Menu

Ok, I am sick, need advice may at times be TMI

First, I don't have any insurance. I do have a doctor that will see me, but it will start at $100 out of pocket. I don't have that.

About 2 weeks ago something like a cold started. By last Sunday, I was not head congested but coughed so much, and so loud, and so often that my back hurt (and it would 'pop'), and my diaphram area was even painful. I even bought Poise Pads because there was no way I could control my bladder when I coughed. I just have felt very, very tired all week, but kept plugging thru. I blamed the fatigue on coughing pretty much every hour all night. I don't know if I ran a temp or not because I have not checked. Maybe 2 times I vomited after coughing because it was so forceful. I was taking mucinex regularly, claritin (like I always do), and sometimes a pseudafed because I was still having some nasal drainage that seemed to excite the cough.

Saturday the cough moved. It became deeper sounding but not as often. I also began losing my voice. By Sunday morning I had no voice. Not coughing as frequently, but now the tone has completely changed (sometimes almost a bark) and I am coughing up dark phlemy stuff. Almost everytime, I am light headed after I cough. The pain has moved to my chest area and I am not having the incontinence issues as I don't seem to be coughing as hard in the same way. My coughing is not so frequent. I can even go a couple of hours without coughing. I have thrown up once while coughing in the last 24 hours. I think I was running fever yesterday because after I took tylenol I later broke into a drenching sweat like when a fever breaks. I am tired, still can't talk, and my chest hurts mildly, and briefly, after coughing. Last night I slept nearly all night without coughing, but I am still tired this morning.

I have had almost no appetite for the last week, but have been eating lightly and drinking lots.

Can you get me thru this without going to the doctor?

Sounds very like what I have when I had pneumonia. It sounds like you have done all the right things -- mucinex/guiafenesin should have helped you if it were just a cold virus.

I saw doctors on and off for three months and was not diagnosed correctly. Then one day it got so bad I was out of breath even while sitting down. I ended up in hospital for 5 days.

Can you call an internist and see if s/he could treat this -- might be cheaper than an ER. Levaquin is the antibiotic for pneumonia.

Oh, and another point. When I had pneumonia, I also got asthma -- haven't had it since. YMMV, but I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck -- and let us know what happens.

Is there a free health clinic in your area? There is usually a big wait at ours, but it might be a way for you to be seen without having to shell out $$ you don't have.

No free clinic here. Well, there is but you have to apply to be seen, provide all kinds of proof that you can't pay otherwise, and then it is only open twice a week. There is a waiting list now because they have more in need than they can see.

Thanks everyone. My dh told me to call the doctor. We will borrow the money if need be. I already owe the doctor from the last visit but I think she will keep working with me. My main concern is actually the price of the meds if she doesn't have any samples and the costs of things like x-rays if I have to be sent out for those. I have an appointment for 3:30 today.

I once had very bad bronchitis, and they said they should xray to check to see if it had turned into pneumonia. I asked how the treatment would change if it was pneumonia instead of bronchitis. No difference- antibiotics either way. So I declined the offer of the xray and figured if I got worse I could do that.

Just a thought -- I feel like sometimes we are subjected to additional tests that do not even impact the treatment -- so I would recommend that if they suggest X-rays you ask them if it is possible to skip. (Obviously don't skip if they think it is very important in your case!) Also, tell the doctor about your $$$ issues -- they can then make sure to prescribe the least expensive alternative.

:grouphug: Hope you feel better soon! Once you get the antibiotics, it is amazing how quickly you start to feel better and can sleep!

PLEASE go to the doctor and/or ER.

I do NOT want to frighten you, but my old Spanish teacher (she wasn't actually old, I think she was like 42) was sick for a week or so, with the same type of stuff. (I know because a good friend became a foreign language teacher too and they became friends) She didn't go to the doctor b/c she was "too busy" and "it'll pass".

By the time she did go, she had a bad case of pneumonia. They admitted her to the hospital, both of her lungs collapsed and about two weeks later, she died.

There were a lot more details than that, they had a Caring Bridge site set up for her because after her lungs collapsed she kinda went into a coma and was in that state, for I wanna say, 2 weeks.

I have kept that in mind since it happened, a few years ago, and I go to the doctor at the first sign of illness.... as a matter of fact, I'm going today b/c my allergies have turned into a sinus infection. I could try to self treat with a neti pot, etc. but I won't chance it, I'm going in.

Please do whatever it takes, and get to a doctor.

The official diagnosis is bronchitis and laryngitis. Antibiotic, cough expectorant, and inhaler were prescribed.

Thanks so much everyone!

:grouphug: rest, and feel better soon.

I know what it is like to be held hostage with budget issues and illness. But, frankly, YOU DESERVE ADEQUATE MEDICAL CARE. :grouphug:

PLEASE go to the doctor and/or ER.

I do NOT want to frighten you, but my old Spanish teacher (she wasn't actually old, I think she was like 42) was sick for a week or so, with the same type of stuff. (I know because a good friend became a foreign language teacher too and they became friends) She didn't go to the doctor b/c she was "too busy" and "it'll pass".

By the time she did go, she had a bad case of pneumonia. They admitted her to the hospital, both of her lungs collapsed and about two weeks later, she died.

I lost one of my bridesmaids before my wedding in very similar circumstances. Pneumonia masked by asthma medicine that turned septic.