Menu

SOTW and Art History - correlating ??

Makita

I'm a newbie to the forums and to homeschooling. My kiddos are 6 (almost) and 3. We have been using primarily a Charlotte Mason style approach to learning thus far. However, I am very excited about a moving more towards a Classical Education. I have faith that these two styles can work very well together.

We've just started with Story of the World (Ancients) and I'd like to begin doing Art History (Picture Study) again as well. Does anyone have a list of artists that correlate well with Ancients?? Ideally, I would like the two subjects to build on one another.

Thank you.

Eva

I'm going to use Art in Story: Teaching Art History to Elementary Children, which was recommended on this board. It's available at Amazon.

It's divided into chapters that make it easy to correspond with history studies; some chronological, some by location. It appears very thorough - it starts with art in the ancient world, and ends with computer art!

Some of the chronological chapters: Art in the Ancient World, Ancient Greek Art, Ancient Roman Art, Middle Ages, Renaissance, 20th & 21st centuries.

Location chapters: China, Africa, Mexico, Americas.

Other chapters: Five European Masters (specific artists), Impressionism and Post Impressionism, Computer Art.

Each chapter has these lesson components: story, viewing the art, journal writing, art/drama activity. There are curriculum connections (connect the lesson to social studies, science, music or literature) and a resource list (adult and children books, a/v materials, web sites).

It looks EXTREMELY thorough, lol. We haven't used it yet, but it looks easy enough to cherry pick the activities you wish to do. I'd say the story component is worth it even if you do none of the extra activities. It's $31.50 at Amazon, free shipping. I plan to make notes in my SOTW AG on when to refer to it.

Hi Makita,

Just wanted to let you know that there weren't many specific artists to study during the ancient period of time...hard to come up with any as a matter of fact. But I if you are interested in books about ancient art, I do like the books suggested in TWTM in the logic stage. (linked below)

If you follow this link to my website and scroll down to option 2, you will find four books in a series that cover prehistoric, Egyptian, Greek, and Roman art and that is the best resource I have found to cover for the earlier grades. There are a few activities in each book but mostly reading and looking at examples.

Art Resources for Ancient time period

My fifth grade program includes picture study for this period of time and for some younger children it might work but for the most part I like to stick the picture study for ancient art in the logic stage.

Fifth grade

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Hi, have you considered enjoying some hands-on art that helps your dc get the feel of the period forms? I don't mean an art curriculum or even projects ( that is so exhausting) just some pick up and go stuff?

For ex., look at some cave pictures then paint on some paper (brown grocery bags work great) taped to the wall. Use lots of browns, yellows, reds,etc. Use sticks or thing found outside for brushes. Draw pictures of animals. Smash berries for paint.

For Egyptian pieces, make cuneiform hyroglphs, paint pretend gods like Osiris. Make up your own, with different animal heads.

For Greek art, get a clay pot or vase and paint it all the way around with black designs. Make pretend frieze with clay or paint one.

For Ancient Chinese, paint with black ink. Flower paintings in pink and pastels.

African art, masks, drums, small statuettes of people and animals.

I have a degree in the history of art. I think it's more important to have fun with form and concept when the children are young, rather than study books and flat pictures.

I think cerebral approaches to art appreciation for young children turns art into a dry, academic subject which people then choose to avoid as adults.

My 2 pennies

We used Gardner's Art Through the Ages as we went through SOTW. You can read from both (although Gardner's is not as engaging to a 1st grader). We also used the interet to look up pictures that didn't show well in Gardner's. Don't forget that art also includes architecture, the decorative arts (furniture, rugs, etc.), sculpture, and practical handicrafts.

I'm going to use Art in Story: Teaching Art History to Elementary Children, which was recommended on this board. It's available at Amazon.

Love this book! We use this and Great Artists by Marianne Kohl and do all sorts of art projects that tie in with the time period of our history. Great Artists doesn't start until the Medieval/Ren. era though.