Menu

chicken mummy smell question

MeganW

I bought the chicken on Friday, soaked it in alcohol for a few hours, and then we did the first part this afternoon (washing with red wine, drying, stuffing with kosher salt / washing soda / baking soda mixture).

My kids are already commenting that it stinks. I don't think they even know that meat rots out of the fridge and would smell bad, so I don't think they are making it up. I can't have messed up yet, can I?? It can't be rotting yet, can it??

I am REALLY stuffed up right now, so I am unsure what the smell is.

Should I be freaking??

Edited by MeganW

I don't remember any directions about soaking it in alcohol. If I remember right, we followed your steps above but never soaked them in alcohol. If the birds have a strong bad smell something is wrong. Ours had a bit of an icky smell at first, but not much, and very quickly that was replaced with a cinnamon / spicy / nutmeg / whatever smell. We have had our mummified chicken for several years and it just smells like delicious spices. We did the mummy wrap with camo fabric so it's pretty hilarious. I keep it in the living room on display. It's very entertaining. ;)

My "recipe" was a little different, and now I can't figure out where I got it. I used:

2 parts baking soda

2 parts washing soda

1 part Kosher salt

And I forgot the spices.

The kids were complaining WHILE we were doing the salt part. I guess I am really worrying that I might have a bad chicken. But seriously, I just bought it Friday from Walmart. It can't be bad yet!

I think there are others here that used washing soda. I did not and I don't think that's the problem. I think it was probably the combo of rubbing alcohol and red wine. I would make sure it is completely covered in salt and add some spices to it. The spices make a big difference.

Gotcha. I forgot the spices - I'll add those when I change the salt before bed. Cinnamon? Nutmeg? Something else?

I did this with my older kids a couple of times and quite frankly, it never really came out like I had envisioned. However, my youngest had a suffered the loss of a beta and instead of flushing the little guy, we mummified him and it worked beautifully, several years later it still looks great. I would skip the chicken.