Menu

7:45am Me: Good Morning! Please get dressed and pick up your room. Meet me at the table at 8:30.

8:30 Me: *reminds those who are not finished what they still need to do.* I set pancakes, peanut butter, and syup out. Breakfast has to be finished by 9. I will put away the pancakes at 9.

Boys look panicked. Everyone is STILL not finished with room/dressing.

Girl, 15: I didn't want pancakes anyway.

(this is said in front of hungry panicked boys)

9am: everyone upstairs playing. Me putting away pancakes preparing for whines.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

We're having a hard time getting moving this morning too. Our new schedule puts us leaving at 11:30 on Monday mornings so DS can go to science and writing class and oldest DD can go to OT. Their independent work needs to be done and checked before then. The kids are moving like sloths, the 4yo is whiney and the 1yo is being a terror this morning. Ahhhhh! Happy Monday!

Yeah, I hear you. We're not starting school until mid-September, but I've already started setting alarm clocks and forcing people to get dressed first thing, even if we have nothing going on that day, in the hopes of heading off exactly what you've just described.

(Of course, that means I should probably also start doing the same thing for myself :blushing:)

I tried the "putting away breakfast" thing so we started schoolwork on time here, but everyone involved turned into whiny muffins (including me!) and school went terrible.

What worked for us was mandatory attendance at breakfast and if chores weren't done before schoolwork started, then they had to use their free time in the afternoon/evening to finish the chores instead of playing.

Loss of free time accomplished what no amount of nagging could do.

Yes, I've done that, more than once.

We're not back at school until next week, but the signs are not looking good so far. DS13 at 12.05 pm today, when I drew back his curtains and stole his covers (after calling him for the sixth time), just groans "Ooh ... wha'd'you do that for?" :001_huh: :rolleyes:

I tried the "putting away breakfast" thing so we started schoolwork on time here, but everyone involved turned into whiny muffins (including me!) and school went terrible.

What worked for us was mandatory attendance at breakfast and if chores weren't done before schoolwork started, then they had to use their free time in the afternoon/evening to finish the chores instead of playing.

Loss of free time accomplished what no amount of nagging could do.

I hear you. I finally broke down and gave a small, but high protein snack just now.