me from chasing them down to do corrections after our day is supposed to be done. But I may change my mind on that one.

As for loose papers....I HATE that too. This year we didn't have very much of that except our Saxon math papers but this coming year we will have more with LOE and Saxon phonics and some copywork I made. I think the only way around that is some sort of consequence for papers laying around (and that goes for workbooks too). This summer we had a lot of this and my daughter actually completed several days worth of pages in her brother's workbook because she didn't realize it was his when she found it on the floor. So in the fall we will definitely have stricter policies in place for this!!!