Menu

After 10 years of nagging,

Mine finally went earlier this year. I had nagged for years, but he didn't go until his nephrologist brought it up to him. I had told him for years I thought he had sleep apnea because of his snoring. When the report came back from the sleep study it showed that he had moderate to severe sleep apnea. I forget how many times the report said he stopped breathing in one minute, but it was scarily high. It took him a while to get used to using the CPAP machine, mainly because he prefers to sleep on his stomach and he can't do that while using the machine. His blood pressure has lowered so much since he started using the machine that his nephrologist was able to take him off one of his blood pressure meds. I think he feels much better during the day now too. I sleep much better now too since I don't have to listen to the timber-rattling snoring!

My DH went for a sleep study about 14 years ago and ended up having surgery.

The surgeon whittled out his hangy thing, took his tonsils, and rototilled his nose. He was in ICU for a day or so after surgery. The surgery really wiped him out.

Jealous.

I haven't been working on him quite ten years, though, maybe there's hope still. Until such miraculous moment, I continue to be his CPAP machine, counting apneas to 20 seconds then poking him to make him breathe. :banghead:

It only took 3 years of nagging to get my dh to go for his study, but the he was so bad the sleep center people put him on the CPAP after only two hours of "sleep".

After that one night of good sleep in the sleep center, he clings to his machine like a toddler clings to his teddy bear. He has only had one night without his machine since he got it 2.5 years ago, and that was when it got separated from him because of a flight delay.

The power went out the other night for 5 hours and I was quickly reminded of the misery of our former life! I hope your dh gets the help he needs. :grouphug:

Yeah, who knows if he'll actually wear the mask, but at least he won't be able to deny his issues anymore! We haven't slept in the same bed for about 4 years now. I turned my scrapbooking room into my bedroom because I just couldn't sleep with the racket. I can still hear it through the walls, but usually I can get back to sleep.

It only took 3 years of nagging to get my dh to go for his study, but the he was so bad the sleep center people put him on the CPAP after only two hours of "sleep".

After that one night of good sleep in the sleep center, he clings to his machine like a toddler clings to his teddy bear. He has only had one night without his machine since he got it 2.5 years ago, and that was when it got separated from him because of a flight delay.

The power went out the other night for 5 hours and I was quickly reminded of the misery of our former life! I hope your dh gets the help he needs. :grouphug:

This was mine.

also he can carry the machine on the flight with him. It does not count against him as a carryon, it is a medical device.

DH went 11 years ago and he's a happy, lovely person when he sleeps with his mask on. Not so much when he doesn't. That CPAP mask is a lifesaver!

yes it is. and there are different kinds of mask, I would get my dh to go back and look for one that fit comfortably if he wasn't wearing his.

YAY.

CPAP/BiPAP users who belly sleep should try the SleepWeave mask it is cloth and adjust better than the plastic masks.

Thanks. I'll have him ask about this at his next appointment. I'm pretty sure they know he's a belly sleeper. Wonder why they didn't mention this option to him?! :confused:

Yeah, who knows if he'll actually wear the mask, but at least he won't be able to deny his issues anymore! We haven't slept in the same bed for about 4 years now. I turned my scrapbooking room into my bedroom because I just couldn't sleep with the racket. I can still hear it through the walls, but usually I can get back to sleep.

So basically, when he goes for this sleep thing, he'll stay there overnight, and you'll finally be able to get a decent night's rest, right? ;)

Maybe they could keep him for a couple of extra days, you know, for scientific and diagnostic purposes... :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, though, I'm glad he's going and I hope they're able to help him. :hurray: