Menu

First time not sure what to do.

Prahl

Hi there, I have a quick question. we just started our school year a little over two months ago. and we seem to have gone very quickly through math. we are using Singapore math. we will be done in 4 more weeks if I drag it out. do i just move her to 1st grade math or find another kindergarten book. I should also inform you guys that we also have done the activity books. is this normal to finish a book so quickly am i doing something wrong. she loves math and gets things very quickly. I just don't know what to do:confused:. she just turned 5 so I want to be careful not to overload. Thanks in advance.

I would just move on to the first grade books. If the writing is too much you could do the writing for her, use number stickers or stamps, or do more orally. My son also liked to play a lot of math games at that age, like Sum Swamp, addition/subtraction war, Yahtzee, Money Bags, a few Right Start games.

If you find that she is not ready to move ahead in Singapore, you could consider something more discovery-based, such as Miquon. You could spend the rest of the year just playing math games. (I like Games for Math by Peggy Kaye. Also check out www.livingmath.net.) You could try some Life of Fred, MEP or CSMP as a supplement. You could supplement with books from the library about math concepts. Check out the book list at the Living Math site.

What math are you using? Did you complete both the A and B books? Are you using the teacher guides and/or completing the little activities at the bottom of the textbook/workbook pages? We used Singapore Earlybird A & B with teacher guides for both. We did the majority of the hands-on activities, songs, etc. in the teacher guide, even when it was unnecessary. For the most part, we followed the Singapore schedule, but combined a couple of lessons here and there. It took us about eight months to complete both A & B. (Deduct about three weeks of break time in there.) We started SM 1A this past May. We still have a month or two with it.

There are a lot of factors that influence how fast you get through a curriculum. Unless your child is a whiz kid when it comes to math, you may want to slow down, particularly if your child is younger. (DD started at 4 years, 4 months.) Although it may not seem like it, SM 1A is a good deal more complex in spots. Not saying it's not doable because we're doing it and for the most part DD is doing a good job, but you may want to slow way down with it. There is a lot more pieces to complete with it. If you're child is older, SM 1A may be just what you need.

Hi there, I have a quick question. we just started our school year a little over two months ago. and we seem to have gone very quickly through math. we are using Singapore math. we will be done in 4 more weeks if I drag it out. do i just move her to 1st grade math or find another kindergarten book. I should also inform you guys that we also have done the activity books. is this normal to finish a book so quickly am i doing something wrong. she loves math and gets things very quickly. I just don't know what to do:confused:. she just turned 5 so I want to be careful not to overload. Thanks in advance.

We're doing Singapore essentials and my daughter is speeding through it. I'm adding MEP Reception and Miquon to make it go slower, but I'll be moving her to Math Mammoth or Singapore 1a as soon as we're done. It's not rushing if you are going at her pace.