Menu

placement test say way below level

faiths13

i gave my two ds's diagnostic test today for what level they would be in math and LA for CLE. The problem is they seem to have gaps in knowledge. They know a little of this and that from different grades up to where they were last year (5th & 7th) but they also have a bunch of things they never learned from each year. So when I gave them a test to see which year they were at they had to much missing knowledge to be at grade level and sometimes would end up being far below grade level. My 8th grade ds is scoring to do best in 4th grade math, 5th grade LA because he never learned to do certain things, or never mastered it. For example, he never learned to diagram and there is lots in CLE, he never quite got fractions, but then other higher math he did get (as well as other lower math he didnt get). So I am really unsure of where to place them. Should I just place them at the lower levels that they scored at and move them through the stuff they already know and focus on what they dont, or should I just put them in grade level, or maybe just one below and hope that works out?

I don't think I'd drop all the way down to 5th in grammar. It spirals, so you should be able to fill in the gaps as you encounter them. Drop down one level and move slowly or two levels and speed through at double time. You don't want to dumb down your own kids.

For math, I think I'd use Aleks for a couple of months. If you do an hour a day you can make quick progress catching them up to grade level.

I also gave my 8 year old son those same exact tests today, (well, tried too, he fought me every step of the way), and he's supposed to be going into 3rd grade...he just had so many gaps, I went ahead and ordered the 100 in both math and language. Just one of each to start, I figure if he is able to do it, I'll move him up.

I also gave my 8 year old son those same exact tests today, (well, tried too, he fought me every step of the way), and he's supposed to be going into 3rd grade...he just had so many gaps, I went ahead and ordered the 100 in both math and language. Just one of each to start, I figure if he is able to do it, I'll move him up.

well its good to know its not just us!

If it were me, I'd locate the major gaps and fill them in. Get a book on diagramming (like this one), maybe Key to Fractions and work through them, then re-test.

Good luck.

:iagree: It seems like there'd be a lot of unnecessary repetition to back that far up, not to mention a whole lot of frustration on the student's part to be reduced to "baby work." But if you address the gaps your testing shows, then can you test again?

:iagree: It seems like there'd be a lot of unnecessary repetition to back that far up, not to mention a whole lot of frustration on the student's part to be reduced to "baby work." But if you address the gaps your testing shows, then can you test again?

there are quite a bit of gaps. its not just one or two things. its several things in each level i tested for (4-6)

:bigear: And the experts suggested..... ? I love the customer service at CLE. I bet you got great advice. :)

:) they suggested moving up a level in math (if i wanted) because they do lots of review in the beginning for the previous level, and that if the main problem in LA was diagramming, to move them up and get the extra diagramming books.