Menu

Changing flight plans due to weather

The kids and I are supposed to be flying from DC to Charlotte to Gulfport, MS on Wednesday, getting inn about 5pm. Due to the hurricane, there is no way that the second part of that trip will happen, even though the airline currently says the flight is scheduled to be on time. There is an advisory for it however. We can change our travel dates without being charged the change fee, but if we do that we have to pay the difference in fares. We were traveling on Wed because it was the cheapest fare.:glare: I can't afford to pay more for this trip. It's also non-refundable.:glare:

I don't know what to do. Yesterday it looked like we could take the first part of the trip to Charlotte, then wait out the delay there (I was thinking 8-10n hours. Now it looks like we won't be able to get into Gulfport until Thurs night or Friday. So we would be stuck in Charlotte over 24 hours.

I can't afford to just not go. If we don't go, we can't see my dad until we can afford to buy tickets again next year. His health is not good and I was hoping the kids would get to spend some time with him before he declines any more.

I need some suggestions. If I knew for sure they would put us up in a hotel in Charlotte, I wouldn't be so worried, but I don't know what they will do. I can't spend days in an airport with 2 kids.

I don't fly a lot, so I don't know if this is possible. Do you have to keep the same flight, or could you change it to flying somewhere closer to Gulfport (Atlanta or farther), then drive the rest of the way?

The drive from Charlotte is around 10 hours, but from Atlanta it is only 6, and only around 4 from Montgomery.

It looks like the rental car idea won't work either because I didn't think of the fact that they might not even be there for you to return the car in Gulfport.

The only thing I can think of is getting a room overnight in Charlotte. I checked Hotwire and the best they have is a 2 star for $93 or a 3 1/2 star for $111. Both offer airport shuttles, so you would not have to rent a car.

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this.

Airlines can be real sticklers regarding flight changes, but I'm pretty sure that if a flight is canceled due to weather, they would not charge you extra, nor would they force you to take the first leg KNOWING the second leg is canceled.

Have you called them up and spoken to them in person? It could be that they are just waiting for the green light to list that second flight as canceled, and then they'll be able to more easily help you with your situation.

Last year when my daughter was supposed to fly and a blizzard was expected, we had the option of waiting to see if the blizzard would happen and cancel the flight, and then my daughter would have been put on the next available flight at no charge, or we could try and put her on an earlier flight. Delta had a policy that if you request a flight change to another flight within the same 24-hour period and you call within 3 (or something like that) hours of the new flight you want to take, there is only a small -- or maybe no -- fee. Different airlines have different quirky policies.

Definitely call the airlines and explain your situation. If you get an operator who is not helpful, try someone else a half hour later. Sometimes different people are more willing to help.

Also, if you cannot get through due to the storm and so many people calling in, or you just cannot find people who will help, sometimes you will have better luck working out a solution if you go the airlines counter in person. (If that's possible.)

check out flyertalk.com

this is a site for frequent fliers. they are usually more than helpful if you post a problem. someone may already be "on it", as they say.

most airlines have a "weather waiver" that allows you to change at no cost to you. when they put that into effect depends on each airline.

if you go to the airline's website, it may tell you more

hth,

ann

eta: there is at least one thread already

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles/1380456-hurricane-isaac-advance-planning-thread.html

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

eg. from delta

Tropical Storm Isaac is expected to impact travel to, from, and through Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and the U.S. Virgin Islands (see below). Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute info about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your wireless device or email with Delta Messenger.

Rescheduling Flights

If your flight is canceled or significantly delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following cities on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.

You can now edit your itinerary here at delta.com, or you may contact Reservation Sales to make changes to your itinerary. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.

Conditions & Restrictions

Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

We are flying US Airways and they do have and advisory out. It says we can change our flight without paying the change fee, but if the new flight costs more, we have to pay the difference. That could easily be several hundred dollars (especially times 3 tickets). We got the cheapest tickets there were, so paying extra if we change is a certainty.

I thought about trying to get a refund (don't know if it's possible) and go in October, but as the holidays get nearer, the fares go up.

I just don't see how I can win in this situation. Note to self: Never plan to fly at the height of hurricane season or on the anniversary of Katrina. :glare: