Menu

First Time I Have Ever Done THIS! Putting the ball back in someone's court..........

typically when I sign up or volunteer for something I am going to get the job done no matter what......and I mean that......no matter what!

However, three weeks ago, dh and I attended a parent meeting as we had indicated interest in helping with Youth Ministry through our Church.

I volunteered to post an event announcement on the group's FB page (I did that), and volunteered to offer some marketing suggestions to increase attendance at the event.

I spent an entire day (that's right - 8 hours) two weeks ago researching, reading, and providing to the youth ministry leader my suggestions regarding increasing attendance.

My suggestion was live music (it's an outdoor fun fest). I contacted a local, fairly well known Christian band who happened to be not only affordable but had the date open.

The documents, contracts, riders were sent to me and the youth group leader. I have no authority to sign/authorize any of it which is fine with me.

I expressed to the leader that time was a factor and within 48 hours the band (whose leader is one of the nicest people with whom to communicate) would require an answer as they received other inquiries.

Youth leader tells me he doesn't think so. ok. I ask why (because I am curious) - no response.

I have to tell the band that they can release the date as we will not be moving forward but hope to be able to speak with them again in the future.

Youth leader emails me 12 days after I have originally presented the idea to him and asks if I think we can get the band.:001_huh: Tells me he has been really busy with alot on his plate (and who isn't?) and maybe we should try to sign the band now.

Below is the email I just sent him -- I didn't want to be snarky or nasty, but I wanted to be clear that this ship has sailed for me and I am not spending another nanosecond on it.

Hi, X:

Attached is the information regarding the live music -- This was originally sent to both of us on 8/14.

You will have to contact xxxxxxxxxxx directly regarding availability.

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx Band

xxx-xxx-xxxx

http://www.facebook.com/nameofband

He is incredibly accessible and an amazingly gracious, friendly person; communicating with him via email and facebook was a pleasure.

My advice would be to get on this right away if you are still interested in live music at the xxxevent.

I'm going to call you for wording the next time this happens to me! I was in the exact situation for the last month. I sent a couple emails and secured a location for a group meeting we are having. I also don't have the authority to sign. So I forwarded the info to the leader who needed to discuss it with the leadership. It took them over a month to get back to me. They finally let me know I could go ahead and book the DAY I was leaving on vacation. They had my dates!

Anyway, I wish I would have done what you did. But I made the calls and set it up. I shouldn't have!

I think you worded your note perfectly!

Thank you -- my dh is going to tell me I should have ignored it and not responded, but I cannot do that.:)

I think you were correct to send a brief response.

By sending the email you've let him know that you DID receive his message. Otherwise he could place blame on you by saying to himself or others, "well, I TRIED to get hold of her about it, but I never heard from her." Even though it was already his responsibility to make the next move, you've very nicely outlined that again. Perfect.

That's really perfect! Polite but firm :)

Thank you.

I agree with you. If you ignored the youth pastor, he might think you were "working on it," like say for twelve days, or something.... :lol: Your way is clearer.

Yes, and my concern was that it would look like I had dropped the ball.

I'm going to call you for wording the next time this happens to me! I was in the exact situation for the last month. I sent a couple emails and secured a location for a group meeting we are having. I also don't have the authority to sign. So I forwarded the info to the leader who needed to discuss it with the leadership. It took them over a month to get back to me. They finally let me know I could go ahead and book the DAY I was leaving on vacation. They had my dates!

Anyway, I wish I would have done what you did. But I made the calls and set it up. I shouldn't have!

I think you worded your note perfectly!

You message me and I will be happy to help you -- why do people think that the 'home' in homeschool means we are sitting at home doing nothing?????:confused:

I think you were correct to send a brief response.

By sending the email you've let him know that you DID receive his message. Otherwise he could place blame on you by saying to himself or others, "well, I TRIED to get hold of her about it, but I never heard from her." Even though it was already his responsibility to make the next move, you've very nicely outlined that again. Perfect.

Thank you -- that is precisely what my concern was -- in fact, as soon as I sent the email, I sent it again to everyone in the group who he informed that I was looking into getting live music. THAT way there is no question that I did what I was tasked to do.

:hurray::party::cheers2:

Well done. Having lived through youth group leader heck before, two thumbs up to you for requiring him to behave like a responsible adult in leadership, whose whole group will have to suffer now because of his lack of leadership skills.

Well said!

:hurray::party::cheers2:

Well done. Having lived through youth group leader heck before, two thumbs up to you for requiring him to behave like a responsible adult in leadership, whose whole group will have to suffer now because of his lack of leadership skills.

You handled it perfectly. Graciously and with respect toward the youth leader and self-respect. You hit the perfect note.

You handled with grace and firmness. :grouphug:

Thank you all so much! Your assessment means so much to me! I typically err on the side of *itchiness -- I am thrilled that you all don't think I did that. Thank you again!

Bravo!

You handled this situation well. It is unfortunate that the person who was In the position to sign the band decided to put it off. Asking the band now, at this late date, should be solely that person's responsibility now. Good for you for setting boundaries!

Calamine lotion and an antihistimine might help! :biggrinjester:

(You handled it perfectly by the way.)

Faith

:lol::lol::lol:

Bravo!

You handled this situation well. It is unfortunate that the person who was In the position to sign the band decided to put it off. Asking the band now, at this late date, should be solely that person's responsibility now. Good for you for setting boundaries!

Thank you - trust me, this is almost a first for me. :)

:party:

I know someone who works for someone who is always in a time warp regarding deadlines. I might have added on _____ date you told me you were not interested in having ____band perform and so you told them to release that date for their other offers. Just in case he forgot that it was his idea to not book the band. :glare:

Thank you all so much! Your assessment means so much to me! I typically err on the side of *itchiness -- I am thrilled that you all don't think I did that. Thank you again!

LOL, well my first thought was that your response was much nicer than mine would have been. So, I will agree with the others and say you were very gracious and you did exactly the right thing.