Menu

Sadlier Oxford vocabulary workshop or Dynamic Literacy vocabulary?

apple4

• 1 year later...

DS1 uses Vocabulary Workshop and we've both been happy with it.  I plan on continuing it with him and starting DD1 on it as well.   It doesn't take much time (he only does a couple pages a day), something he can work on independently while I work with one of the younger ones, and he has good retention.  

I have used both, though it has been a while since I used Dynamic Literacy.  DL is too expensive, and I didn't have the time to invest to use it properly.  I don't know if it would have produced good results since I only used it for one year.  I believe that the research shows that vocabulary is learned best with other methods rather than what DL does despite DL's claims.

I like Vocabulary Workshop.  My kids do the workbooks independently.  I grade them and go over any mistakes.  If I went over all of the words, it would probably be better, but we just don't have the time for it.  Even so, my son has been using and applying new words from Vocabulary Workshop which makes me pleased with the program.  My plan it to stay with Vocabulary Workshop.

What level to start after CE2 and also do we need to get the teachers manual and what edition?

We've been using the 2005 edition and will probably stick with it given that I already have the TM's. I buy them through our virtual charter so there hasn't been any issue with getting them (I know that independent HSers sometimes have had difficulty with that).

My oldest placed into Level B (7th grade) after CE 2. She's now on Level E and I plan on taking her through the end of the series.

My DS doesn't have as strong a working vocab as his big sister, so I'm leaning towards starting him in Blue (5th grade) after he finishes CE2. He could handle B okay but I think he would benefit from going through the 5th & 6th grade books first.