Menu

If You Fall...

Tazzie decided that doing up Bazinga's outgrown collar around his ankles and hopping around the livingroom would be a good idea, which prompted me to state the following:

"If you fall and break your face, I'm NOT fixing it for you!"

I'm pretty sure *normal* families never say such things to each other.

*puts another dollar in Kid's Future Therapy Jar*

and here I thought it was going to be the same outcome as 2ds, who decided to wear a box like a coat without having free arms. he fell forward and cut his head requiring stitches. at least the birthday party was ending . . . .

Tazzie decided that doing up Bazinga's outgrown collar around his ankles and hopping around the livingroom would be a good idea, which prompted me to state the following:

Totally normal here. "If you cut your toes off in the lawn mower, don't come running to me!" Said to the boy operating the lawn mower BAREFOOT!!!!! :glare:

(Yes, he was required to come inside and put on his steel toed work boots which probably still are no match for lawnmower blades but will at least help out when the mower throws a rock.)

Faith

Sounds normal to me. Of course, when they come wailing because of some microscopic scratch, I tend to look at the other kiddos and say "Get the knife, guess it's got to come off."

Maybe I'd better start a future therapy jar...:lol:

Yeah, we don't have college funds. We have the therapy jar.

That sounds absolutely normal to me.

Along with, "should we cut it off?".

Or, "it's a long way from your heart, it'll heal before you get married."

And if they do end up getting hurt doing the very thing I told them not to do, they get "Huh, sure sucks to be you."

Tough love and all that... :lol:

When one of the kids is screaming their heads off because they scratched a body part and sympathy has been offered and a reasonable time has gone by, I have been known to offer to remove the offending body part.

I do this all the time :lol: I say "get my tools we to to amputate immediately!"

I have also been known to say, no blood, no broken bones, quit yer catterwalling.

When doing something stupid like Imp listed, I tell them if they get hurt they have to find their own way to the ER as I am too busy to take them

I have been told I am mean because I don't fret over every little boo boo. Give me a break.

The day ds13 got thrown off a horse and he climbed back on with his arm bleeding from wrist to elbow was a proud day :D You may scream and cry for a broken bone but otherwise suck it up buttercup, I can't fix you up if you don't sit still and shut up ;)

Ahhh, tough love...it's all the rage :tongue_smilie:

I would totally say something like that !:)

When I was a kid my dad used to say stuff like "forty years from now you'll never remember it!" or for something like a stumped toe he would ask "you want me to cut the other one off so you will forget about that one?". :lol: good times!

I tell them that if they crack their heads open that they have to clean up the blood. :D

If they have a scratch, I have offered to perform surgery, but nobody takes me up on it.

I tell them to call the waambulance.

Good one!:lol:

I mean really...we are just preparing our children for the real world. As many point out, no one will be holding their hand and coddling them as a grown up, right?

I like to use the words hooligans, wild animals, lollygagging, and that there will be no mollycoddling. Makes me sound intelligent to others when they see my children running around like chickens with their heads cut off. :lol:

Totally normal here. "If you cut your toes off in the lawn mower, don't come running to me!" Said to the boy operating the lawn mower BAREFOOT!!!!! :glare:

Not to hijack the thread, but that could totally happen! I dated a boy in high school that was wearing sandals while mowing the lawn on a downward slope. He slipped, his foot went under the mower, and cut off his big toe. :eek::ack2: Poor guy!

Sometimes we stand over the injured one and say...

"We can rebuild him."

(Now, who gets this reference? :D)

...."We have the technology, to make the world's.first.bionic.kid.!"

Snort, now just think of all the things I could get done around here with a bionic teenager! Hmmm......

Faith

Sounds normal to me! But then I don't know anyone who would consider us normal.

My favorite are...

(said with as much pretend sympathy, and thickest southern accent as I can) " Oh! poor baby, does it need a kiss??? Come let moma kiss it for you!!" even my 7yr. old will roll her eyes at me. I've been known to use this one Loudly and in public :D

or

If said child is hollaring or whining... "I better see blood, or hush"

or

"If you {insert favorite melodramatic wound}, Your paying to fix it!"

Tough Love :001_wub: Just make sure they know the love part.

Growing up I was taught to tough it out, and I hated hearing kids whine over little stuff, so I have tried to teach mine to not make a big deal out of every little thing. They were also taught basic first aid and are responsible to clean and bandaid small ouchies, but make sure they know to come if they really are hurt! One of mine cut his foot pretty bad, and came dripping down the stairs, asking for a bandaid :eek: Afterwards, we had a discussion about how much blood was "to much" for a bandaid. :D