Menu

The downside to homeschooling boys/lack of boy socialization

Lack of boy socialization being a problem cause he's surrounded by girls all day.

Conversation with my son:

Mom there is a bug I've never seen before in my life.

(I go check it out. Cause what if it's something really bad?)

Oh yeah. It's a... Well, it's relatively harmless. Kill it throw it away.

Mom!

Just go get a paper towel, squish it and throw it away.

Mom, then it's all over my backpack!

Ok, get a paper towel, pick it up carefully, squish it and throw it away.

Mom!

Do it.

Mom!

I take his face between my hands and say "You are a boy! Deal with it!"

Why did you say it's relatively harmless?

Cause, I don't know what it is. I've never known it to hurt anyone.

Why didn't you just say harmless?

Cause I don't know what it is.

Mom!

You are a boy!

In case you don't look at my sig - he is 11. He has taken care of bugs before. He's not afraid of them so this should be no big deal for him. In fact he's taken care of bugs for his sister who is afraid of bugs. This thing was about an inch long and had a lot of legs. I'd say it was a silver fish, but it was too big.

Why does the poor bug has to be squished?

Teach him to put a glass or plastic jar over it, slide a postcard or similar stiff paper under it, carry it outside and release it unharmed. I am not sure what being a boy has to do with killing centipedes.

This is what we do with lizards and tree roaches, routine visitors in our house. Sigh. We live in Houston. :)

Teach him to put a glass or plastic jar over it, slide a postcard or similar stiff paper under it, carry it outside and release it unharmed. I am not sure what being a boy has to do with killing centipedes.

:iagree:Both of my kids go to great lengths to 'save' bugs and take them outside. In winter when they find a stinkbug they get really upset about where to put it!

I don't know what reminding him of his gender is supposed to do other than shame him for not being masculine enough for you. I doubt that is your intention.

Everyone is allowed to be bothered by something regardless of their gender. I have two boys, one could care less about bugs. One is practically phobic. I have a female friend who is an entomologist. I don't see what gender has to to do with being bothered by a bug. Or is the showing of fear that you find unbecoming in man? You think that a boy/man should know how to hide his feelings? Or should be ashamed to admit fear? Or do you think that because he is a boy he should like bugs?

And if your daughter squashed the bug or picked it up and took it outside, would you then tell her, "You are a girl, you are supposed to scream at the sight of a bug. Now put that bug down and get the vapors!"

I agree that bug squishing has nothing to do with gender :lol:.

I've also never seen a problem with a boy being raised in a house full of girls. The one and only family I've ever met irl who homeschooled were a family we met on holiday who had one boy and three girls. Their boy was no less of a 'boy' than any of mine (who weren't homeschooled at that time). In fact, our boys loved him as he was far more interesting, creative and fun than any other boy they'd ever met. That family was one of the reasons we're homeschooling today :001_smile:.

:iagree: And if it was really a centipede, you should know that they do bite hard!

I don't see that "you are a boy" should matter. Girls should also be taught to deal with pests. Boys are not more capable of this than girls. I have two boys and I will not teach them that they are better at certain things just because they are male. I am the only sister of two older brothers and I had to fight hard against the idea that I was less capable of doing things just because I didn't have boy parts.

I agree with the others about the being a boy part not mattering.

OP, if it makes you feel better, though, I think it's pretty common with lots of kids of that age, whether they're in school or not. Once when I was teaching sixth grade (in a real school with 32 students in the class), a large spider wandered across the floor. I tried to convince some of the kids to catch it with a jar and put it outside, but no one would go near it. I ended up catching it myself and taking it outside while one of the braver students held the door open for me. Everyone, the boys and the girls, was afraid of that thing, and I earned lots of admiration from the kids for my "bravery." :lol: