Menu

Combining SL with HOD...anyone do it?

Momof2littles

I have googled and searched and I cannot find any specific answers about combining SL and HOD together.

Does anyone have experience? What books did you use when? Did you buy IGs for both programs? Can you link threads with specific info (not just "yes,I do it.")

Which cores work best with which hod guides?

Thanks!

I have been using Core K with Beyond over 1st and 2nd grades (using the IGs for both programs). I started off doing Core K only for half of 1st grade, then realized how much we missed the hands-on in Beyond, so started it in Jan. of 1st grade, but by the end of the semester we were missing the SL books, LOL, so we finished up the year with SL. Now at the beginning of 2nd grade we are finishing up Core K (7 weeks worth) and then plan to switch back to Beyond (22 weeks worth) and finish it out.

Going forward, I am considering three different plans:

- Continue with Bigger and Preparing as our main program, while adding in the read-alouds from Cores B and C as well as the SL science, and adding the history spines other than CHOW from Cores B and C to Preparing, then decide after Preparing whether to continue with HOD or switch to SL Core D

- Finish Beyond and then switch to SL for good

- Finish Beyond and add Core D read-alouds and readers to Bigger, then add Cores B and C read-alouds and spines other than CHOW to Preparing

They are both good programs and it is very hard to choose. I think Core K between LHFHG and Beyond is a really nice way to go about it. It is a nice way to bring in an international and missions focus at that age. It was just hard for us to do all year because of the lack of hands-on.

We need hands-on here, and HOD makes that so easy for us. However, we really like the SL books and the depth they offer in the early years. We plan to combine programs as long as we can, then make a decision on one of them and stick with it if we can.

HTH,

Kathy

This thread has made my day! We just started HOD a week ago. I own 6 SL cores but we want more than just great lit. But I miss the SL read-alouds. Duh! I can just read the SL read-alouds and do HOD!!! Thanks for turning on the light bulb for me. I even found this quick link to all of them so we can pick quickly from ours. I pulled out a slew of them and let the kids vote. We'll be reading George Mueller (from SL Core B) after we finish school today, and we can't wait! I love you ladies and this forum!!!:lol:

http://www.sonlight.com/read-alouds.html

I have been using Core K with Beyond over 1st and 2nd grades (using the IGs for both programs). I started off doing Core K only for half of 1st grade, then realized how much we missed the hands-on in Beyond, so started it in Jan. of 1st grade, but by the end of the semester we were missing the SL books, LOL, so we finished up the year with SL. Now at the beginning of 2nd grade we are finishing up Core K (7 weeks worth) and then plan to switch back to Beyond (22 weeks worth) and finish it out.

Going forward, I am considering three different plans:

- Continue with Bigger and Preparing as our main program, while adding in the read-alouds from Cores B and C as well as the SL science, and adding the history spines other than CHOW from Cores B and C to Preparing, then decide after Preparing whether to continue with HOD or switch to SL Core D

- Finish Beyond and then switch to SL for good

- Finish Beyond and add Core D read-alouds and readers to Bigger, then add Cores B and C read-alouds and spines other than CHOW to Preparing

They are both good programs and it is very hard to choose. I think Core K between LHFHG and Beyond is a really nice way to go about it. It is a nice way to bring in an international and missions focus at that age. It was just hard for us to do all year because of the lack of hands-on.

We need hands-on here, and HOD makes that so easy for us. However, we really like the SL books and the depth they offer in the early years. We plan to combine programs as long as we can, then make a decision on one of them and stick with it if we can.

HTH,

Kathy

Ahhhh!i wish I'd found SL and HOD LAST year when my daughter was 4.5!!

I'm doing p4/5 now but I wonder if I could mix in LHFHG now and then do core A with beyond?

I guess I don't know how SL matches up to HOD. (I wanted it combined for me! LOL!!) so is a good option just to do the read alouds as extra reading together?

Ahhhh!i wish I'd found SL and HOD LAST year when my daughter was 4.5!!

I'm doing p4/5 now but I wonder if I could mix in LHFHG now and then do core A with beyond?

I guess I don't know how SL matches up to HOD. (I wanted it combined for me! LOL!!) so is a good option just to do the read alouds as extra reading together?

I definitely think you could do P4/5 and LHFHG. I plan to do that with my younger dd next year. I hope to start P4/5 in Jan. of this her pre-K year, then finish it halfway through her K year so I can start adding in Core K with LHFHG. She is doing P3/4 and LHTH right now. HOD does not have a lot of the classic pre-school and K literature that I wanted to make sure we included. We actually added a lot of the Memoria Press read-alouds in K and 1st grade for my older dd, but I think P4/5 would work as well. (P4/5 is on its way here but I haven't used it yet.) LHFHG does not take very long so there was time to add more read-alouds.

I did find it hard to do Core K and Beyond in tandem. It pretty much turned into an either/or situation and it is taking us almost two school years to get through them both. (I'm trying to compress that, though.) The thing is, though, you have a "gap year" with both HOD and SL, so if you want to use it early on, you've got time to spread things out and try to do both.

SL is general in P4/5 and then cultures in K. HOD is bible as history for the first half of LHFHG and then a quick overview of world history for the 2nd half. Beyond is American history. It really doesn't matter much if you mix and match these early programs. I do think you could easily just add the SL read-alouds to HOD. It's harder to add HOD to SL than it is to add SL to HOD, because everything is integrated in HOD. It's much easier to pull parts out of SL that you want to use.

HTH,

Kathy

This thread has made my day! We just started HOD a week ago. I own 6 SL cores but we want more than just great lit. But I miss the SL read-alouds. Duh! I can just read the SL read-alouds and do HOD!!! Thanks for turning on the light bulb for me. I even found this quick link to all of them so we can pick quickly from ours. I pulled out a slew of them and let the kids vote. We'll be reading George Mueller (from SL Core B) after we finish school today, and we can't wait! I love you ladies and this forum!!!:lol:

http://www.sonlight.com/read-alouds.html

If you ever get a good schedule put together, please post! :lol:

Kathy

My dd is doing LHFHG and we are adding in the books from Sonlight 4/5 and some from K/Core A. HOD is the main program, though, I don't use the Sonlight IG at all. My son is doing BHFHG and it is full, I can't imagine adding another program. Occasionally he will ask for an additional read aloud, though.

I have googled and searched and I cannot find any specific answers about combining SL and HOD together.

Does anyone have experience? What books did you use when? Did you buy IGs for both programs? Can you link threads with specific info (not just "yes,I do it.")

Which cores work best with which hod guides?

Thanks!

I am using both SL and HOD. I can't choose really so I do both :) Right now I am on the last 6 weeks of P4/5 with my dd. This is her K year and she will be 6 in Dec. I think P4/5 is a great starting place because it transitions the kids from picture books to chapter books. The read alouds in LHFHG are just short chapter books, so by the time we are close to the end of P4/5 it is a good spot to start LHFHG. SL P4/5 takes about 30 minutes for us to finish and about 30 minutes for LHFHG so doing both really doesn't take that long togteher. If you add in a separate LA program that may take longer. I do LA K with dd also and then math. It is a pretty good place for her. I will most likely start her on Core A when she is doing better with chapter books. I did SL Core A with my ds for his K year and I wish I had waited till his first grade year.

For my ds I am using Core B and Beyond. I am close to the end of B right now and about 9 weeks into Beyond. The schedules don't really match up the way we do it, but HOD doesn't really add much time onto our schedule.

I had origionally intended on just doing HOD this year and combining my oldest 2 together in Beyond but they don't do well together yet so I just kept goign with Beyond for my ds and P4/5 with my dd. I liked HOD so much with my ds that I went ahead and got LHFHG for my dd.

Bigger looks like a nice step up next year so I will probably have to decided on which one I want to go with then for my son. They are both good programs and I really like them both. The plus side is you can do HOD and just add in SL readers and read alouds or use SL and add in what you want from HOD. The thing that gets me more for HOD right now are since mine are younger there are more hands on stuff scheduled in the guides and my kids love that. SL doesn't really give you the hands on that some kids like, but as they get older they may not need that as much. :)

My dd12 is glad for the hands-on in HOD! She hasn't hit the "older" yet I guess:tongue_smilie:. She says she is enjoying it more than MFW. I'm glad. I want them to love learning! But she is the same one who wanted us to add in the missionary stories bc/ we read Gladys Aylward last year and she loved it so much. So we just added those back in from SL and I think we will keep reading the rest of the SL read-alouds all year. :D

I am using both SL and HOD. I can't choose really so I do both :) Right now I am on the last 6 weeks of P4/5 with my dd. This is her K year and she will be 6 in Dec. I think P4/5 is a great starting place because it transitions the kids from picture books to chapter books. The read alouds in LHFHG are just short chapter books, so by the time we are close to the end of P4/5 it is a good spot to start LHFHG. SL P4/5 takes about 30 minutes for us to finish and about 30 minutes for LHFHG so doing both really doesn't take that long togteher. If you add in a separate LA program that may take longer. I do LA K with dd also and then math. It is a pretty good place for her. I will most likely start her on Core A when she is doing better with chapter books. I did SL Core A with my ds for his K year and I wish I had waited till his first grade year.

For my ds I am using Core B and Beyond. I am close to the end of B right now and about 9 weeks into Beyond. The schedules don't really match up the way we do it, but HOD doesn't really add much time onto our schedule.

I had origionally intended on just doing HOD this year and combining my oldest 2 together in Beyond but they don't do well together yet so I just kept goign with Beyond for my ds and P4/5 with my dd. I liked HOD so much with my ds that I went ahead and got LHFHG for my dd.

Bigger looks like a nice step up next year so I will probably have to decided on which one I want to go with then for my son. They are both good programs and I really like them both. The plus side is you can do HOD and just add in SL readers and read alouds or use SL and add in what you want from HOD. The thing that gets me more for HOD right now are since mine are younger there are more hands on stuff scheduled in the guides and my kids love that. SL doesn't really give you the hands on that some kids like, but as they get older they may not need that as much. :)

I think I messaged you on the HOD forum??

I just started p4/5 for kinder with my dd. She and I both love it so far! I have LHFHG and she wasn't quite ready for it at barely 5. She's 5.5 now and I want to try again when she's 6. I think we'll be about done with p4/5 around her 6th bday in the spring.

I have been thinking about putting LHFHG into a weekly grid format and then adding in SL to the grid. I think you're right that LHFHG and Beyond will be easy to add SL to, but then you have to choose.

I love the "heart" aspect of HOD (how they focus on the heart which is what it's all about IMO), but I dont like how "bossy" the guide is. I want more freedom to see what's coming up. The daily schedule seems to limit my creativity and the use of my brain to choose what's best for my child.

Does that make sense?

My dd12 is glad for the hands-on in HOD! She hasn't hit the "older" yet I guess:tongue_smilie:. She says she is enjoying it more than MFW. I'm glad. I want them to love learning! But she is the same one who wanted us to add in the missionary stories bc/ we read Gladys Aylward last year and she loved it so much. So we just added those back in from SL and I think we will keep reading the rest of the SL read-alouds all year. :D

I'm thinking about just adding in the read alouds and maybe the history if there is time?? I dunno!!

I cannot decide between the two!!!

I love the "heart" aspect of HOD (how they focus on the heart which is what it's all about IMO), but I dont like how "bossy" the guide is. I want more freedom to see what's coming up. The daily schedule seems to limit my creativity and the use of my brain to choose what's best for my child.

Does that make sense?

QUOTE]

That's funny. I have the complete opposite problem. I see too much with the weekly and need to limit myself so I wanted to put SL in a daily format to keep myself from going there ;)

Does that make sense?

QUOTE]

That's funny. I have the complete opposite problem. I see too much with the weekly and need to limit myself so I wanted to put SL in a daily format to keep myself from going there ;)

:tongue_smilie: Funny!!